Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dissily Mordentroge

Quote from: San Antone on December 03, 2019, 04:40:12 PM
Right.  The live YouTube video was a performance of the previously released orchestrated version of "Both Sides Now".  If you were asking for a better recording of that live performance, I can't help you.  But, I thought you were asking for a better recording of the orchestrated version of the song, which was what I posted.
Thanks. Even through the low resolution audio of the live performance I hear a hugely more committed(?) performance than the studio one which to my ears sounds as if Joni is being too careful. There's also a more emotional feel the backing orchestra in the live performance. Others may disagree.
I'm a bessotted fan of Liza Fischer who's last few years of output appears only to be available in nasty amateurish Youtube videos. Her fans have been begging her to go into the studio but for reasons only known to her she hasn't. I saw her Sydney show last year and it blew me away. What I'd give for a high quality DVD of that performance !

aligreto

San Antone

Generally I have ignored the playlists generated by Spotify based on my activity.  But I recently noticed that there were some new ones based on my "favorite" songs of 2019; 2018; etc.  These are the 100 songs I've played most often.

This morning I'm listening to "Your Top Songs for 2019" which includes songs by:

John Coltrane
Anna Tivel
Chip Taylor
Miles Davis
Danny Burns
An American Forrest
The Hollering Pines
Louis Armstrong
Willie Nelson
Bill Bloomer
Rod Picott
Alice Wallace
Bob Dylan
Bill Evans Trio
Danny Schmidt
Jason Isbell
Buddy & Julie Miller
Lucinda Williams

and many others

It's nicely done.

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SimonNZ

Madman Across The Water would get my vote.

George

San Antone

Quote from: George on December 06, 2019, 01:14:59 PM

Steely Dan - Aja

My favorite SD record, and I think it is their best (YMMV).  But this record came out during a time of my life that was life altering. 

I was going through a divorce, which was final November 1977; I had gotten pretty messed up on drugs and drink and was just beginning to get sober during 1978.  I remember I had a apartment in a quadplex, top floor, right side. And I began to eat vegetarian and get my chops back on upright bass.  My landlady was super cool, she defended me against a complaining neighbor who didn't like me practicing during the day.  I was living in Dallas at the time, but soon left to go to NYC, where I lived for the next 10 years, met my wife and began the rest of my life.

Aja, James Taylor's JT and oddly enough the Stephen Bishop album Careless were the albums which I played constantly during 1977-78 while I dug myself out of the hole I had dug myself in.

George

Quote from: San Antone on December 06, 2019, 02:35:08 PM

Steely Dan - Aja
My favorite SD record, and I think it is their best (YMMV).  But this record came out during a time of my life that was life altering. 

I was going through a divorce, which was final November 1977; I had gotten pretty messed up on drugs and drink and was just beginning to get sober during 1978.  I remember I had a apartment in a quadplex, top floor, right side. And I began to eat vegetarian and get my chops back on upright bass.  My landlady was super cool, she defended me against a complaining neighbor who didn't like me practicing during the day.  I was living in Dallas at the time, but soon left to go to NYC, where I lived for the next 10 years, met my wife and began the rest of my life.

Aja, James Taylor's JT and oddly enough the Stephen Bishop album Careless were the albums which I played constantly during 1977-78 while I dug myself out of the hole I had dug myself in.

Wow, thanks for sharing all that! And congrats on getting sober! I'm clean and sober since 1996 myself.

I agree that Aja is their best. As to which is my favorite, it's between Gaucho and Aja.

San Antone

Quote from: George on December 06, 2019, 02:41:35 PM
Wow, thanks for sharing all that! And congrats on getting sober! I'm clean and sober since 1996 myself.

I agree that Aja is their best. As to which is my favorite, it's between Gaucho and Aja.

Cheers!   ;)

SimonNZ

Mick Harvey - Delirium Tremens 02016)

hadn't realized before now that Mick Harvey had done a third album of Serge Gainsbourgh covers in English

George

steve ridgway

Having a Hawkwind day.

[asin]B00005MCWZ[/asin]

steve ridgway

Something of a crossover sound as it includes randomly parping sax and flute like Free Jazz and audio generators like Stockhausen :P.

[asin]B00005MCX0[/asin]

steve ridgway

Hawkwind's Doremi Fasol Latido. Some kind of obscure musical reference I guess :-[.

[asin]B00005MCX1[/asin]

steve ridgway

"Hall Of The Mountain Grill - seemingly named after the "Mountain Grill" diner :P. Hawkwind are getting much more musically ambitious and now include several keyboards including a Mellotron, sax, flute, oboe, violin and kalimba along with the expected guitars, bass and drums :o.

[asin]B00005MCX3[/asin]

steve ridgway

Finally ending the cycle on a high with "Warrior On The Edge Of Time" after which I part company with Hawkwind.

Nobel Prize for Literature please :P.

Lives of great men all remind us
We may make our lives sublime
And departing leave behind us
Footprints in the sands of time

Of hewn stones the sacred circle
Where the wizened sages sat
Let us try to remember
All the times where they were at

So your thoughts, they were expecting
Assault and battery on the human anatomy,
Assault and battery on the human anatomy, man

NOTE: Entire song repeats at least 3 times

[asin]B00BX8U0EE[/asin]

Carlo Gesualdo

Please don't ever, never tell anyone but I like one RUSH song, Sub Division, this is why I'm listening, in general I dislike RUSH but this song cool, the lyric i dunno, It's so Degrassi(the tv show), remember poor Weel's burden nerdom, he is raised by is grand mother, because his real parent died, that not all he a total nerd whit huge rim glasses and an outcast at his school, this is so Canadian I don't know what to say he as the worst life in the kids at that high school, and he find peace of mind playing video game at the arcade, skipping school and listening to RUSH... LOL

Mirror Image

Quote from: Carlo Gesualdo on December 11, 2019, 04:08:51 PM
Please don't ever, never tell anyone but I like one RUSH song, Sub Division, this is why I'm listening, in general I dislike RUSH but this song cool, the lyric i dunno, It's so Degrassi(the tv show), remember poor Weel's burden nerdom, he is raised by is grand mother, because his real parent died, that not all he a total nerd whit huge rim glasses and an outcast at his school, this is so Canadian I don't know to say he as the worst life in the kids at that high school, and he find peace of mind playing video game at the arcade, skipping school... LOL

I like Rush, but they're far from my favorite rock trio, that honor goes to this band:

I still love The Police to this day. I find their albums, Zenyatta Mondatta, Ghost in the Machine, and Synchronicity to be three of the best rock albums I've ever heard and I continue to return to these albums. I even have these miniature figures in my room: