Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: San Antone on March 03, 2024, 05:55:02 PMYou may know that Abigail Washburn is married to Bela Fleck (virtuoso banjo player)
I did not. Whom the banjo hath joined let no accordion put asunder.

On a half-whim (at a time when all I knew was Flight of the Cosmic Hippo) I picked up the first and second Tales of the acoustic Planet discs, and I was hooked.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Last night, I hauled out my David Bowie box:  "Sound and Vision" and listened to Disc II of it (It's a 4-CD set and a well-done job by the folks at Rykodisc.   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Fancied a change.
Enjoying this CD:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Henk

One of my favourite prog albums. A grower. Enlightening.

SimonNZ

A JSP box I hadn't known of before.

SimonNZ

DaveF

Quote from: Henk on March 05, 2024, 01:17:44 PM

One of my favourite prog albums. A grower. Enlightening.

Interesting! Scandi-Prog is a fairly new area of interest for me - only recently discovered Änglagård and Samla Mammas Manna, and hadn't heard of The Flower Kings (whose name, unfortunately recalls "The Flower People" which, if I remember, was one of the earlier names of the band that eventually became Spinal Tap).  I thought I'd start at the beginning with Back in the World of Adventures which, certainly in parts, was very impressive.  Then I discovered that this wasn't the beginning, since the main man, Roine Stolt, had previously had a band called Kaipa, so need to give them a listen too.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

San Antone

Henk

Quote from: DaveF on March 07, 2024, 06:11:12 AMInteresting! Scandi-Prog is a fairly new area of interest for me - only recently discovered Änglagård and Samla Mammas Manna, and hadn't heard of The Flower Kings (whose name, unfortunately recalls "The Flower People" which, if I remember, was one of the earlier names of the band that eventually became Spinal Tap).  I thought I'd start at the beginning with Back in the World of Adventures which, certainly in parts, was very impressive.  Then I discovered that this wasn't the beginning, since the main man, Roine Stolt, had previously had a band called Kaipa, so need to give them a listen too.

Didn't know about the link Stolt and Kaipa, while I actually have the most recent album by Kaipa on the shelves, which I dig too (a bit more low mood theme though).

71 dB

Tangerine Dream - The Angel From The West Window
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

AnotherSpin

SimonNZ

Henk

ultralinear

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: AnotherSpin on March 08, 2024, 10:15:55 AMJerskin Fendrix - Winterreise

How did you like it?

Must admit:  rather strange cover.  It looks like he might have taken a selfie!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 09, 2024, 05:46:14 AMHow did you like it?

Must admit:  rather strange cover.  It looks like he might have taken a selfie!

PD

A new name for me, I first heard about him just the other day when I watched the film Poor Things, for which he wrote the music. Quite unusual and exciting composer and musician. His vocals reminded me a bit of David Sylvian.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: AnotherSpin on March 09, 2024, 06:02:21 AMA new name for me, I first heard about him just the other day when I watched the film Poor Things, for which he wrote the music. Quite unusual and exciting composer and musician. His vocals reminded me a bit of David Sylvian.
I listened to a tiny bit of it (It's been uploaded to youtube.).  I get the impression that it's supposed to be a modern take on the classical song cycle Winterreisse?  Would that be correct?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 09, 2024, 06:16:01 AMI listened to a tiny bit of it (It's been uploaded to youtube.).  I get the impression that it's supposed to be a modern take on the classical song cycle Winterreisse?  Would that be correct?

PD

No, there is no direct connection with Schubert's cycle. Maybe the mood is similar, melancholy and despair.

drogulus

Quote from: ultralinear on March 08, 2024, 02:50:31 PM

Ummagumma: Disc 1 (live)

What, no grooving with a Pict?

They played the Ummagumma set at Stony Brook U. in 1970. Gilmour walked right past where I was sitting on a chair on the gym floor. He was the new guy then.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

ultralinear

Quote from: drogulus on March 09, 2024, 07:15:11 AMWhat, no grooving with a Pict?

They played the Ummagumma set at Stony Brook U. in 1970. Gilmour walked right past where I was sitting on a chair on the gym floor. He was the new guy then.

Yes I saw them play that set around the same time, including a 20-minute Interstellar Overdrive as an encore. This may not have been their original intention, however when they came out for the 2nd encore, some guy in the audience started shouting "INTERSTELLAR OVERDRIVE! INTERSTELLAR OVERDRIVE!"  - over and over, very loud - clearly wasn't going to stop - until in the end Roger Waters shrugged, and shouted back "WELL IF THAT'S WHAT YOU WANT...!" ;D

The last show of theirs I saw was the Atom Heart Mother tour, complete with choir - and a stove on stage for Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast.  After that I kinda lost interest, as by then I had got more into things like Soft Machine.