Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Quote from: George on July 30, 2020, 05:55:23 PM

Hey, George. I don't do lists of favourites etc. but if I did that would always be in the top ten, at least.

Papy Oli

Quote from: George on July 30, 2020, 05:55:23 PM

This always comes with the unbearable pressure of having to pick  either the air guitar or the air drums on Money for Nothing... And end up with both...and some air synthetisers thrown in as well  8) ...looking like one them yoyos  ;D
Olivier

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on July 31, 2020, 12:54:28 AM
This always comes with the unbearable pressure of having to pick  either the air guitar or the air drums on Money for Nothing... And end up with both...and some air synthetisers thrown in as well  8) ...looking like one them yoyos  ;D

Why not post a video of yourself in action?  ;D

Papy Oli

Look at that yoyo,
that's the way he does it,
he plays air guitar in his living room,
he's working it, that's the way he does it
but Nothing for money, and the chick's scowling

:blank:  0:)

Olivier

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on July 31, 2020, 01:53:45 AM
Look at that yoyo,
that's the way he does it,
he plays air guitar in his living room,
he's working it, that's the way he does it
but Nothing for money, and the chick's scowling

:blank:  0:)

You're a poet
But you don't know it   ;D

aligreto

Horslips: Tracks from the Vaults

This one is a very local but a major trip down memory lane for me.

Florestan

I have just listened to a Romanian Radio broadcast about the Panamese (is this the right word?) composer Carlos Almaran (1918-2013), centered on his greatest hit Historia de un amor.

I confess I've known that melody for years but never knew its author and its context. (Frankly, what could a composer wish for more. save for his music being whistled by common people on the street without them ever being able to identify him?)

So here it is, a splendid song:

https://www.youtube.com/v/HSpIE6CN63w

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

aligreto

Quote from: Florestan on July 31, 2020, 09:29:02 AM

....Frankly, what could a composer wish for more. save for his music being whistled by common people on the street without them ever being able to identify him?

https://www.youtube.com/v/HSpIE6CN63w

I wholeheartedly agree and I enjoyed the song.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: kitsune on July 29, 2020, 08:58:11 AM

Hi Kitsune,

I don't know her music at all.  What's it like and what did you enjoy about it?   :)

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Old San Antone

SimonNZ

steve ridgway

Quote from: SimonNZ on July 31, 2020, 05:49:23 PM

Great album, love the way in which the songs were embellished out of all proportion to provide excuses for the organ and guitar extravaganzas 8).

SimonNZ

Quote from: steve ridgway on July 31, 2020, 09:01:50 PM
Great album, love the way in which the songs were embellished out of all proportion to provide excuses for the organ and guitar extravaganzas 8).

Indeed!

Odd that "Hush" doesn't turn up on any of their live albums. Looking into the song on Wikipedia I also note there's a version out there by the Partridge Family...

steve ridgway

Quote from: SimonNZ on August 01, 2020, 01:27:17 AM
Indeed!

Odd that "Hush" doesn't turn up on any of their live albums. Looking into the song on Wikipedia I also note there's a version out there by the Partridge Family...

Aargh the Partridge Family :o. Must listen to Killdozer immediately >:D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VddttDfjnc

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

George

Quote from: aligreto on July 31, 2020, 12:38:13 AM
Hey, George. I don't do lists of favourites etc. but if I did that would always be in the top ten, at least.

Yeah, it's a spectacular album. And it sounds less digital on the Mobile Fidelity SACD.

steve ridgway

Quote from: SimonNZ on August 01, 2020, 01:27:17 AM
Odd that "Hush" doesn't turn up on any of their live albums.

I thought I remembered a live one. Ah yes, it's on the 2 CD version of the Concerto For Group And Orchestra with Malcolm Arnold and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. I don't play that one so much.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: George on August 01, 2020, 09:25:11 AM

I don't know that album George.  Interesting cover:  does it relate to one of the songs?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

George

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 01, 2020, 01:03:46 PM
I don't know that album George.  Interesting cover:  does it relate to one of the songs?

PD

I'm not sure. I am more familiar with the Collins (as singer) era, myself.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: George on August 01, 2020, 01:08:23 PM
I'm not sure. I am more familiar with the Collins (as singer) era, myself.

I found this on Wiki:

"Sleeve design[edit]
The album cover is a painting by Betty Swanwick titled The Dream.[33] Swanwick had designed posters for London Transport between the 1930s and 1950s.[27] The original painting did not include a lawn mower; the band had Swanwick add it later as an allusion to the track "I Know What I Like" because Swanwick told them she did not have enough time to paint a new picture for the cover.[33]"
Pohjolas Daughter