Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

You and me, we're in this together now!!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

steve ridgway

Quote from: George on September 11, 2020, 07:59:30 PM
You and me, we're in this together now!!

I enjoyed those two NIN albums for a while but went off them in the end. They're very well done though, quality stuff. The wife and I still enjoy Trent's singing on this which is the first song the car system plays when the SD card's been put back in after adding more tunes.

steve ridgway

Quote from: greg on September 11, 2020, 09:37:45 AM
I think it was The Flesh Prevails that I used to listen to, but haven't listened to anything from Fallujah since then. Probably should keep them on my radar.
The one thing that stood out for me was some of the Satriani-like things they did in their music, subtle whammy stuff that I didn't hear from any other bands.

I've only just discovered the latest death metal so aren't familiar with any of these groups, but am blown away by how intense it's become. I'd stopped keeping up in the late 90s after thinking it couldn't get any louder and moved on to other genres, but how wrong I was!

Last night first listen to Allegaeon - Formshifter again from archive.org. Another wonderful experience, like the best bits I used to wait for in tracks, but these come continuously all the way through. ;D

greg

Quote from: steve ridgway on September 11, 2020, 08:46:21 PM
I've only just discovered the latest death metal so aren't familiar with any of these groups, but am blown away by how intense it's become. I'd stopped keeping up in the late 90s after thinking it couldn't get any louder and moved on to other genres, but how wrong I was!

Last night first listen to Allegaeon - Formshifter again from archive.org. Another wonderful experience, like the best bits I used to wait for in tracks, but these come continuously all the way through. ;D

Just took a listen to the "Metaphobia" music video from Allegaeon on youtube, and actually I thought it was pretty good. They do remind me a bit of Aborted.

And speaking of them, they are my favorite death metal band.

Their latest EP (only 12 minutes) is amazing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAySwNqFT1A&ab_channel=MetalAloudMusic

And this music video, Vespertine Decay, I love and have watched countless times:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6h1GPZi-g8&ab_channel=CenturyMediaRecords

My official ranking of favorite death metal bands so far (purely DM, not "DM-like") would go something like:
1. Aborted
2. Cannibal Corpse
3. Gorguts
4. Decapitated
5. Nile
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

George

aligreto

Planxty: Words & Music

This is one of those albums that has a special meaning for me. It relates and recalls a specific time in my life, as music often does. Irrespective of that I find it a good album with some wonderful piping from Ó Flynn.

George

Old San Antone

Quote from: George on September 14, 2020, 05:25:59 PM
Great album! I never saw the cover look so good either!

Watched the documentary on it and had to dig it out.

George

Old San Antone

Quote from: George on September 14, 2020, 05:45:34 PM
Documentary?

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti: A Classic Album Under Review

George

Quote from: Old San Antone on September 14, 2020, 06:16:24 PM
Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti: A Classic Album Under Review

Thanks, I'll have to heck that out!

Old San Antone

Davy Graham - another excellent guitarist.

Folk, Blues and Beyond is the second studio album by British musician Davey Graham, originally released in 1965. It has been considered Graham's most groundbreaking and consistent work and a defining record of the 20th century. It has also been a primary influence on some of the most popular musicians in Britain ranging from Bert Jansch to Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton.   (Wikipedia)

aligreto

Papy Oli

Olivier

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 17, 2020, 08:27:28 AM

Olivier,

I thought that you disliked Van Morrison's voice?  Or is this strictly an instrumental album?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Papy Oli

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 17, 2020, 11:24:10 AM
Olivier,

I thought that you disliked Van Morrison's voice?  Or is this strictly an instrumental album?

PD

I did but San Antone did recommend this last album above recently to try as well, as Van M's voice was mellower. he might be onto something because I listened to the first three songs so far and have not turned it off, even did enjoy it  ;D
The music side is still brilliant. More to listen to tomorrow.
Olivier

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 17, 2020, 01:10:31 PM
I did but San Antone did recommend this last album above recently to try as well, as Van M's voice was mellower. he might be onto something because I listened to the first three songs so far and have not turned it off, even did enjoy it  ;D
The music side is still brilliant. More to listen to tomorrow.

After Varese, anything sounds good, yes?  ;D

Papy Oli

Olivier