Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Bowie: Earthling

I find it interesting the way that some musical themes and motifs from this album hark back to much older albums.

SimonNZ

Quote from: aligreto on September 24, 2022, 10:37:47 AM
Bowie: Earthling

I find it interesting the way that some musical themes and motifs from this album hark back to much older albums.

Thats an interesting take. Which older albums are you thinking of?

TD:

Chieko Iha - Omorouta (1998)

Beth Orton - Weather Alive (2022)

A new Beth Orton album!! I wouldn't have known if they hadn't been playing it in the cd store yesterday.

aligreto

Quote from: SimonNZ on September 24, 2022, 03:48:44 PM
Thats an interesting take. Which older albums are you thinking of?

I am definitely hearing echoes from the period from Diamond Dogs right back to even Hunky Dory [in particular] in the first half of the recording [so perhaps more of a period thing here]. I merely mentioned this aspect because I always looked upon Bowie as being very much more forward looking than retrospective. This was my first listen to this album and I liked what I heard.

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

George

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Todd on September 26, 2022, 07:48:40 AM

Thanks for uploading that album cover!  Out of curiosity, I googled her and stumbled across Bandcamp (which I hadn't heard of before either).  Quite enjoying what I've heard of her music so far.  :)  Looks like album was recently released too.  Was this your first time listening to it Todd?

PD

p.s.  I see she's described as "outlaw country".  ;D
Pohjolas Daughter

George

Todd

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 26, 2022, 08:32:20 AMWas this your first time listening to it Todd?

Yes, I'd never seen her name until this morning.  It's a decent album.  I'm not sure what's outlaw about the album, but sub-genre labels don't really appeal to me.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Todd on September 26, 2022, 09:20:36 AM
Yes, I'd never seen her name until this morning.  It's a decent album.  I'm not sure what's outlaw about the album, but sub-genre labels don't really appeal to me.
Do you have Spotify or something along those lines?  How did you run across it?  By the way, it looks like they have her other three albums on Bandcamp too.

I read that she also has a clothing store (vintage) in Nashville called The High Class Hillbilly.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 26, 2022, 09:52:22 AMDo you have Spotify or something along those lines?

I use Amazon to stream music.  I use Wikipedia to randomly find 2022 releases to listen to.  I am making an effort to listen to a decent cross-section of new music to hear what is out there. 

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Todd on September 26, 2022, 09:55:31 AM
I use Amazon to stream music.  I use Wikipedia to randomly find 2022 releases to listen to.  I am making an effort to listen to a decent cross-section of new music to hear what is out there.
Oh, that's a clever way to pull up new/latest music!  Good for you!

I'm currently listening to more of her music via Bandcamp.

Interesting to read that Dan Auerbach (from the Black Keys) helped her to record her first album...he allowed her to record at his studio--for free!

And, yes, sub-genres drives me crazy too--too many to keep track of!  Just trying to even fit a performer into one genre can be impossible.  Listening to her music, where does one put her:  country?  Rock/pop?  Folk?  In terms of record stores, I'm sure that they have a hard time figuring where to put records; I know, as a buyer, that I'm often asking "What genre do you put so-and-so under?"

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 26, 2022, 10:46:08 AMListening to her music, where does one put her:  country?  Rock/pop?  Folk?

I'd say country for most people, particularly given the song writing style.  Personally, I use only three broad categories when determining what to listen to - classical, jazz, pop/everything else.  I see rock and country and folk as big sub-genres of pop music, for instance, but I am also not a musicologist or marketing professional. 

Sub-genres have spun out of control for me.  If I want to listen to what used to just be called heavy metal, there are now grindcore (?), doom, gothic, mathcore (?), post-metal, and dozens or hundreds of other sub-genres.  Really?  I want loud, distorted guitars and mostly incomprehensible singing when I choose to listen to such music, and everything else just complicates it.

Streaming has been most beneficial for me in the pop/everything else category.  I can start listening to anything for no additional cost, and if I don't like it, I can just stop listening.  I still tend to listen to entire albums because that is just how I operate.  An album must be exceptionally bad for me to stop listening before it is done.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Todd on September 26, 2022, 11:04:15 AM
I'd say country for most people, particularly given the song writing style.  Personally, I use only three broad categories when determining what to listen to - classical, jazz, pop/everything else.  I see rock and country and folk as big sub-genres of pop music, for instance, but I am also not a musicologist or marketing professional. 

Sub-genres have spun out of control for me.  If I want to listen to what used to just be called heavy metal, there are now grindcore (?), doom, gothic, mathcore (?), post-metal, and dozens or hundreds of other sub-genres.  Really?  I want loud, distorted guitars and mostly incomprehensible singing when I choose to listen to such music, and everything else just complicates it.

Streaming has been most beneficial for me in the pop/everything else category.  I can start listening to anything for no additional cost, and if I don't like it, I can just stop listening.  I still tend to listen to entire albums because that is just how I operate.  An album must be exceptionally bad for me to stop listening before it is done.
That's funny that you mentioned heavy metal as that was one grouping that came to mind (and you know way more sub genres there than do I! lol ).

Do you find that after listening to an album that if you like it, you end up buying a copy of it?  Or is that more relegated to classical or other genres?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 26, 2022, 11:24:05 AMDo you find that after listening to an album that if you like it, you end up buying a copy of it?  Or is that more relegated to classical or other genres?

Streaming has changed my method of buying completely.  I listen with no intention of buying anything anymore, and only the very best streamed items result in purchases, with some exceptions for items I simply must buy (eg, the upcoming Gieseking and Frank Peter Zimmermann reissues).  In the pop/everything else category, there are very few artists I feel compelled to buy.  Róisín Murphy and Lana del Rey come to mind.  If titles start being removed from streaming services, I will return to buying more, but I don't see that happening.

Todd

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Todd