Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Denny Laine: Holly Days

If you are a fan of Buddy Holly I recommend that you hear this offering from Denny Laine and Paul McCartney if you have not already done so. It is available on both Vinyl and CD and, alas, I only have the CD version. The interpretations are true to the originals but are, nonetheless, very interesting. The production is low tech which enhances the atmosphere and credibility of this album. I think that it is very fine and enjoyable and is a fine tribute to Holly. I enclose a copy of the details for your perusal

SimonNZ

Doris Day - Day By Day (1956) and Day By Night (1957)

RIP

aligreto

Ó Riada: Ceol na nUasal This is CD 2 in this 3 CD set

This CD has mostly vocal offerings but there are also a few very worthy instrumentals presented as well. This is a fine CD.

aligreto

Lindisfarne: Fog on the Tyne

A very favoured album from days of yore.

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

aligreto

Rick Wakeman The Myths and Legends of King Arthur

Mirror Image

Quote from: aligreto on May 19, 2019, 06:54:21 AM
Rick Wakeman The Myths and Legends of King Arthur

I'm taking a hiatus from classical at the moment. Anyway, I don't think I've ever heard this recording. I have Journey to the Centre of the Earth and Six Wives of Henry VIII.

aligreto

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 19, 2019, 10:14:36 AM
I'm taking a hiatus from classical at the moment. Anyway, I don't think I've ever heard this recording. I have Journey to the Centre of the Earth and Six Wives of Henry VIII.

I love the concept of this album and there is some great music in there too but every time that I listen to it I cringe at the vocals: they are so appalling bad in places and for me let the whole album down.

Mirror Image

Quote from: aligreto on May 19, 2019, 11:17:22 AM
I love the concept of this album and there is some great music in there too but every time that I listen to it I cringe at the vocals: they are so appalling bad in places and for me let the whole album down.

Yes, that was the problem with Journey to the Centre of the Earth. I forget the vocalist's name at the present moment, but I always wondered what Wakeman was thinking hiring this guy?

aligreto

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 19, 2019, 11:19:17 AM
Yes, that was the problem with Journey to the Centre of the Earth. I forget the vocalist's name at the present moment, but I always wondered what Wakeman was thinking hiring this guy?

Agreed, the vocals being such an important and integral part of these performances.

aligreto

Japan: Tin Drum

I found this in my collection and I do not know where it came from as I did not buy it. Not my type of music. It was a mildly interesting listen.

aligreto

Moody Blues Every Good Boy Deserves Favour

aligreto

Ó Riada: Ding Dong [CD 3 of 3 from this set]

This album is much more polished and upbeat when compared with the other two CDs in the set. It is a more recent recording so this is not particularly surprising that the quality is enhanced and that the performance standards had moved on.

Mirror Image

Quote from: aligreto on May 22, 2019, 08:03:21 AM
Japan: Tin Drum

I found this in my collection and I do not know where it came from as I did not buy it. Not my type of music. It was a mildly interesting listen.

I vastly prefer David Sylvian's solo work to that of his work with Japan. You should check out Sylvian's albums Gone to Earth and Secrets of the Beehive.

This is gorgeous:

https://www.youtube.com/v/sG_Eklk-syk

aligreto

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 24, 2019, 07:52:01 PM
I vastly prefer David Sylvian's solo work to that of his work with Japan. You should check out Sylvian's albums Gone to Earth and Secrets of the Beehive.

This is gorgeous:

Will do and thank you for that.

Mirror Image

aligreto

This is gorgeous:

OK, that was an interesting and intriguing listen.

SimonNZ

I vastly prefer David Sylvian's solo work to that of his work with Japan. You should check out Sylvian's albums Gone to Earth and Secrets of the Beehive.[/b]

Two wonderful albums, especially Beehive -a desert island disc.

Playing another Sylvian favorite now:

Dead Bees On A Cake (1999)

SimonNZ

v/a - Topic Records: The Real Sound of Folk Music (28 Treasured Tracks from the Topic Catalogue)

aligreto

Kristofferson: Spooky Lady's Sideshow