Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

aligreto

Neil Young: Le Noise

An aptly named album! Too much noise, for me, from the guitars on most of this album. Why so much of the unnecessary heavy distortion? The quality of the backing vocals is also poor for me. These issues do not add to the quality of the songwriting. For me, they even detract from it. Yes, I understand that artists want to experiment and not get stuck in a rut. They want to try other things. This approach, in my opinion, was either bad advice or bad production values. Listen to the track "Love And War" or "Peaceful Valley Boulevard" for direct comparison purposes. I would like to hear an unplugged version of this album or even a "cleaner" electric version.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on July 30, 2022, 08:11:36 AM
Now, tell me honestly, is that really a photograph of the shadows of you and a friend.
What I see is that your shadow on the left shows you holding a pair of binoculars scouting the horizon for your lady's return while listening to Steely Dan.
The shadow on the right is your friend with cupped hands around his mouth shouting to someone indoors "Turn off Steely Dan, she is coming!"

;D
:laugh: :)  You know how to keep peace in the household Aligreto.  ;)

Pd
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 01, 2022, 01:20:30 PM
:laugh: :)  You know how to keep peace in the household Aligreto.  ;)

Pd

Forewarned is always forearmed, PD, especially in domestic situations  ;)  ;D

Todd

Karl Henning

A first listen to an early Béla Fleck project: Strength in Numbers, The Telluride Sessions
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 02, 2022, 11:53:48 AM
A first listen to an early Béla Fleck project: Strength in Numbers, The Telluride Sessions
I used to listen to that album all of the time Karl!  :)  Lots of talent in that group.

What did you think of it?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

aligreto

The Rolling Stones:

from The Rolling Stones EP collection:

Todd

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Pohjolas Daughter

I'm currently having a great time listening to a new-to-me Richard Thompson album titled "Sweet Warrior" whilst doing KP duty.  A wonderful album so far (taking a short breather to take care of some other things outside of the kitchen). 

The album is from 2007.  The title is from Sonnet LVII of Amoretti by Edmund Spenser (which is quoted on the inside of the front cover).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SimonNZ

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SimonNZ on August 05, 2022, 06:19:38 PM

What a gorgeous voice Nat King Cole had!  A wonderful singer/artist.  :)

Burl Ives:  I'll forever remember him singing and narrating in Rudolph.  Sadly, I don't know his singing and musicianship from outside of that.  Do you have many of his records Simon?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SimonNZ

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 06, 2022, 12:29:58 AM
What a gorgeous voice Nat King Cole had!  A wonderful singer/artist.  :)

Burl Ives:  I'll forever remember him singing and narrating in Rudolph.  Sadly, I don't know his singing and musicianship from outside of that.  Do you have many of his records Simon?

PD

Hi PD. Unfortunately I don't actually own any of Burl Ives albums, and was listening to that one on YouTube. I was considering a Real Gone set I saw at a local secondhand store, but I see now the albums it collects aren't the ones that were part of the first blossoming of the Folk Revival. That's the Ivss set I want. The album above was a good listen and it's a pity his early folk work is largely forgotten.

SimonNZ

Very, very, very...Hawaiian.

Including the early hit "Haere Mai (Everything Is Kapai)", which is currently being used in a prominent tv advertisement here.

SimonNZ

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot