Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

aligreto

Pink Floyd: A Momentary Lapse Of Reason





When I first came across this album I was not overwhelmed by it. However, over time, I have come to appreciate it more. It is very much a Gilmour influenced album which is fine by me. "On The Turning Away" , "Terminal Frost" and "Sorrow" are particularly fine pieces of music and performance.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Carlo Gesualdo

#28221
Pitch Shifter old school  Industrial, submit is awesome, first track is quite  enjoying, Love it, all song or classical  of there  on on Peaceville label yeah!!!


I received in the mail Pitch Shifter  industrial this morning. the bass sound huge , the drum machine of godflesh-ian,  the guitar is more death,yep and I guess that it.
8)

Also received lately: SKIN LIMIT SHOW '' wound freeze'' CD band from  on Lethal Label Austria, from U.K hard hitting industrial like it a lot, whit ex pitch shifter menbers.

And the last DEAD WORLD ''Thanatos Descends which is  super  good stuff, neato.

Pohjolas Daughter

Robert Plant and Alison Krauss:  Raising Sand


PD

aligreto

The Dubliners: The Best Of The Dubliners





The Dubliners are definitely the most renowned Irish ballad group and they also had a big international reputation which was based both on their performances as well as their individual personalities. They had a unique lead voice and a very fine banjo player and a fiddle player. This album is a live performance and it reflects their individual and collective talents which was the basis of their attraction. Their popularity, based on both talent and appeal at home and abroad, ensured the well earned longevity of their existence as an ensemble.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Pohjolas Daughter

I'm revisiting some Tori Amos CDs including one recent purchase called Strange Little Girls.  I was just about to put it into my either Give Away/Donate/or Resell pile(s) but thought that I would give it another go.  Part way through it, I decided that I wanted to listen to it on my better stereo system, but that will have to wait a bit.  Tori is known for having done some amazing covers of others music (as well as her own), but this album has received mix reviews.  By the way, it is just of others people's music.  I'm only familiar with some of the songs:  I'm Not In Love, Heart Of Gold, I Don't Like Mondays, and Happiness Is A Warm Gun.

To be fair, I wasn't paying the closest attention when I first played it.  It first struck me as more muted, quiet...not a lot of differences in tempo...upbeatness(?) vs. her other albums, so I suspect that that's why it didn't grab me the first time around.  Today, I listened carefully (after reading some comments) to the song by Eminem on it which is '97 Bonnie & Clyde which I listened to her speaking rather more than singing in a (how do I put it)... horrified silence?  Very powerful and disturbing song.

Since there are no printed lyrics in the booklet, I'll have to listen extra closely to the other tracks with which I'm not familiar.

In any case and as you all know that this often "happens", this lead me to dig around more on the internet including looking at the Wiki entry on her, I was surprised to find out that her first album was first released in the UK!  Found this to be surprising as she's from North Carolina.  Apparently her then record company Atlantic thought that she would do better there--at least initially.

Trying to remember how I first came across her music?  I know that it was sometime after someone introduced me to Kate Bush's music.  In any event, I was hooked.  Love Little Earthquakes and Under The Pink in particular.

Will be revisiting more of her music today me thinks!  :)

PD

SimonNZ

The Tom Waits, Lloyd Cole and Deleche Mode covers I thought we're also well done on that and I was particularly impressed with the inclusion of Joe Jackson's Real Men as the closing track.

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

k a rl h e nn i ng

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 18, 2021, 09:06:47 AM
I'm revisiting some Tori Amos CDs including one recent purchase called Strange Little Girls.  I was just about to put it into my either Give Away/Donate/or Resell pile(s) but thought that I would give it another go.  Part way through it, I decided that I wanted to listen to it on my better stereo system, but that will have to wait a bit.  Tori is known for having done some amazing covers of others music (as well as her own), but this album has received mix reviews.  By the way, it is just of others people's music.  I'm only familiar with some of the songs:  I'm Not In Love, Heart Of Gold, I Don't Like Mondays, and Happiness Is A Warm Gun.

Most interesting, thanks.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Pohjolas Daughter


steve ridgway

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 24, 2021, 08:47:53 AM
Rolling Stones' drummer Charlie Watts dies at 80.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-58316842

PD

Wow, who'd have thought any of them would have lasted that long? :o

k a rl h e nn i ng

Quote from: steve ridgway on August 24, 2021, 11:11:02 AM
Wow, who'd have thought any of them would have lasted that long? :o

And against type when the drummer is the straight member of the group ....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

I was surprised to learn several different things about him including his love of jazz, his love of horses (He and his wife raised Arabians), his longtime marriage to his wife (since 1964), his sense of style (love of traditional English suits/clothing) and how many people talked of him being a really lovely person.  :)

PD

Carlo Gesualdo

How about pure skronk rockers this morning from  Nederlands.

LEWD '' rivet''  and there 7''inch Hard/ Sponge lunch

Or there great live on NAILS records  Italy LEWD Live, love this stuff, it'S noisy, bass heavy, full of anger.

This is not punk nor metal , it's skronk-rock at is best,  noisy, garage, brutal.

Sorry guys I like heavy stuff  sometime that not genuine metal?  :(

Pohjolas Daughter


George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Carlo Gesualdo

Quote from: deprofundis on August 17, 2021, 07:22:10 AM
Pitch Shifter old school  Industrial, submit is awesome, first track is quite  enjoying, Love it, all song or classical  of there  on on Peaceville label yeah!!!


I received in the mail Pitch Shifter  industrial this morning. the bass sound huge , the drum machine of godflesh-ian,  the guitar is more death,y yet hardcore too and I guess that it.
8)

Also received lately: SKIN LIMIT SHOW '' wound freeze'' CD band from  on Lethal Label Austria, from U.K hard hitting industrial like it a lot, whit ex pitch shifter menbers. What my wet dreams are made of .

And the last DEAD WORLD ''Thanatos Descends which is  super  good stuff, neato. Heavy & oppressing of nature , noisy has hell heaten, like or hate it, I like it

drogulus

Quote from: aligreto on August 15, 2021, 04:59:28 AM
Pink Floyd: A Momentary Lapse Of Reason





When I first came across this album I was not overwhelmed by it. However, over time, I have come to appreciate it more. It is very much a Gilmour influenced album which is fine by me. "On The Turning Away" , "Terminal Frost" and "Sorrow" are particularly fine pieces of music and performance.


     I'm going through a Pink Floyd phase right now, with an emphasis on the early stuff I saw them perform.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:100.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/100.0
      
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0 Waterfox/56.6.2022.04

Pohjolas Daughter

Kate Bush's:  Aerial
Disc 1; started Disc 2, but decided to hold that off for the evening.

Enjoying it much better second time through.  :)

PD

drogulus

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 30, 2021, 10:29:10 AM
Kate Bush's:  Aerial
Disc 1; started Disc 2, but decided to hold that off for the evening.

Enjoying it much better second time through.  :)

PD

     https://www.youtube.com/v/W5wc1R0AQ_M

     I only found out about their connection recently. Someone sent Gilmour tapes of Bush singing and playing piano when she was in her mid-teens. He paid to have professional quality demos made which led to her getting a record contract.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:100.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/100.0
      
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0 Waterfox/56.6.2022.04