Author Topic: Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!  (Read 2267879 times)

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
Re: Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!
« Reply #28560 on: February 04, 2022, 04:30:10 AM »
Ah!  O.k. then, I'll do some googling later.  :)

By the way, I also love her recording of Jig Of Life on it. 

PD

Cheers, PD. It is a great track.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Hey Bert!
« Reply #28561 on: February 04, 2022, 07:11:24 PM »
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Hey Bert!
« Reply #28562 on: February 05, 2022, 08:04:03 AM »

Every Saturday morning, my girlfriend picks three artists to listen to, often based on their birthday month, and I choose the albums. These are this weeks picks.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #28563 on: February 07, 2022, 06:55:16 AM »
Chris Rea: Dancing Down the Stony Road

I played this wonderful 2CD set over the past couple of days. It contains great songs, truly wonderful and heartfelt singing [with a most suitable voice] and playing.

Big hat tip to Olivier [Pappy Oli] for steering me in this direction.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline Papy Oli

• Veteran member
« Reply #28564 on: February 07, 2022, 07:32:11 AM »
Chris Rea: Dancing Down the Stony Road

I played this wonderful 2CD set over the past couple of days. It contains great songs, truly wonderful and heartfelt singing [with a most suitable voice] and playing.

Big hat tip to Olivier [Papy Oli] for steering me in this direction.

Glad you liked it, Fergus. One of my personal top favourites indeed.
Olivier

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #28565 on: February 08, 2022, 07:19:18 AM »
Steve Winwood's Arc of a Diver.  On LP (I cleaned it this morning.).  It was a Christmas present from a friend.  Really enjoying it (now about half-way through Side 2).  I knew two of the songs on it, but I'd never heard the whole LP before now.

And it cleaned up quite nicely!

PD

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #28566 on: February 08, 2022, 08:03:06 AM »
Carol King: Fantasy

From this set:

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #28567 on: February 09, 2022, 06:04:03 AM »
Dire Straits

• Veteran member
« Reply #28568 on: February 09, 2022, 09:38:54 AM »
Dire Straits

A classic!  ;D

One of my favorites.  I'm continually amazed at how excellent her song writing and interpretation skills are..choice of other people's works and amazing collaborations.  and the sound is excellent too!  I can't recommend this album highly enough.

Emmylou HarrisRed Dirt Girl

A sample for you.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z56qqu7u2BU

PD

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #28569 on: February 09, 2022, 11:28:28 AM »

Emmylou HarrisRed Dirt Girl

A sample for you.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z56qqu7u2BU

PD

Excellent, PD. You might like this live version if you do not already know it:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JE_sUN_M7p0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JE_sUN_M7p0</a>

• Veteran member
« Reply #28570 on: February 09, 2022, 11:42:57 AM »
Excellent, PD. You might like this live version if you do not already know it:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JE_sUN_M7p0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JE_sUN_M7p0</a>
I did see at least one video uploaded with Mark Knopfler and almost linked to that; however, I thought that I would share the original album release with you instead.  Thanks though for that imbed--I did enjoy it!

And, most of all, I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed that song.  There are other gems on that album, but that's probably my favorite.  The poignancy of going from "...but one of these days I'm gonna swing my hammer down away from this red dirt town.  I'm gonna make a joyful sound."

To (at the end):  "Now the stars still fall on Alabama.  Tonight she finally laid that hammer down without a sound in the red dirt ground."

Can't believe that this album is now 22 years old either!

As an aside, I know that she and Mark Knopfler made at least one album together; it's on my Wish List.  :)

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #28571 on: February 09, 2022, 12:45:44 PM »

And, most of all, I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed that song.  There are other gems on that album, but that's probably my favorite.  The poignancy of going from "...but one of these days I'm gonna swing my hammer down away from this red dirt town.  I'm gonna make a joyful sound."

To (at the end):  "Now the stars still fall on Alabama.  Tonight she finally laid that hammer down without a sound in the red dirt ground."

Yes, PD I thought that it was an excellent song, excellently delivered. It captured quite a lot; there is a whole world in there. To me, the utter futility and despair of it all was that the brother never got further than Viet Nam: I was standing there with her when she got the telegram. A whole life and world shattered right there!

• Veteran member
« Reply #28572 on: February 10, 2022, 12:30:17 AM »
Yes, PD I thought that it was an excellent song, excellently delivered. It captured quite a lot; there is a whole world in there. To me, the utter futility and despair of it all was that the brother never got further than Viet Nam: I was standing there with her when she got the telegram. A whole life and world shattered right there!
Yes, Fergus.

PD

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Hey Bert!
« Reply #28573 on: February 10, 2022, 12:09:39 PM »

Cash Unearthed - 5CD box set

Found a copy of this in a used shop today and (despite the loud mastering) am really enjoying it!

Offline LKB

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    something between my ears
« Reply #28574 on: February 10, 2022, 10:50:03 PM »

There is a DVD called, " Down from the Mountain. It is essentially the record of a benefit concert held in Nashville back in 2000, given by many of the musicians who feature in the film O Brother, Where art Thou?

ELH participated, and at one point was filmed woodshedding on Red Dirt Girl in the green room while waiting to go on stage.  8)
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #28575 on: February 11, 2022, 12:15:09 AM »
...and, jawdroppingly, cuts off that fine performance mid lyric to check on baseball scores.

Offline LKB

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    something between my ears
« Reply #28576 on: February 11, 2022, 01:13:41 AM »
...and, jawdroppingly, cuts off that fine performance mid lyric to check on baseball scores.

Addictions ( if you want to call it that ) inspire that sort of reflex. Anyway, there's an entire universe of compulsive behaviors worse than a need for baseball.

And she did get the album out, after all.  :D
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

• Veteran member
« Reply #28577 on: February 11, 2022, 04:47:02 AM »
There is a DVD called, " Down from the Mountain. It is essentially the record of a benefit concert held in Nashville back in 2000, given by many of the musicians who feature in the film O Brother, Where art Thou?

ELH participated, and at one point was filmed woodshedding on Red Dirt Girl in the green room while waiting to go on stage.  8)
Sounds like a good DVD!  I have the soundtrack to Oh, Brother; it's a good one!  Trying not to laugh now thinking of "The Soggy Bottom Boys"!  :D

Oh, noooo! lol

And I should add for Fergus' benefit as well as anyone else here who didn't know and might be interested, Emmylou Harris also wrote "Red Dirt Girl".  :)

PD

p.s.  Haven't listened to Wrecking Ball (the album) in a while; think that that will be part of my afternoon listening.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #28578 on: February 11, 2022, 05:34:22 AM »

And I should add for Fergus' benefit as well as anyone else here who didn't know and might be interested, Emmylou Harris also wrote "Red Dirt Girl".  :)

PD

Thank you both.

I did not know that she had written the song, PD, but I somehow assumed that she did; so no surprise there.

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #28579 on: February 11, 2022, 07:32:39 AM »
Wrote the whole album, in fact. At Daniel Lanois urging.

And it's a desert island disc.

I was also lucky enough to see her on the tour for the album, which was a great show.