Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 17, 2020, 07:11:59 AM
I was thinking earlier of the temptation to put on "It's the end of the world as we know it"....

I listened to (and sang) Armagideon Time.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

steve ridgway

Art Zoyd: Musique Pour L'Odyssée.

As one of the reviewers on Prog Archives put it -

"My very first impression is that the contamination with classical music is as strong as in Magma, with the significant difference of being contaminated by chamber music and contemporary classics more than by opera" :P.

SimonNZ

Quote from: aligreto on March 16, 2020, 07:54:02 AM
The "Incredibles" are not to everyone's taste. I am an ex acoustic guitarist and a late product of that time and I would say that they are musician's musicians if you get my drift. In the annals of guitar playing, nay musicianship, there were for me very few more talented, imaginative and inspirational players than both Robin Williamson and Mike Heron, both founder members of the Incredible String Band. Once I first discovered them as a young man there was no going back for me. They immediately made a huge impression on me. I certainly aspired, but sadly ultimately failed, to reach the heights of their talent in terms of musicianship. I loved the fact that they could play so many different instruments so well. I also loved the arrangements they made in their music making. I particularly loved their sound world which was quite unique.

Thanks for that. Listening to their first album now:

aligreto

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 17, 2020, 09:44:34 PM
Thanks for that. Listening to their first album now:

That one is just OK for me. They were just getting started then obviously. It gets a lot better after that one. Enjoy.

SimonNZ

Quote from: aligreto on March 18, 2020, 04:12:11 AM
That one is just OK for me. They were just getting started then obviously. It gets a lot better after that one. Enjoy.

Which are your favorites of theirs?

aligreto

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 18, 2020, 05:32:12 AM
Which are your favorites of theirs?

For me it is definitely the earlier albums. That is what I "grew up" on. I still listen, from time to time, to them as follows:

The 5000 Spirits
The Hangman's beautiful Daughter
The Big Huge
Wee Tam
Changing Horses

and to a lesser extent....

I looked Up
U
Liquid Acrobat as Regards the Air

aligreto

Elton John: Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

This remains my favourite Elton John album by a long way. I think that he was at the height of his creative powers then. A word must also be offered with regard to the highly gifted Bernie Taupin, without whose lyrics Elton John would have been in another place as far as I am concerned. He also had a really very good band backing him on this album; really tight.

George

Quote from: aligreto on March 19, 2020, 07:49:31 AM
Elton John: Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

This remains my favourite Elton John album by a long way. I think that he was at the height of his creative powers then. A word must also be offered with regard to the highly gifted Bernie Taupin, without whose lyrics Elton John would have been in another place as far as I am concerned. He also had a really very good band backing him on this album; really tight.

I really enjoy that album, too, but I prefer Tumbleweed Connection. Both sound great on MFSL Gold CD.

George

aligreto

The Beatles: Abbey Road

For me, comfort music in troubling times.

j winter

The Who -- 2019 album.  Surprisingly good, this!  :)

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

steve ridgway

Quote from: j winter on March 20, 2020, 08:40:12 AM
The Who -- 2019 album.  Surprisingly good, this!  :)

The World Health Organization have made an album?  :-\

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Neil Young: Comes a Time

I came across this CD almost 27 years ago. It relates to a very specific time in my life and it brings back many happy memories for me. Music can do that.

George

Because sometimes it's better to go with the anger, sadness and frustration.

George

aligreto

McCartney

I have a great affinity with this album for a number of different reasons.

aligreto

Quote from: George on March 21, 2020, 02:47:29 PM

I love everything that he did back then. He was such a different "voice", and one that I still greatly admire.

San Antone

Quote from: aligreto on March 22, 2020, 09:19:13 AM
I love everything that he did back then. He was such a different "voice", and one that I still greatly admire.

Yeah, those three records, Mona Bone Jackon, Tea for the Tillerman, and Teaser and the Firecat and are his best, IMO - and I listened to them so much back during the early '70s.  I was very impressed with Paul Samwell-Smith's production.

aligreto

Quote from: San Antone on March 22, 2020, 10:18:01 AM
Yeah, those three records, Mona Bone Jackon, Tea for the Tillerman, and Teaser and the Firecat and are his best, IMO - and I listened to them so much back during the early '70s.  I was very impressed with Paul Samwell-Smith's production.

Cheers. I would also throw Catch Bull at Four into that little pile.