Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Introverted on October 12, 2019, 11:16:16 PM
NP:

[asin]B003DO13OM[/asin]

Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn

For a first listen - I like it so far; new age... :D

One of his best I think. I also like the more recent 'Return to Ommadawn'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on October 13, 2019, 06:35:28 AM
I saw them live in concert at the Albert Hall in London in my early youth.

I would say that was quite the event Jeffrey and a lasting impression and memory.

Alek Hidell

Quote from: aligreto on October 09, 2019, 07:53:28 AM
Donovan: 7-Tease

A favourite of mine.

I never really think of Donovan beyond "Mellow Yellow" and "Sunshine Superman." He seems like one of those who's forever locked into the Sixties. What's his later music like?

Quote from: aligreto on October 13, 2019, 06:29:43 AM
Wishbone Ash: There's the Rub

Wasn't this a Monty Python skit? ... ah yes, the "Pasolini's 'Third Test Match'" bit from the Season 3 finale: http://www.montypython.net/scripts/3rd-test.php :D
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

George

Introverted

Quote from: vandermolen on October 13, 2019, 06:37:45 AM
One of his best I think. I also like the more recent 'Return to Ommadawn'.
Quote from: aligreto on October 13, 2019, 06:31:21 AM
That is a particular favourite of mine; probably the favourite of the Oldfield albums that I own.

Will definetely be listening to Ommadawn again - will check out the Return to Ommadawn soon too.

NP:

[asin]B00GZ3RU1I[/asin]

David Bowie - Diamond Dogs

aligreto

Peter Skellern: Skellern

The dulcet tones of Skellern are wonderfully fused with a colliery band as part of the musical arrangements.

aligreto

Quote from: Alek Hidell on October 13, 2019, 05:45:56 PM

I never really think of Donovan beyond "Mellow Yellow" and "Sunshine Superman." He seems like one of those who's forever locked into the Sixties. What's his later music like?

His music is always melodic and I like the way that his songs almost always tell a story. I suppose he is one of those locked into the sixties and seventies but that is my vintage. I grew up playing and singing his music and it has always stayed with me. I just enjoy listening to his music.

George

SimonNZ

aligreto

Introverted

Quote from: aligreto on October 18, 2019, 07:59:39 AM
Mike Oldfield: Incantations

Another one to explore... - Is this album a favourite of yours aligreto?. :)

Alek Hidell

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Introverted

Quote from: Alek Hidell on October 18, 2019, 05:46:00 PM

Tim Hecker: Ravedeath, 1972

I think I might have posted that one to this thread a few years back - I was listening to some Stars of the Lid earlier which is a bit similar in style to that one AFAIK.
What do you think of the album Alek?.

SimonNZ

Belle and Sebastian - Days Of The Bagnold Summer (2019)

Alek Hidell

Quote from: Introverted on October 18, 2019, 05:52:33 PM
I think I might have posted that one to this thread a few years back - I was listening to some Stars of the Lid earlier which is a bit similar in style to that one AFAIK.
What do you think of the album Alek?.

Yes, I think I remember seeing it in this thread. I've had it for a while but just now got 'round to it. This was my inaugural listen, and I liked it. I'm a fan of ambient music (well, generally speaking), and I guess this is a kind of "industrial ambient": darker than Brian Eno or Loscil, say, but not absolutely gloomy or uncomfortable.

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 18, 2019, 06:05:55 PM

Belle and Sebastian - Days Of The Bagnold Summer (2019)

I've seen their name many times and I'm not sure I've ever heard a note of their music. For some reason their name always makes me think of some mid-'60s folk duo. What are they like, Simon?

George

George

aligreto

Wayne: War of the Worlds

I have just introduced a younger, 40 year old, Polish work colleague to this work. He did not know of its existence but immediately loved it. Coincidentally, on the day that we were listening to it in work an older English visitor was passing through our department and stopped with a smile on his face. "Ah, Jeff Wayne" he said as he came over to listen for a few moments.