Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: drogulus on August 30, 2021, 11:05:21 AM
     https://www.youtube.com/v/W5wc1R0AQ_M

I only found out about their connection recently. Someone sent Gilmour tapes of Bush singing and playing piano when she was in her mid-teens. He paid to have professional quality demos made which led to her getting a record contract.
Thank you for that video; I'll watch it a bit later.  I knew that they had had a connection but had forgotten what it was.  I did find more here:

Here's a quote (I don't know exactly how accurate it is):  https://www.katebushencyclopedia.com/gilmour-david

"Gilmour was responsible for bringing Kate Bush to public attention. While she was still at school, her family produced a demo tape with over 50 of her compositions, which was turned down by record labels. Gilmour received a copy of the demo from Ricky Hopper, a mutual friend of Gilmour and the Bush family. Impressed with what he heard, Gilmour helped the sixteen-year-old Bush get a more professional-sounding demo tape recorded that would be more saleable to the record companies. Three tracks in total were recorded and paid for by Gilmour. The tape was produced by Gilmour's friend Andrew Powell (who would go on to produce Bush's first two albums) and sound engineer Geoff Emerick. Gilmour then arranged for EMI executive Terry Slater to hear the tape. Slater was impressed by the tape and signed her. Gilmour is credited as executive producer on two tracks on her debut album The Kick Inside. He performs backing vocals on Pull Out the Pin and plays guitar on Love and Anger and Rocket's Tail. In March 1987, Kate sang Running Up That Hill at The Secret Policeman's Third Ball with Gilmour on guitar. In 2002, she performed Comfortably Numb, singing the part of the doctor, at Gilmour's concert at the Royal Festival Hall in London. In September 2014, he attended one of the Before The Dawn concerts."

Do you like Kate Bush's albums/style Drogulus?

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 30, 2021, 11:15:59 AM
Thank you for that video; I'll watch it a bit later.  I knew that they had had a connection but had forgotten what it was.  I did find more here:

Here's a quote (I don't know exactly how accurate it is):  https://www.katebushencyclopedia.com/gilmour-david

"Gilmour was responsible for bringing Kate Bush to public attention. While she was still at school, her family produced a demo tape with over 50 of her compositions, which was turned down by record labels. Gilmour received a copy of the demo from Ricky Hopper, a mutual friend of Gilmour and the Bush family. Impressed with what he heard, Gilmour helped the sixteen-year-old Bush get a more professional-sounding demo tape recorded that would be more saleable to the record companies. Three tracks in total were recorded and paid for by Gilmour. The tape was produced by Gilmour's friend Andrew Powell (who would go on to produce Bush's first two albums) and sound engineer Geoff Emerick. Gilmour then arranged for EMI executive Terry Slater to hear the tape. Slater was impressed by the tape and signed her. Gilmour is credited as executive producer on two tracks on her debut album The Kick Inside. He performs backing vocals on Pull Out the Pin and plays guitar on Love and Anger and Rocket's Tail. In March 1987, Kate sang Running Up That Hill at The Secret Policeman's Third Ball with Gilmour on guitar. In 2002, she performed Comfortably Numb, singing the part of the doctor, at Gilmour's concert at the Royal Festival Hall in London. In September 2014, he attended one of the Before The Dawn concerts."

Best,

PD

You didn't ask me, but I'm a big Kate Bush fan, but mainly of her 80s work. That first album The Kick Inside (I didn't care all that much for the follow-up Lionheart) and then the later albums like Never for Ever, The Dreaming, The Hounds of Love and The Sensual World are all pop masterpieces, IMHO. Things start to decline with The Red Shoes and so many people loved Ariel her first album after a long hiatus where she raised her son, but for me, the magic was gone at this point.

drogulus

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 30, 2021, 11:15:59 AM

Best,

PD

I've been haunted by her ever since I first heard her and saw her incredible videos. It's like she came from another planet.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 30, 2021, 06:02:41 PM
You didn't ask me, but I'm a big Kate Bush fan, but mainly of her 80s work. That first album The Kick Inside (I didn't care all that much for the follow-up Lionheart) and then the later albums like Never for Ever, The Dreaming, The Hounds of Love and The Sensual World are all pop masterpieces, IMHO. Things start to decline with The Red Shoes and so many people loved Ariel her first album after a long hiatus where she raised her son, but for me, the magic was gone at this point.
I bought many of her albums back in the '90's.  For some reason or another I passed on her first album (think that it was because I already had a number of the songs on it on The Whole Story?) and also passed on The Lionheart (due to comments from friends).

Like you, and I'm sure a number of others here, I have and love her other albums.  Red Shoes is probably my least played album of hers and the last one that I purchased.  Aerial is currently on loan from a friend.  Had meant to listen again to the second disc from that album last night, but that didn't happen.  Yes, it's rather lower-keyed than her earlier albums, but people grow and change, mature, have relationships and sometimes kids too.  I think that the first time that I listened to it, in my mind, I was comparing it to her earlier albums which were very theatrical and more--how do I put it--more in your face(?)...out there(?).  This is still in her own unique style, but quieter, maybe a bit more reflective and with the added perspective of eyes and a heart and brain that have seen and experienced much more and thusly have more to share.

Quote from: drogulus on August 30, 2021, 06:39:16 PM
     I've been haunted by her ever since I first heard her and saw her incredible videos. It's like she came from another planet.
That's one way to put it.  ;D  I haven't ever seen her videos/shows alas, but have seen a few pictures of them.  I received the impression that they were quite the production--very theatrical.  She has a great way of creating all of these wonderful characters and stories!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on August 31, 2021, 10:05:45 AM
I really enjoy that CD too PD  :)
I am finding that I am appreciating it the more that I listen to it.

What do you and others here think of her "50 Words for Snow"?  I haven't yet heard that one.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 31, 2021, 03:01:51 AM
I bought many of her albums back in the '90's.  For some reason or another I passed on her first album (think that it was because I already had a number of the songs on it on The Whole Story?) and also passed on The Lionheart (due to comments from friends).

Like you, and I'm sure a number of others here, I have and love her other albums.  Red Shoes is probably my least played album of hers and the last one that I purchased.  Aerial is currently on loan from a friend.  Had meant to listen again to the second disc from that album last night, but that didn't happen.  Yes, it's rather lower-keyed than her earlier albums, but people grow and change, mature, have relationships and sometimes kids too.  I think that the first time that I listened to it, in my mind, I was comparing it to her earlier albums which were very theatrical and more--how do I put it--more in your face(?)...out there(?).  This is still in her own unique style, but quieter, maybe a bit more reflective and with the added perspective of eyes and a heart and brain that have seen and experienced much more and thusly have more to share.

PD

I guess this is one reason why Aerial didn't make much of an impression. It just doesn't stand out musically to me. The Sensual World isn't in-your-face either and has more of a toned-down, introspective mood to much of the music, but I find it more musically satisfying than Aerial. I'm all onboard for an artist maturing, but, at the same time, I listen to the music that I'm allured by and I just didn't feel any surprises with Aerial. I've listened to both discs of this album probably twice and each of these times, I just shrugged my shoulders and thought it was only decent, but I did like the second disc more than the first truth be told.

This is one example where I think The Sensual World is more of my cup of tea compared to any of her later output:

https://www.youtube.com/v/FWeRkJKdhE0&list=PLdB2qly-JTgC97s8iOPhmlZyHl7m1C41l&index=6

The piano part in Deeper Understanding is absolutely exquisite, but the whole arrangement of the song is a feast for the ears.

SimonNZ

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 31, 2021, 03:41:02 PM
I guess this is one reason why Aerial didn't make much of an impression. It just doesn't stand out musically to me. The Sensual World isn't in-your-face either and has more of a toned-down, introspective mood to much of the music, but I find it more musically satisfying than Aerial. I'm all onboard for an artist maturing, but, at the same time, I listen to the music that I'm allured by and I just didn't feel any surprises with Aerial. I've listened to both discs of this album probably twice and each of these times, I just shrugged my shoulders and thought it was only decent, but I did like the second disc more than the first truth be told.

This is one example where I think The Sensual World is more of my cup of tea compared to any of her later output:

https://www.youtube.com/v/FWeRkJKdhE0&list=PLdB2qly-JTgC97s8iOPhmlZyHl7m1C41l&index=6

The piano part in Deeper Understanding is absolutely exquisite, but the whole arrangement of the song is a feast for the ears.
Yes, she's created many wonderful works--all full of great and very different stories and vibes.  Do you have any of her EPs?  I have the two ones for The Sensual World plus the main commercial album.  One is called Aspects of the Sensual World and the other one (as far as I know) is "just" the EP of the song The Sensual World (also includes strictly an instrumental version of that song).

Theres' also one called Love and Anger which is fun.  There are all kinds of other releases out these days (you should check out her website) plus merchandise.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 02, 2021, 03:01:22 AM
Yes, she's created many wonderful works--all full of great and very different stories and vibes.  Do you have any of her EPs?  I have the two ones for The Sensual World plus the main commercial album.  One is called Aspects of the Sensual World and the other one (as far as I know) is "just" the EP of the song The Sensual World (also includes strictly an instrumental version of that song).

Theres' also one called Love and Anger which is fun.  There are all kinds of other releases out these days (you should check out her website) plus merchandise.  :)

PD

Well, I own these Kate Bush sets:

I also own this compilation:

And then after all of this, I own Japanese imports of The Kick Inside through The Sensual World. I didn't get any of her EPs, because I already own so much stuff that never made it to albums including alternate mixes, B-sides, etc in the afore mentioned box sets. In other words, I'm done collecting Kate Bush. ;)

SimonNZ

Pohjolas Daughter

Simon,

Looks like that you are having a fun trip down memory lane?  :)  Any favorite songs of Peter and Gordon's that you particularly love?

Here:

The Scottish folk group Silly Wizard's "A Glint of Silver"

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SimonNZ

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 03, 2021, 04:17:22 AM
Simon,

Looks like that you are having a fun trip down memory lane?  :)  Any favorite songs of Peter and Gordon's that you particularly love?

PD

Hi PD

I was aware of a couple of their singles before, but this is my first time hearing the albums and imo they hold up really well

I know its a standard folk revival warhorse and everyone has done it but I still really liked their 500 Miles and have played it five or six times over the last few days. There's also one called Land Of Oden that fascinates me and I've played a number of times.

Do you have any favorites of theirs I should look out for as I continue with their discography?

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SimonNZ on September 03, 2021, 04:33:23 PM
Hi PD

I was aware of a couple of their singles before, but this is my first time hearing the albums and imo they hold up really well

I know its a standard folk revival warhorse and everyone has done it but I still really liked their 500 Miles and have played it five or six times over the last few days. There's also one called Land Of Oden that fascinates me and I've played a number of times.

Do you have any favorites of theirs I should look out for as I continue with their discography?
Thank you for asking, but I'm embarrassed to admit that I really don't know their music!   :-[

Sorry that I can't be of more help to you.  Perhaps others here have some suggestions for you?  I'd be interested to know too.

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

ABBA: Super Trouper

Recent listening as they are currently topical!  8)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on September 04, 2021, 08:38:12 AM
ABBA: Super Trouper

Recent listening as they are currently topical!  8)
I saw that they had put out a new album.  Think that a couple of their singles are available to listen to on youtube too.  I'll have to check them out.  The only album of theirs that I own is a CD of their No. 1 hits.

By the way Fergus,  have you watched either of the Mama Mia movies?  I had rolled my eyes when I first heard about them but then stumbled across the first one on t.v.  An awful lot of fun!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 04, 2021, 10:00:51 AM

By the way Fergus,  have you watched either of the Mama Mia movies?  I had rolled my eyes when I first heard about them but then stumbled across the first one on t.v.  An awful lot of fun!  :)

No, PD, I have not seen those films. I get all my enjoyment from listening to the original albums  :)

aligreto

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on September 05, 2021, 04:40:34 AM
Davy Spillane: Atlantic Bridge

That's a nice album.   :)  Can't remember whether I have it on LP or on a CD...  :-\

PD
Pohjolas Daughter