Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve ridgway

steve ridgway

Ash Ra Tempel who Klaus Schulze joined after the first Tangerine Dream album, playing drums and electronics.

vers la flamme

Quote from: steve ridgway on June 30, 2021, 10:04:05 AM
Ash Ra Tempel who Klaus Schulze joined after the first Tangerine Dream album, playing drums and electronics.

Dude, that's a killer album. I forget how I ever found out about it but I used to listen to it a lot back in high school (~10 yaers ago). Completely forgot it existed.

steve ridgway

Quote from: vers la flamme on June 30, 2021, 02:56:03 PM
Dude, that's a killer album. I forget how I ever found out about it but I used to listen to it a lot back in high school (~10 yaers ago). Completely forgot it existed.

Their second album, Schwingungen, is also great in its own way. No Schulze as he was sacked for refusing to stick to drums but some insane vocals from John L. and wild effects. 8)

71 dB

Jean-Michel Jarre - Waiting for Cousteau - Spotify
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

George

Joni Mitchell
Clouds
Ladies of the Canyon
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

steve ridgway

Popol Vuh - Affenstunde. Florian Fricke makes bleeps on the Moog synth he later played on Tangerine Dream's Zeit album before giving up and selling it to Klaus Schulze. Several sheep were harmed in the making of this record. :P

George

Karl Henning

Although I remember a time when its airplay saturation was obnoxious, it is one great single: Joe Walsh, "Life's Been Good."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

George

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 03, 2021, 10:13:59 AM
Although I remember a time when its airplay saturation was obnoxious, it is one great single: Joe Walsh, "Life's Been Good."

In case you haven't seen this. I think it is wonderful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIzyTk1fuf0

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Carlo Gesualdo

I'm listening the first LP of Treponem Pal, and Had to tell you folks I order there cult classic LP too Treponem Pal ''Aggravation'' LP 1991 release, whit the drummer of Celtic Frost my cult metal band all does, not a metal head, this album is  excellent, remind me of an odd mix of early Voivod (tribal conviction) per.se and Godflesh, very very nice purchase cost a lot, but very out of print album, not available in streaming.

8)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: George on July 02, 2021, 09:58:29 AM

Great album!  I still have that one--on LP.

Richard Thompson:  Rumor and Sigh from 1991

Pohjolas Daughter

Iota

Steve Hackett: Spectral Mornings

First listen to this. Its post-Genesis credentials are clear to see, but am enjoying it quite a bit.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Iota on July 11, 2021, 08:13:56 AM

Steve Hackett: Spectral Mornings

First listen to this. Its post-Genesis credentials are clear to see, but am enjoying it quite a bit.

My favorite of his solo albums, at least before the Genesis Revisited project.

TD: Trout Mask Replica
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Iota

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 13, 2021, 02:58:35 PM
My favorite of his solo albums, at least before the Genesis Revisited project.

Thanks for the implicit recommendation, I'll give that a listen sometime.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Iota on July 14, 2021, 09:27:46 AM
Thanks for the implicit recommendation, I'll give that a listen sometime.

FWIW, my favorite Hackett album is a toss-up between Voyage of the Acolyte, Please Don't Touch! and Spectral Mornings. Of his later albums, Beyond the Shrouded Horizon and Darktown are excellent. I can't say I'm a fan of his Genesis Revisited projects. :-\ I guess because I don't think they add anything new to the pieces and without Tony Banks on keyboards seems kind of like sacrilege, but, YMMV, of course.

Iota

Thanks, MI, nice to have a few more to put in the mix. The GR project does indeed sound a particular kind of thing, perhaps topical in light of recent discussion about arrangements on the DSCH thread, but will see how it goes when I get round to it.  :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 14, 2021, 10:00:15 AM
FWIW, my favorite Hackett album is a toss-up between Voyage of the Acolyte, Please Don't Touch! and Spectral Mornings. Of his later albums, Beyond the Shrouded Horizon and Darktown are excellent. I can't say I'm a fan of his Genesis Revisited projects. :-\ I guess because I don't think they add anything new to the pieces and without Tony Banks on keyboards seems kind of like sacrilege, but, YMMV, of course.

I don't think I've heard the Please Don't Touch! album. But the recording of the title track on Genesis Revisited II is a beauty.  Curiously, he did take a different tack for the first Genesis Revisited album (which I found rather engaging) Maybe the general reaction to that was unenthusiastic, and he went more with "faithful recreation" in II.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

It's long enough since I listened to it, I forgot that the album is titled Watcher of the Skies: Genesis Revisited. I remember the Newbury Comics boutique on Court Street where i chanced upon it, and bought it up.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA