Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Finally, a decent digital mastering for this album.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Papy Oli

Quote from: Introverted on November 29, 2019, 06:46:18 PM

Dream Letter is an awesome album!.
I just like trying his more difficult stuff for a bit of a challenge (I like most of the tracks on Lorca and Starsailor too). :)

I struggled with the studio albums myself as well. Dream letter covers my needs when i feel like listening to his music  :)
Olivier

SimonNZ

Benjamin Clementine - At Least For Now (2015)

aligreto

Quote from: Introverted on November 29, 2019, 06:49:56 PM

[asin]B001TKKAGY[/asin]

I am a big Cohen fan and I have always liked that album.

Introverted

Quote from: aligreto on November 30, 2019, 02:12:05 AM
I am a big Cohen fan and I have always liked that album.

I like the album a lot too - I listened to it again last night. :)

Introverted

NP:

[asin]B000002KOE[/asin]

Joni Mitchell - Song to a Seagull

[asin]B0097AQEOK[/asin]

Today I am continuing with my long-running project to appreciate all the Albums in this Box-Set...

aligreto

Quote from: Introverted on November 30, 2019, 11:07:04 PM

[asin]B0097AQEOK[/asin]

Today I am continuing with my long-running project to appreciate all the Albums in this Box-Set...

There is a lot in there. Enjoy your odyssey.

aligreto

Planxty: Cold Blow and the Rainy Night

j winter

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 20, 2019, 11:36:41 AM
I pre-ordered this box set and it arrived yesterday:

This is the CD box set and not the vinyl. Every album (+ the bonus disc of b-sides) has been remastered (at Abbey Road Studios) and, from what I've heard so far, these remasters blow the early '00s ones away and also they sound much better than the Message in a Box set from the '90s. There's more presence, clarity, and a general liveliness to these remasters. This set was also quite cheap: $25 (incl. shipping) --- certainly too cheap to pass up.

Listening to Synchronicity from this set... very nice indeed.  I agree with MI, it's much better than any previous remasterings that I've heard.  This album was a huge favorite back in the day, and it really does hold up well...
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

George

Had to give this a listen after seeing the documentary.  $:)

aligreto

Quote from: George on December 03, 2019, 12:28:58 PM

Had to give this a listen after seeing the documentary.  $:)

That is not surprising  8)

George

Carlo Gesualdo

dissily Mordentroge

As far as I can ascertain this performance isn't available on CD/DVD etc but only as this sub-standard Youtube clip.
I'd be thrilled if anyone can point to a high resolution version even if it's only the audio track.
Throwing a stone into the cognoscenti's nest I think this ranks up there with great art song of the classical repertiore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKQSlH-LLTQ
The orchestral arrangement is supposed to be Mitchell's own but I've been unable to find proof. Sounds like it could be given her at times radical approach to tonality.

George

San Antone

Quote from: dissily Mordentroge on December 03, 2019, 02:28:06 PM
As far as I can ascertain this performance isn't available on CD/DVD etc but only as this sub-standard Youtube clip.
I'd be thrilled if anyone can point to a high resolution version even if it's only the audio track.
Throwing a stone into the cognoscenti's nest I think this ranks up there with great art song of the classical repertiore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKQSlH-LLTQ
The orchestral arrangement is supposed to be Mitchell's own but I've been unable to find proof. Sounds like it could be given her at times radical approach to tonality.

That version comes from this album released in 2000 of two of her songs ("A Case of You" is the other one) and jazz standards with orchestral arrangements:

QuoteBoth Sides Now is a concept album by Canadian singer-songwriter Joni Mitchell that was released in 2000. It is her 17th studio album. The album won two Grammy Awards in 2001 for Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album and Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocalist(s) for the song "Both Sides, Now" and a Juno Award for Vocal Jazz Album of the Year.

The album traces the progress of the modern relationship through Mitchell's orchestral renditions of classic jazz songs. Two of her own songs are included: "A Case of You" (1971) and "Both Sides, Now" (1969). The orchestra was arranged and conducted by Vince Mendoza.

Two years later she released a double record Travelogue which has orchestrated versions of 22 of her songs.

San Antone

Don Henley - Cass County

Cass County is very close in East Texas to my hometown of Shreveport, Louisiana.  I saw a video by Billy Joel interviewing Henley shortly after this CD was released.  Interesting how he talks about the radio stations he listened to growing up that were formative for him.  One he mentions is KWKH out of Shreveport, home of the Louisiana Hayride, as being an important influence on his later songwriting because it exposed him to classic country music of the 50s and 60s.

dissily Mordentroge

Quote from: San Antone on December 03, 2019, 03:05:43 PM
That version comes from this album released in 2000 of two of her songs ("A Case of You" is the other one) and jazz standards with orchestral arrangements:

Two years later she released a double record Travelogue which has orchestrated versions of 22 of her songs.

I'm a little confused as the Youtube clip I posted is obviously a live concert performance but one of the quotes you give tells us "Both Sides Now is a concept album by Canadian singer-songwriter Joni Mitchell that was released in 2000. It is her 17th studio album."

San Antone

Quote from: dissily Mordentroge on December 03, 2019, 04:35:11 PM
I'm a little confused as the Youtube clip I posted is obviously a live concert performance but one of the quotes you give tells us "Both Sides Now is a concept album by Canadian singer-songwriter Joni Mitchell that was released in 2000. It is her 17th studio album."

Right.  The live YouTube video was a performance of the previously released orchestrated version of "Both Sides Now".  If you were asking for a better recording of that live performance, I can't help you.  But, I thought you were asking for a better recording of the orchestrated version of the song, which was what I posted.

George