Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinP

Quote from: VonStupp on June 25, 2022, 03:41:22 PM
Fun story. I don't know Headed for the Future at all. Giving it a quick listen, it sounds terrible!  :laugh:

I just listened it to myself, and I think if you got rid of the cheesy backing tracks and replaced them with something more suitable for him, it would be a much better song, if still not a chart-topper. (But then, it got up to #10 on the adult contemporary chart of 1986, so what do I know?)

As is, it comes across as an embarrassing attempt to update his sound to a sound that is more dated than his classic sound (which isn't really dated, at least not in the negative use of that word).

SimonNZ

Beautiful Noise and Heartlight are both good albums right through, if anyone feels like more ND outside of the singles.

Operafreak

Tibor Harsányi: A Hungarian in Paris-  Charles Wetherbee (violin & viola) & David Korevaar (piano)

The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

George

George

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 24, 2022, 06:42:09 AM
On the ignore list you go !  >:D :laugh:

A fair comment on the sameness, I like this album a fair bit but the mood has to be right to listen to it.

I think George is a big Steely Dan fan, he might able to recommend some other albums of theirs that might be in a different vein, if any.

Kinda on this subject https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxaxHYxnY9o

I haven't watched it yet.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

vandermolen

I enjoyed the Pet Shop Boys at Glastonbury (watching on TV). I also enjoyed the Paul McCartney more than expected.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

71 dB

Kate Bush - Hounds Of Love
Beach House - Thank Your Lucky Stars
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

SimonNZ

Todd

Sasami, Squeeze.  Neoclassical Metal meets Country Pop.  In the latter, not entirely helpful pseudo-category, Ms Ashworth more than a few times struck me as a mix of Sheryl Crow and Liz Phair.  Her shredding solo on one track is like Annie Clark meets Jeff Hanneman.  The final track, Not A Love Song, demonstrates the artist's formidable compositional and arrangement skills.  There may very well be other artists making music like Sasami, I've just not heard them.

aligreto

Todd

aligreto

Damien Rice: O

Damian Rice is an Irish singer-songwriter whose music has an interesting and engaging "voice". This is a very impressive album in terms of the quality of the songwriting, music and performances. The songwriting is of a very high quality as is the arranging on the album [whoever did it]. There are a host of very talented musicians featured on this album. The album is a very interesting mix of styles and the quality of performance is always of the highest standard throughout. The music is filled with both atmosphere and emotion and it is an album that I particularly like the sound and the feel of.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Libertad Lamarque: Canta a Homero Manzi. 

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Papy Oli

Quote from: aligreto on June 30, 2022, 08:59:37 AM
Damien Rice: O

Damian Rice is an Irish singer-songwriter whose music has an interesting and engaging "voice". This is a very impressive album in terms of the quality of the songwriting, music and performances. The songwriting is of a very high quality as is the arranging on the album [whoever did it]. There are a host of very talented musicians featured on this album. The album is a very interesting mix of styles and the quality of performance is always of the highest standard throughout. The music is filled with both atmosphere and emotion and it is an album that I particularly like the sound and the feel of.

I remember Cannonball and The Blower's Daughter being the only two tracks I enjoyed from the album back then. One to revisit in the future maybe to see how it fares.
Olivier

George

This is the best new (to me) album I have heard in a long time. Absolutely stunning. HIGHLY recommended.

SimonNZ

Quote from: George on June 30, 2022, 11:12:22 AM

This is the best new (to me) album I have heard in a long time. Absolutely stunning. HIGHLY recommended.

I had his album Cole's Corner on heavy rotation for a long long time after that one came out.

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 30, 2022, 09:15:12 AM
I remember Cannonball and The Blower's Daughter being the only two tracks I enjoyed from the album back then. One to revisit in the future maybe to see how it fares.

I can readily understand that it would not be an album for everyone.