Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: The new erato on October 21, 2021, 05:23:26 AM
This is a very good recording with fine singers (not always the case in recordings of musicals).  Some very fine and reasonably well known songs (A Fellow Needs A Girl, What A Lovely Day For A Wedding).

I find Rodgers own quote quite to the point; "Of all the musicals I ever worked on that didn't quite succeed, Allegro is one I think most worthy of a second chance".
Thank you for the info about it.  I had never heard of it before and noticed on the front cover that it said "First Complete Recording", so was guessing that this was a work which they hadn't published before.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SimonNZ

right now its the 16-minute "Highlands"

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

The new erato

Quote from: Todd on October 22, 2021, 05:37:11 PM

Their first really great album. Bursting into the scene as groundbreaking songwriters.

George

Been too long since I have heard this one.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SimonNZ

SimonNZ

I gave this one play when it came out in 2015 before rejecting it. But recently I've been listening to late Dylan and been recognizing how much his own torchy ballads appearing on 90s albums draw on the Songbook tradition and that its not surprising that he himself acknowledged the influence. So I'm listening to this again and feeling that...yeah, it still sounds like bad karaoke Sinatra.

I've still never heard the Sinatra-parody albums Fallen Angels and Triplicate, and now still have no desire to. Somebody want to tell me why I'm wrong?

Iota

SimonNZ

One of his best, and not just of his later albums.

Iota

World Party: Goodbye Jumbo

Predecessor to Bang! mentioned earlier. Music and ideas just spill out of Karl Wallinger, another great album.

George

Quote from: Iota on October 26, 2021, 10:14:54 AM

World Party: Goodbye Jumbo

Predecessor to Bang! mentioned earlier. Music and ideas just spill out of Karl Wallinger, another great album.

Not only my favorite World Party album, but one of my favorite albums by anyone!

SimonNZ

I've heard a couple of people deduct points in rating this album for its prominent use of the accordion. Which is nuts because its never right in your face and is part of an interesting instrumentation ( accordion, mandolin, violin, pedal steel) which make even the lesser tracks more worthy.

I'm so used to hearing the somber and heartbroken delivery of "Forgetful Heart" from concert bootlegs that its something of a shock to go back now and hear how mean and spiteful, though equally powerful,  the original was.

Iota

Quote from: George on October 26, 2021, 10:36:14 AM
Not only my favorite World Party album, but one of my favorite albums by anyone!

I can understand that! I first heard Karl Wallinger in The Waterboys, on This is the Sea, sometime around 1990, which I found a class band. But he really came into his own when he formed the Waterboys I think, an exceptional talent.

George

Pohjolas Daughter

Dusty Springfield:  Dusty in Memphis.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Makes a change - don't laugh.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Papy Oli

Quote from: vandermolen on October 28, 2021, 12:59:25 PM
Makes a change - don't laugh.

Not what comes to mind first for craggy music, Jeffrey  :P

(not a bad choice in any way either  8) )
Olivier

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on October 28, 2021, 10:30:56 PM
I went to the premiere of that film in London as a small boy.  0:)
Sweet!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

George