Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Quote from: George on April 28, 2021, 05:09:39 AM
Cool stuff. I always loved Past Masters volume 2, maybe more than any other Beatles CD that I had. It has that version of Across The Universe, the electric version of Revolution, along with many other great songs that I don't have elsewhere:

Good stuff indeed!

Quote from: George on April 28, 2021, 05:49:54 AM

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.

Nice!

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

George

Cato

The Go-Go's (now c. 60 years of age) have put out   :o    (Phrasing!  ???  ) a new hit song:

https://www.youtube.com/v/DK7oKcCQ7O8

Advisory: an unfortunate obscenity is twice used in the song, proving also that your Grandmother might need her mouth washed out with soap!   0:)

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Cato

Quote from: philoctetes on April 29, 2021, 03:32:32 PM
I love how happy they are, and the toon ain't half bad8)

Also, thanks for the profanity warning!  ;D

"...and the toon ain't half bad"

8)  Party on, Dude!   :D

Quote from: philoctetes on April 29, 2021, 03:32:32 PM

Also, thanks for the profanity warning!  ;D

The implication that they might consider being paid for the activity, which  - following the First Principle of Economics i.e. Nothing is Free! -  they wisely refuse to do for free, is rather disturbing!   ;)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

George

aligreto

Mustapha Tettey Addy: Les percussions du Ghana

This is intriguing, raw [almost primordial] yet quite sophisticated music making. What we have here is voice accompanied by basic percussion and there are some quite virtuosic performances here. The dance rhythms are infectious and definitely resonate somewhere deep down. Fascinating stuff.

Iota

Quote from: Cato on April 29, 2021, 03:13:54 PM
The Go-Go's (now c. 60 years of age) have put out   :o    (Phrasing!  ???  ) a new hit song:

https://www.youtube.com/v/DK7oKcCQ7O8

Advisory: an unfortunate obscenity is twice used in the song, proving also that your Grandmother might need her mouth washed out with soap!   0:)

Great!  8)

Here:

Stuck in a car park yesterday waiting for my AZ jab, I had a choice between Rite of Spring on the radio or Tubular Bells on cd, which were pieces I got to know at more or less the same time. TB won out, an album that still has the power to move me considerably, partly through its ability to summon up teen memories, 'happy highways where I went, And cannot come again ..' etc, but also in its own right.

Apart from anything else an extraordinary achievement for an 18/19 year old, both in composition and execution (playing every single instrument on the album), in which sense it hovers near Mendelssohn/Mozart type levels for me.

aligreto

Quote from: Iota on May 02, 2021, 09:10:17 AM

Stuck in a car park yesterday waiting for my AZ jab, I had a choice between Rite of Spring on the radio or Tubular Bells on cd, which were pieces I got to know at more or less the same time. TB won out, an album that still has the power to move me considerably, partly through its ability to summon up teen memories, 'happy highways where I went, And cannot come again ..' etc, but also in its own right.

Apart from anything else an extraordinary achievement for an 18/19 year old, both in composition and execution (playing every single instrument on the album), in which sense it hovers near Mendelssohn/Mozart type levels for me.

Great post and still a great album.
It was a very impressive achievement for a young man, albeit a very talented young man.
I listened to it again not so very long ago.

steve ridgway

Those look like fun. I recently found a few metal downloads I enjoy on archive.org - Allegaeon, Fallujah, Seven Daily Sins, Vögel. Much louder than the bands I was into in the 90s. 8)

aligreto

George

Portishead's incredible third album.

aligreto

steve ridgway

Univers Zéro. Would probably appeal to fans of Henry Cow's Western Culture although this has more emphasis on acoustic instruments (and was released a year earlier).

aligreto

vers la flamme

Jimmie Rodgers. What an incredible talent. These recordings sound great considering their vintage (1920s and '30s).

George

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: aligreto on May 03, 2021, 07:47:48 AM
Cohen: I'm Your Man

I love that album, especially "Manhattan", "Everybody Knows" and the "Waltz".

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

aligreto

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 07, 2021, 06:35:03 AM
I love that album, especially "Manhattan", "Everybody Knows" and the "Waltz".

Sarge

Yes, it is still a really good listen, Sarge.