Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwinter

That's not surprising, given that they always seemed to prefer the mono; I've read multiple sources confirming that typically the only mixes that the four of them actively worked on were the mono -- once the mono was done to their satisfaction (the "real" version that got played on the radio) they usually left the stereo mixes to George Martin and his engineers.  Harrison notoriously said that the first time he heard the stereo Sgt. Pepper was at a party in the 1970s, and he didn't care for it.  And I have to say, the mono Sgt Pepper is surprisingly good, it packs a punch, and many of the "special effects" on that album are noticeably different.... Happy to have both versions :)
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

aligreto

Their thinking, at the time, was that their fans/listeners were listening on their transistor radios [most likely glued to their ear] in mono. They felt that stereo was unnecessary and not appropriate. They decidedly felt that their listening public should be able to hear all of their music via the media that their fans themselves were listening on ... the portable transistor radio, in monaural sound.

aligreto

Fairport Convention: Angel Delight

Although always good, they were never quite the same after Sandy Denny.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: aligreto on August 26, 2019, 07:52:05 AM
Although always good, they were never quite the same after Sandy Denny.

The first post-Denny album, Full House, is very good. But it's also the last album with Richard Thompson. I lose interest in the band after he leaves.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

aligreto

San Antone

Quote from: jwinter on August 23, 2019, 10:17:26 AM
Love this album...

Me too.  Also, Ghosts of Highway 20 is good; released in 2016, I think.

aligreto

George

Fourth spin of the new Tool album. Good stuff.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

aligreto

Bagatelle

These were a hot band back in the day here in Dublin. They had a number of hits, one of which became iconic namely Summer in Dublin. They had a good sound.

Todd

She's finally done it.  Elizabeth Grant, partnered with zeitgeist super-producer Jack Antonoff, has delivered on her promise and released a pop music masterpiece in the form of Norman Fucking Rockwell!  The ideas and themes cover familiar territory, but the musical arrangements are more inventive, include more actual instruments, and the darkness and bitterness and satire and irony are delivered in an times more lively and beautiful and catchy manner, though at others it sounds like more refined, even more expertly produced version of what she has done before.  The lyrics show she's no lightweight, and her cover tune is well chosen.  I was struck by the comprehensiveness of her persona when she first released music under her pseudonym, and she has taken it very far indeed.  All of her prior releases had weak links, with Paradise and Ultraviolence coming closest to being satisfying wholes.  This hour-plus release has no weak links; it is a perfectly conceived whole.  LDR is still young, so hopefully she can do even better things in the future.  That would be something.

Looks like she has also taken control of her recordings and licenses to a big player.  Good for her. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

greg

Quote from: George on August 30, 2019, 09:25:13 AM

Fourth spin of the new Tool album. Good stuff.
Ordering it today (along with new Slipknot and maybe some others)... couldn't find it in stores. And somehow managed to not listen to it online yet.  ;D

I hear it's decent but not as good as their other stuff. Not really a surprise, but looking forward to listening.  8)
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

SimonNZ

Purple  Mountains - s/t (2019)

Porter Wagoner - Satisfied Mind (1957)

greg

Quote from: greg on September 02, 2019, 12:28:37 PM
Ordering it today (along with new Slipknot and maybe some others)... couldn't find it in stores. And somehow managed to not listen to it online yet.  ;D

I hear it's decent but not as good as their other stuff. Not really a surprise, but looking forward to listening.  8)
Ok, guess I'm not ordering it... since they had made the lowest price over $200 on Amazon.

So just finished listening to it, and definitely liked it. Surely something that will grow on the listener over time. It feels a lot like their Catch 33 (Meshuggah album) in the sense that it feels extremely cohesive and focused compared to the other discography.

George

Quote from: Todd on September 02, 2019, 10:21:21 AM

She's finally done it.  Elizabeth Grant, partnered with zeitgeist super-producer Jack Antonoff, has delivered on her promise and released a pop music masterpiece in the form of Norman Fucking Rockwell!  The ideas and themes cover familiar territory, but the musical arrangements are more inventive, include more actual instruments, and the darkness and bitterness and satire and irony are delivered in an times more lively and beautiful and catchy manner, though at others it sounds like more refined, even more expertly produced version of what she has done before.  The lyrics show she's no lightweight, and her cover tune is well chosen.  I was struck by the comprehensiveness of her persona when she first released music under her pseudonym, and she has taken it very far indeed.  All of her prior releases had weak links, with Paradise and Ultraviolence coming closest to being satisfying wholes.  This hour-plus release has no weak links; it is a perfectly conceived whole.  LDR is still young, so hopefully she can do even better things in the future.  That would be something.

Looks like she has also taken control of her recordings and licenses to a big player.  Good for her.

Yeah, that is a lovely, mellow album.

71 dB

Borrowed from a friend:

Charlie Haden and the Liberation Music Orchestra - Dream Keeper

Awesome album!  :o I like this a lot.  0:)

[asin]B000025XH5[/asin]
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

George

Quote from: greg on September 02, 2019, 07:06:53 PM
Ok, guess I'm not ordering it... since they had made the lowest price over $200 on Amazon.

So just finished listening to it, and definitely liked it. Surely something that will grow on the listener over time. It feels a lot like their Catch 33 (Meshuggah album) in the sense that it feels extremely cohesive and focused compared to the other discography.

Move quick, greg - https://store.toolband.com/products/tool-fear-inoculum-limited-edition-cd-package

greg

Quote from: George on September 05, 2019, 02:00:13 PM
Move quick, greg - https://store.toolband.com/products/tool-fear-inoculum-limited-edition-cd-package
Ugh. Thanks, but I'm already too late.

I did just catch the limited edition run of the new Rings of Saturn album yesterday, though, at least. Each album has a unique color scheme (supposedly) and Lucas Mann's signature. But tbh I suspect it may take quite a while to sell out, since they made a thousand copies and somewhat of an underground band.  :P

SimonNZ

aligreto

George

Nice for the forum to be back to normal.