Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Yo La Tengo - This Stupid World

Wire magazine's album of the year for 2023

KevinP

Revolver probably has the better songs, but Pepper is more of an album.
Quote from: Karl Henning on January 10, 2024, 03:58:48 PMI listen to it infrequently enough, that I am apt to forget just what a good album Sgt Pepper is. I get that there are those who maintain that Revolver is the better of the two. Maybe, but I really don't see that taking aught away from Pepper.

Revolver probably has the better songs, while Pepper is more of an album.

KevinP

Been on a big Janis Joplin kick lately, certainly not for the first time. Have listened to all her studio recordings a few times and working my way through the various live discs I have.

I'm beginning to appreciate Big Brother and the Holding Company more this time around, though I still can't fathom why anybody would say, 'Hey Janis. I'll sing lead on this one. You take backup.'

SimonNZ

Looking for something completely unrelated Youtube offers me this:

SimonNZ

^Thought that might have got some kind of comment

Now:

ando

Quote from: SimonNZ on January 10, 2024, 07:44:37 PMLooking for something completely unrelated Youtube offers me this:

I recently did my own private Dido's Lament comparison listening session. Can't get into the silly "best" debate. It's a hard piece to f*** up. Purcell wrote a beauty. Thanks.  :) 

ando

Connected The Foreign Exchange (2004, BBE)
Laid back, hip hop classic.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SimonNZ on January 10, 2024, 07:44:37 PMLooking for something completely unrelated Youtube offers me this:

Very haunting and nicely sung.  Particularly haunting as he died so young.  Wonder where he sang it?  Any idea?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SimonNZ

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 16, 2024, 05:32:33 AMVery haunting and nicely sung.  Particularly haunting as he died so young.  Wonder where he sang it?  Any idea?

PD

Meltdown Festival,1995, apparently.

TD:

Harold Budd and Brian Eno - The Pearl (1984)

Karl Henning

Haven't listened to this album in an age:

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

drogulus

Here we have Arthur Lee before Forever Changes.

After Forever Changes Lee made Four Sail with a different lineup.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:126.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/126.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Pohjolas Daughter

Ryan Bingham & the Dead Horses:  Junky Star

I first heard some of his music on the series Yellowstone.  He also has/had(?) a recurring role throughout the first 5 seasons.  How to describe it?  Singer/songwriter, folk, country.

In any event, I've been enjoying what I've heard from it so far (was doing house chores at the time, so I couldn't pay as close attention as I would have liked to).

By the way, T Bone Burnett produced it.  :)

As a side note, I was also introduced to Jason Isbell's music through that series (which I also like).  Recently heard JI participating in the NPR show "Wait! Wait! Don't Tell Me!" which was a lot of fun.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

ando

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Ian

This. I think it could be a hit.  8)

71 dB

YES - Time and a World

CD borrowed from an acquaintance. I am not familiar with YES at all. This is almost an introduction to their music for me.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

71 dB

Quote from: SimonNZ on January 16, 2024, 10:00:09 PM

Harold Budd and Brian Eno - The Pearl (1984)

I own that CD (this kind of music is usually hard to get (read expensive as hell), but I have managed to buy this on used years ago for reasonable price. Thanks for the idea to revisit it.  ;)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Ian

SimonNZ

and a quick read on Wikipedia:

"Trojan skinheads (also known as traditional skinheads or trads) are individuals who identify with the original British skinhead subculture of the middle 1960s, when ska, rocksteady, reggae, and soul music were popular, and there was a heavy emphasis on mod-influenced clothing styles. Named after the record label Trojan Records, these skinheads identify with the subculture's Jamaican rude boy and British working class roots.[1][2]

Because of their appreciation of music played by black people, such as skinhead reggae (also referred to as boss reggae), they tend to be non-racist, left-wing or anti-racist, unlike the white power skinheads.[3][4] Trojan skinheads usually dress in a typical 1960s skinhead style, which includes items such as button-down Ben Sherman shirts, Fred Perry polo shirts, braces, fitted suits, cardigans, tank tops, Harrington jackets and Crombie-style overcoats.[5] Hair is generally between a 2 and 4 grade clip-guard (short, but not bald), in contrast to the shorter-haired punk-influenced Oi! skins of the 1980s."

while that set was a fascinating collection of tracks I was largely unfamiliar with, I strongly suspect the favorites of first-wave skinheads would have been those collected in Trojan's earlier "U.K. Hits" box:

AnotherSpin

Quote from: 71 dB on January 23, 2024, 06:19:54 AMYES - Time and a World

CD borrowed from an acquaintance. I am not familiar with YES at all. This is almost an introduction to their music for me.

It's worth taking into account that this is an early work by Yes, where only some hints of future grandiose achievements can be found. They finally hit the gold with The Yes Album. Try Close to the Edge straight away, either it will work for you or it won't. I like all Yes albums up to and including Relayer.