Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: George on December 22, 2021, 10:57:13 AM

That's a great album George.  By the way, are you able to hear much difference in terms of the sound of this version?  Have you ever tried to do a side by side comparison (blind would be the best but that necessitates having another person administer it)?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

George

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 22, 2021, 11:00:21 AM
That's a great album George.  By the way, are you able to hear much difference in terms of the sound of this version?  Have you ever tried to do a side by side comparison (blind would be the best but that necessitates having another person administer it)?

PD

I compared it to the original CD and it is clearly better IMO. Bigger sound with better resolution.

George

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: George on December 22, 2021, 12:00:51 PM
I compared it to the original CD and it is clearly better IMO. Bigger sound with better resolution.
Thanks for your thoughts George!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Bert Jansch: It Don't Bother Me

In the 1960s the emergence of the folk based singer/songwriter was a real phenomenon. Jansch was in this category. This is old but still relevant, nostalgic and evocative music for me. I used to live to hear solo guitar compositions like Tinker's Blues, The Wheel and Lucky Thirteen. These are meaningless trivialities on one level but yet gems that were so important in other ways. I particularly like that style of fingerpicking guitar playing but I am unashamedly of that time.

George

Pohjolas Daughter

Just listened to CD 1 (Act I) from Kate Bush and the K Fellowship "Before the Dawn" and enjoyed it.   :)

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

More Kate Bush yesterday and today...

I went to play the second CD from that set, and my combo SACD/CD/DVD player couldn't read it!  When I insert a CD, etc., it whirs it around for a short bit to detect what kind of media it is, says it, and then stops.  At this point, I can then push play.  Yesterday, I tried twice in a row and also looked at the CD, but it couldn't detect what it was and wouldn't play, so I went on to CD3.  As it was a present, I told the person who gave it to me.  I tried to play it also in my inexpensive under-the-counter player/radio in the kitchen and it would play fine there, but obviously, I want to be able to play it on my good system.

Later on in the day, I tried again and it read it!  Today, I tried again and it played fine.  Trying to figure out what happened as I've never had this happen before now?  Was there some speck of dust blocking the laser beam on it?  I always lightly dust off any CD, etc. going into the player (with the kind of cloth that you can use on your eyeglasses)?  Or had some dust entered into my player?  I do try and be very careful with all of my equipment and CDs, etc.  I don't want to keep this set if the CD is going to be temperamental in the future.   :(

PD

p.s.  By the way, this is a great set!  Wish that I could have been there to have watched one of her shows live.  It's from 2014.
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Bobby McFerrin: How The Rhino Got His Skin & How The Camel Got His Hump

I have recently been reading some of Kipling's writings so when I came upon this offering I could not but give it a listen. This is a narration of some of the Just So Stories. It is a presentation with "accompaniment". It is definitely something different and quirky to listen to. Jack Nicholson Occasionally narrates, in his own inimitable style. The "effects" and "accompaniments" are quite different and engaging. I have not quite heard the like of this before. It was a very interesting and entertaining listen.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on December 27, 2021, 02:48:27 PM
Bobby McFerrin: How The Rhino Got His Skin & How The Camel Got His Hump

I have recently been reading some of Kipling's writings so when I came upon this offering I could not but give it a listen. This is a narration of some of the Just So Stories. It is a presentation with "accompaniment". It is definitely something different and quirky to listen to. Jack Nicholson Occasionally narrates, in his own inimitable style. The "effects" and "accompaniments" are quite different and engaging. I have not quite heard the like of this before. It was a very interesting and entertaining listen.
I can well imagine that it would be quite interesting listening to Jack Nicholson narrating those stories!   ;D  I don't know many of his stories, but loved the movie of "The Man Who Would Be King".

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Paul Simon: The Ultimate Collection

This was one of the presents that I gave my wife for Christmas. She has always been very fond of the Sound Of Simon. This has got multiple plays since it was first opened.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on December 28, 2021, 05:01:17 AM
Paul Simon: The Ultimate Collection

This was one of the presents that I gave my wife for Christmas. She has always been very fond of the Sound Of Simon. This has got multiple plays since it was first opened.

That was nice of you!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 28, 2021, 05:06:21 AM
That was nice of you!  :)

PD

My good wife does not afford herself the time to relax and sit in front of a turntable enough [a rare occasion, in fact], which is something that she likes to do. I take every opportunity that I can to help augment her relatively small, but good, personal collection in the hope that she will do it more often. 

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on December 28, 2021, 07:04:28 AM
My good wife does not afford herself the time to relax and sit in front of a turntable enough [a rare occasion, in fact], which is something that she likes to do. I take every opportunity that I can to help augment her relatively small, but good, personal collection in the hope that she will do it more often.
0:)

Question is though:  Is she allowed to play your LPs?   ;)  Just teasing you!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 28, 2021, 07:06:43 AM
0:)

Question is though:  Is she allowed to play your LPs?   ;)  Just teasing you!

PD

Yes, she is, of course, PD, but unfortunately she does not, which is a problem in itself.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on December 28, 2021, 07:15:36 AM
Yes, she is, of course, PD, but unfortunately she does not, which is a problem in itself.
Drat!  Hope that she can find a way to take a bit more time for herself to listen to more music; always a balance between chores and music....at least at my end. 

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 28, 2021, 07:29:11 AM
Drat!  Hope that she can find a way to take a bit more time for herself to listen to more music; always a balance between chores and music....at least at my end. 

PD

Oh, it is nothing as mundane as chores that prevents her from allocating the requisite time, PD. Her driving passion is playing basketball. As a Lady of a Certain Age she is still very active in the highest levels of the sport at club level here. She would spend every available minute that she had on court if Covid restrictions allowed it.  ;D

George