Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Holy fuck, these guys are great! How have I missed them all these years?
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

aligreto

George

aligreto

Pink Floyd The Division Bell

I had the house to myself this afternoon so I cranked up the volume and really enjoyed this one again  8)

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on April 25, 2021, 01:13:44 PM
Pink Floyd The Division Bell

I had the house to myself this afternoon so I cranked up the volume and really enjoyed this one again  8)
Excellent Fergus!  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on April 25, 2021, 01:17:02 PM

Excellent Fergus!  ;D

One of those relatively rare and very enjoyable moments, Jeffrey  8)

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on April 25, 2021, 01:40:00 PM
Yes, I know what you mean Fergus. My favourite was always 'Wish You Were Here' along with 'Meddle' and 'Atom Heart Mother' (also 'Animals' - with its extraordinary cover image).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Papy Oli

Quote from: aligreto on April 25, 2021, 01:40:00 PM

I had High Hopes for this one...  :blank:
Olivier

Alek Hidell

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Roasted Swan

On a double-album drive the other day, in a moment of madness I revisited;

partly because I know people involved in the live concert tour of it.

I had forgotten what a piece of utter and total TOSH it is.  Get past the first iconic riff (don't worry if you miss it - it'll be back again ..... and again............. and again). Inane and empty is too kind a description.  I really cannot imagine why anyone would listen to this except as a precursor to a labotomy.  The music illustrates and tracks the dramatic narrative with all the detail and precision of a headless chicken.  Ninety minutes of my life lost forever........

aligreto

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 25, 2021, 02:45:42 PM
On a double-album drive the other day, in a moment of madness I revisited;

partly because I know people involved in the live concert tour of it.

I had forgotten what a piece of utter and total TOSH it is.  Get past the first iconic riff (don't worry if you miss it - it'll be back again ..... and again............. and again). Inane and empty is too kind a description.  I really cannot imagine why anyone would listen to this except as a precursor to a labotomy.  The music illustrates and tracks the dramatic narrative with all the detail and precision of a headless chicken.  Ninety minutes of my life lost forever........

:laugh:  :laugh: So you really liked it then?  ;D

DaveF

Quote from: vandermolen on April 25, 2021, 01:45:32 PM
My favourite was always 'Wish You Were Here' along with 'Meddle' and 'Atom Heart Mother' (also 'Animals' - with its extraordinary cover image).

Mine too, Jeffrey - Shine on you crazy diamond can easily make me cry.

My listening, and discovery, I'm ashamed to say, for the day:

Have always been a bit of a Cow fan, but this one has previously passed me by.  Quite extraordinary - the final track, Caucasian Lullaby, could almost be by Xenakis.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

steve ridgway

Quote from: DaveF on April 27, 2021, 07:24:47 AM

Have always been a bit of a Cow fan, but this one has previously passed me by.  Quite extraordinary - the final track, Caucasian Lullaby, could almost be by Xenakis.

Some great songs and lyrics on that one and indeed Caucasian Lullaby seems to be too much for the rock reviewers I've read. The previous Slapp Happy album, Casablanca Moon / Acnalbasac Noom I suppose might be of interest to lovers of 1980s indie pop but does nothing for me.

DaveF

Quote from: steve ridgway on April 27, 2021, 09:39:29 AM
Some great songs and lyrics on that one and indeed Caucasian Lullaby seems to be too much for the rock reviewers I've read. The previous Slapp Happy album, Casablanca Moon / Acnalbasac Noom I suppose might be of interest to lovers of 1980s indie pop but does nothing for me.

Thanks for the, er, non-recommendation, Steve - I may seek it out even so, especially if the divine Dagmar sings on it.

It probably says something for my "home" musical tastes that I found Caucasian lullaby the most easily-accessible number.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

aligreto

Beatles Rarities

This album mostly comprises the B sides of some singles etc. so this is not "unfound music" or anything like that. I already have most of the music on this album elsewhere but the reason that I keep this LP is because it contains a version of Across The Universe which is not the big Phil Spector production. I find this version, without the orchestration, to be very appealing.

George

Quote from: aligreto on April 28, 2021, 04:53:20 AM
Beatles Rarities

This album mostly comprises the B sides of some singles etc. so this is not "unfound music" or anything like that. I already have most of the music on this album elsewhere but the reason that I keep this LP is because it contains a version of Across The Universe which is not the big Phil Spector production. I find this version, without the orchestration, to be very appealing.

Cool stuff. I always loved Past Masters volume 2, maybe more than any other Beatles CD that I had. It has that version of Across The Universe, the electric version of Revolution, along with many other great songs that I don't have elsewhere:

George

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.

steve ridgway

Quote from: DaveF on April 28, 2021, 03:38:58 AM
Thanks for the, er, non-recommendation, Steve - I may seek it out even so, especially if the divine Dagmar sings on it.

I like Dagmar on the Art Bears and News From Babel albums, her singing (or in one case ear splitting screaming) goes well with the more experimental music.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: aligreto on April 26, 2021, 02:41:32 AM
:laugh:  :laugh: So you really liked it then?  ;D

In a parallel universe far far away...... perhaps!

aligreto