Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Earlier today, I listened to a CD called The Highwomen....loved it!  If I'm recalling correctly, I first listened to some of their songs on youtube after @Todd  posted about one of the members--Amanda Shires and having listened to one of her albums.

First time listening to it...hope to give it a proper sit-down with lyrics soon.

It's a female take of the legendary Highwaymen album (which I still need to listen to!) with the likes of Chris Christopherson, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, etc.

This female American country group consisted of Brandi Carlile, Natalie Hemby, Maren Morris, and Amanda Shires, and formed in 2019.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

George

George

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

George

Todd

Revisiting this crackerjack album.

SimonNZ

Pohjolas Daughter

Richard Thompson:  Dream Attic

It's an album of new songs (well, now from 2010) which were all recorded live at various concerts.  Very enjoyable.  :) Amazing singer/songwriter--and guitarist.

PD

p.s.  Apparently, it was also the first time that one of his albums hit the top 20 in the UK upon its release (in top 100 in the US...80-something I believe).
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

The Dubliners: The Best of The Dubliners

The Dubliners were an Irish Folk music group based in Dublin and, in their time, achieved significant international acclaim for their unique presentation of folk music. They achieved this on musical merit and on their showmanship. They spoke/sang in English but in a local Dublin Dialect and accent which rendered a lot of what they said/sang unintelligible to non nationals and even to some nationals.

I dedicate this one to my friend Olivier [Papy Oli].

SimonNZ

follower by:

SimonNZ

Papy Oli

Quote from: aligreto on March 11, 2023, 03:15:12 PMThe Dubliners: The Best of The Dubliners

The Dubliners were an Irish Folk music group based in Dublin and, in their time, achieved significant international acclaim for their unique presentation of folk music. They achieved this on musical merit and on their showmanship. They spoke/sang in English but in a local Dublin Dialect and accent which rendered a lot of what they said/sang unintelligible to non nationals and even to some nationals.

I dedicate this one to my friend Olivier [Papy Oli].

:)

Maybe Seven drunken nights is what you actually need to understand them  ;D  ;D
Olivier

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 11, 2023, 11:05:42 PM:)

Maybe Seven drunken nights is what you actually need to understand them  ;D  ;D

You may well have a point there  ;D

SimonNZ

A good listen to a fine if not stunning album that pointed they way to much of his remarkable late career work.

Of course its hard not to think of the near masterpiece that could have been with the replacement of two or three weaker tracks with some now very much loved outtakes.

SimonNZ

Listening to this one track over and over last night. It used to be just a quiet track I didn't pay much attention to on the Modern Times album, but I now think its a slow-burn masterpiece and one of my favorite tracks on any Dylan album.

Just listened to the Pod Dylan episode devoted to it, and the guest makes an unexpected but convincing case for his own theory that beyond the nods to old blues and folk lyrics the larger theme is The Divine Comedy and Dante's love of Beatrice.

Pod Dylan #125 - Nettie Moore

and now:

which includes "Gentle Nettie Moore"

Todd

Yesterday the topic of eight tracks came up.  This morning when making a quasi-emergency trip to Home Depot, I heard Abba pumping through the store's speakers.  I took the hint.

SimonNZ

milk