Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

aligreto

Arnalds: Found Songs

Keeping an earlier promise to myself and I am happy that I did.

Carlo Gesualdo

Manfred Mann Earth band : Blinded by the light what a song, it make me so happy, feel so good, I don't know if there a one hit wonder but this song so good!

Alek Hidell

Quote from: deprofundis on February 11, 2020, 04:13:40 PM
Manfred Mann Earth band : Blinded by the light what a song, it make me so happy, feel so good, I don't know if there a one hit wonder but this song so good!

No, not a one-hit wonder exactly. Mann's band went through different iterations, but he hit #1 in 1964 with "Do Wah Diddy Diddy" and had some other hits too (especially in the UK).

"Blinded by the Light" was, of course, written by Bruce Springsteen. It appeared on his 1972 debut album. Mann's cover was a #1 hit in 1977.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Papy Oli

Autechre - Amber

[asin]B000024FJU[/asin]
Olivier

aligreto

Beatles: Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band

What more can be said?  8)

George

Quote from: aligreto on February 12, 2020, 07:41:21 AM
Beatles: Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band

What more can be said?  8)

I can think of at least one thing:  ;)

Listening to this now. Haven't heard it in a long time and on this SACD from 2002 it's sounding great!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

aligreto

Quote from: George on February 12, 2020, 08:41:13 AM
I can think of at least one thing:  ;)

Listening to this now. Haven't heard it in a long time and on this SACD from 2002 it's sounding great!

Rock'n'Roll  8)

71 dB

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Alek Hidell

Quote from: George on February 12, 2020, 08:41:13 AM

Merry Clayton's solo in "Gimme Shelter" may be my most favorite "moment" in all music.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

George

Quote from: Alek Hidell on February 12, 2020, 05:51:48 PM
Merry Clayton's solo in "Gimme Shelter" may be my most favorite "moment" in all music.

One of mine, for sure.

Have you seen this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChONufP0FEs

Alek Hidell

Quote from: George on February 12, 2020, 05:55:22 PM
One of mine, for sure.

Have you seen this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChONufP0FEs

I had not. Thanks for sharing it!

When I hear that part of the song I always think of a couple of James Agee's phrases from Let Us Now Praise Famous Men: that it's as if Clayton's voice "held captured in focus the vengeance of all time" and that her singing is "so rich and so full of anger, serenity, murder, healing, truth and love that it seems incredible that the world were not destroyed and fulfilled in the instant."

George

Alek Hidell

Quote from: George on February 13, 2020, 04:00:30 PM

Well, and that's another good 'un. It inaugurated what I think was their greatest period (Beggar's Banquet [1968] through Exile on Main Street [1972]).

j winter

Quote from: Alek Hidell on February 13, 2020, 05:56:47 PM
Well, and that's another good 'un. It inaugurated what I think was their greatest period (Beggar's Banquet [1968] through Exile on Main Street [1972]).

Completely agreed, great stuff.  They were at their best when Mick Taylor was with them imo -- not sure if he brought out something in the band's chemistry or what it was, perhaps he just gave them an extra competitive push, compared to the more comfortable groove they found with Ronnie Wood after that... for me, Exile will always be their masterpiece.
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

George

Quote from: Alek Hidell on February 13, 2020, 05:56:47 PM

Yeah, that one seems to get the best ratings online, but I actually like Let It Bleed quite a bit more.

vandermolen

Thumbs up for Sgt Pepper, Let it Bleed and Donovan.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

You guys got me thinking about the Stones, sooooo...I grabbed a CD set that I hadn't listened to in ages and put on Disc 3.  It kept me company in the kitchen whilst making (see "What are you eating" thread) the above.
  I think another of the discs will keep me company whilst doing the cleanup too! 
Pohjolas Daughter

George

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 14, 2020, 08:22:59 AM
You guys got me thinking about the Stones, sooooo...I grabbed a CD set that I hadn't listened to in ages and put on Disc 3.  It kept me company in the kitchen whilst making (see "What are you eating" thread) the above.
  I think another of the discs will keep me company whilst doing the cleanup too!

Nice set!

San Antone