Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: SimonNZ on May 27, 2021, 05:09:24 PM
My personal favorite EBTG would be Baby The Stars Shine Bright, which I think was two before the one you picture.

Listening to that one now. Teardrops is gorgeous.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Papy Oli

Olivier

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 01, 2021, 05:43:18 AM
8)

Rock on, Philo.  8)

He gave great concerts, particularly when he returned home to Dublin.
They wold sneak on to the stage in the dark, the lights would go on and Bang...off they would go while the crowd went nuts.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Françoise Hardy, Comment Te Dire Adieu.

aligreto

De Danann: Selected Jigs Reels & Songs

steve ridgway

Tangerine Dream ‎– Electronic Meditation. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood for anything Electronic or Meditative.

steve ridgway

Tangerine Dream ‎– Alpha Centauri.

aligreto

bhodges

The Manhattan Transfer: Swing - From 1997, and relatively short (c. 45 minutes), this is one of the group's finest recordings. I'm particularly fond of the arrangements of "Skyliner" and "A-Tisket, A-Tasket," the latter made famous by Ella Fitzgerald.

But arrangements aside, the jazz vocal talent on display is stunning.

--Bruce

SimonNZ

Quote from: Brewski on June 10, 2021, 09:03:10 AM
The Manhattan Transfer: Swing - From 1997, and relatively short (c. 45 minutes), this is one of the group's finest recordings. I'm particularly fond of the arrangements of "Skyliner" and "A-Tisket, A-Tasket," the latter made famous by Ella Fitzgerald.

But arrangements aside, the jazz vocal talent on display is stunning.

--Bruce

I haven't heard that since it came out - will have to give it another play.

I'm a big unapologetic fan of The Manhattan Transfer (I say unapologetic because they're scoffed at in some jazz circles) and their Vocalese is one of my favorite albums.

bhodges

Quote from: SimonNZ on June 10, 2021, 04:28:19 PM
I haven't heard that since it came out - will have to give it another play.

I'm a big unapologetic fan of The Manhattan Transfer (I say unapologetic because they're scoffed at in some jazz circles) and their Vocalese is one of my favorite albums.

So happy to find another fan of MT. I know they are looked at with disdain by some, which I cannot understand, since their vocal work is often brilliant. What they do can sound easy, but the arrangements and vocal tricks they execute are often quite difficult. (Not to mention, they sing beautifully in tune, which seems to escape some vocal groups.)

Maybe people view them as a bit bourgeois. But the group's influences -- Jon Hendricks, The Hi-Lo's, Singers Unlimited -- were highly regarded back in the day.

Haven't listened to Vocalese in some time, but will remedy that!

--Bruce

steve ridgway

Tangerine Dream – Oszillator Planet Concert. Included on my CD of Alpha Centauri but sounds more like something from the subsequent album Zeit. At least until it sounds more like Pink Floyd. ;)

aligreto

Davey: The Brendan Voyage

This is the story of the Irish monk St. Brendan who allegedly "discovered" North America centuries before Leif Ericson or the even more famous Italian. The work is a suite for uilleann pipes and orchestra. The boat is represented by the pipes. The pipes are played by the wonderful Liam O'Flynn, late of Planxty. The music is both exciting and atmospheric and has remained a firm favourite with me since I first heard it multiple decades ago.

bhodges

The Manhattan Transfer: Vocalese live in Japan (1986) - Found this gem on YouTube, a full concert from the group at their prime. Japan has always had a large MT fan base. (The group's album, Man-Tora! Live in Tokyo on Rhino is fantastic.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4ll0iYPyoY

--Bruce

SimonNZ

Quote from: Brewski on June 14, 2021, 09:53:32 AM
The Manhattan Transfer: Vocalese live in Japan (1986) - Found this gem on YouTube, a full concert from the group at their prime. Japan has always had a large MT fan base. (The group's album, Man-Tora! Live in Tokyo on Rhino is fantastic.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4ll0iYPyoY

--Bruce

I saw that on VHS way back when. I remember it had a cute bit where Tim Hauser makes a costume change in record time, gets back on stage and in position just as he has to sing his first line, Janis Siegel give him a I-cant believe-you-made-it look and he tweaks her nose.

My dad's second wife saw MT on the tour that produced their first live album, back when they had Laurel Masse, and she remembers Alan Paul running through the audience in just his underpants as he sang "Turn Me Loose".

Found at the secondhand store and playing the first of the five discs now:

Hadn't encountered this Smithsonian/Folkways set from 2000 before. Very impressive, not least for the thick book's worth of reading it has with it.

also picked up this three disc set:

TheGSMoeller

Anything and everything from Sparks.
Sparks is getting the spotlight recently with a new album, A Steady Drip, Drip, Drip (2020), a new movie-musical directed by Leo Carax titled Annette, and a documentary directed by Edgar Wright The Sparks Brothers.
I just discovered Sparks a few years ago so I'm still exploring their discography which is expansive.

steve ridgway

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 15, 2021, 04:41:28 AM
Anything and everything from Sparks.

They were one of the first groups I really liked in their hit single period around 1974/5. The Propaganda, Kimono My House & Indiscreet albums have some great tunes and hilarious, clever lyrics. I'm not keen on the previous A Woofer In Tweeter's Clothing but the first album, Sparks or originally Halfnelson from 1971 is a brilliant start to their career, with a couple of very odd tunes (Roger & Biology 2) and ending with a good loud guitar solo in (No More) Mr. Nice Guys. 8)

SimonNZ

My favorite later Sparks album would be the aggressively minimalist "Li'l Beethoven".

The opening track "The Rhythm Thief" also has on if the best videos ever, imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgGMU3puNJE

There's also a dvd out there of them performing Li'l Beethoven in its entirety to a Swedish audence which is facinating.

aligreto

71 dB

Lately I have been listening to Jean-Michel Jarre.

In late 80's I saw a Jarre concert on TV (Paris concert I think?) and I was blown away by his music and "laser harp" show. I got a compilation CD of his music, but it killed my interest. Rewind a few decades and I have discovered Tangerine Dream and decide to check out Jarre again a few years ago realizing that the compilation CD I have is actually really bad (idiotic selection of tracks) and in general his music is much more interesting. So I bought Oxygene Trilogy, Equinoxe, Magnetic Fields, Zoolook and Rendez-Vous.

Jarre's music is "controversal." It is often very skillfully composed with interesting dramatic chord progressions and creative use of colorful sounds, but Jarre also uses a lot "intentionally" stupid elements in his music which can get to my nerves, the reason why the compilation CD killed my interest. At best Jarre's music is absolutely fantastic electronic/synth music second to none. At worst Jarre is banal and annoying. It is difficult to say if Jarre is a serious artist or a conman of cheap tricks. Listening to his albums can be mind-bending: One moment he creates amazing electronic sound worlds but 5 minutes later he is doing the most banal music you have ever heard.

Now I am again into Jean-Michel Jarre. I bought a very cheap 5 CD set containing Concert in China, Chronology and Metamorphoses.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"