Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SimonNZ on June 01, 2023, 06:35:24 PM

Patsy Cline - Live At The Cimarron Ballroom (rec.1961)
Love Patsy!  :)

Quote from: T. D. on June 01, 2023, 07:01:17 PMGerman punk on bandcamp

So, what was the verdict:  good, bad, eh?  If the cover is more interesting than their music, that would not be a good sign.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

T. D.

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 02, 2023, 04:43:31 AM...
So, what was the verdict:  good, bad, eh?  If the cover is more interesting than their music, that would not be a good sign.

PD

I don't listen to that much punk music...I can generally only listen to a couple of tunes per sitting, because like many classical/jazz listeners I prefer more complex harmonies.  ;)

I'd say it's pretty decent music within the punk genre. Lyrics are given on bandcamp (though I had to go for online translations), and I found them rather witty. Granted, while old I remain sufficiently immature for punkish lyrics to resonate to some degree... ::)

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SimonNZ

Heh. My first time hearing this. I had been put off by my respect for the admittedly eccentric Michael Gray and his merciless dismissal of the album/show:

"The dreariest, most contemptible, phony, tawdry piece of product ever issued by a great artist, which manages to omit the TV concert's one fresh and fine performance, 'I Want You', but is otherwise an accurate record of the awfulness of the concert itself, in which the performer who had been so numinously 'unplugged' in the first place ducked the opportunity to use television to perform, solo, some of the ballad and country-blues material from his most recent studio albums, Good as I Been to You and World Gone Wrong. That could have been magical. Instead—instead of seizing this moment and really stepping into the arena—we got the usual greatest hits, wretchedly performed in a phoney construct of a 'live' concert. This is what happens when Bob Dylan capitulates and lets overpaid coke-head executives, lawyers and PRseholes from the Entertainment Industry tell him what to do."

But actually I found much to like and even much to admire. A beautiful "Shooting Star", possibly better than the album version; a perfectly controlled "Desolation Row"; the remarkable vocal performance on "With God On Our Side", delivered with an unusually heart-on-sleeve intensity; the understated Nashville-y dobro and pedal steel sound of the band. Hell, I didn't mind hearing "Rainy Day Women", a song I completely hate. The rest were fine I not as memorable. Only "Like A Rolling Stone" struck me as phoned in.

I only gave it a chance now because it includes a version of his 1962 rarity "John Brown", which I've been a little obsessed with over the last few days after someone played me this live version from 1999:

George

SimonNZ

Does "St. James Infirmary" really qualify as Hokum? Its a song about regrets for a misspent life, but we don't know if that involved humorous misadventures of the tall tale variety.

Pohjolas Daughter

Currently checking out a boxed CD set called "The Transatlantic Story".  It's a 4-CD set of the history of the Transatlantic record label.

CD1:  Quite bizarre!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

George

SimonNZ

brewski

One of my favorite bits from the movie An American in Paris, Georges Guétary singing "I'll Build a Stairway to Paradise." Two minutes of lighted steps, dancers with lots of feathers, and a catchy Gershwin melody.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

SimonNZ

Peppermint Trolley Co. - s/t (1968)

Reminds me quite a lot of Jefferson Airplane's Surrealistic Pillow. There's no "White Rabbit" or "Someone To Love", but if you like the sound nd mood of the rest of that album, you'll probably like this.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: brewski on June 05, 2023, 11:35:46 AMOne of my favorite bits from the movie An American in Paris, Georges Guétary singing "I'll Build a Stairway to Paradise." Two minutes of lighted steps, dancers with lots of feathers, and a catchy Gershwin melody.

-Bruce

Ah, staircases and music: a great combination.

SimonNZ

"Mbube Roots: Zulu Choral Music from South Africa, 1930s-1960s"

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: brewski on June 05, 2023, 11:35:46 AMOne of my favorite bits from the movie An American in Paris, Georges Guétary singing "I'll Build a Stairway to Paradise." Two minutes of lighted steps, dancers with lots of feathers, and a catchy Gershwin melody.

-Bruce
Oh, fun!  Haven't seen that movie in dogs years!  :) It did make me think of this though:

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

Quote from: SimonNZ on June 05, 2023, 07:42:10 PMPeppermint Trolley Co. - s/t (1968)

Reminds me quite a lot of Jefferson Airplane's Surrealistic Pillow. There's no "White Rabbit" or "Someone To Love", but if you like the sound nd mood of the rest of that album, you'll probably like this.

"Fatal Fallacy" was my favorite from the album.

Peppermint Trolley Company also arranged and sang the original Brady Bunch theme song for the TV show's pilot, but it was re-recorded and performed by someone else for the series.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

brewski

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 06, 2023, 02:49:25 AMOh, fun!  Haven't seen that movie in dogs years!  :) It did make me think of this though:

PD

And thanks for the Lucy clip, which I had never seen, and it's hilarious—a great example of her talents. I knew when she put on the headdress that mayhem would ensue, and then the gunshot at the end—all very funny, thank you.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

SimonNZ

George

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: SimonNZ on June 03, 2023, 04:59:25 PMDoes "St. James Infirmary" really qualify as Hokum? Its a song about regrets for a misspent life, but we don't know if that involved humorous misadventures of the tall tale variety.
Tangentially:

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot