Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brewski on November 17, 2020, 07:20:52 AM
Jonas Kaufmann: All I Want for Christmas Is You - Welp, I made it through 30 seconds and had to shut it off. Count me in the legions of Kaufmann fans, but this...this...just no.  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUAbmKY-Vhc

--Bruce
I sampled it; ouch!!! And, like you, I'm a big fan of his.  :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

André

The one and only. This 2 disc compilation is excellently produced (material, source).

Pohjolas Daughter

Needed something fun to keep me going whilst doing some work in the kitchen, so:

ABBA to the rescue! 

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

71 dB

Autechre's new albums PLUS and SIGN.

When I ordered these physical CDs from the Bleep.com I was able to download the albums in the format of my choice and start listening:

24 bit wav
16 bit wav
FLAC
320 kbps mp3

24 bit makes zero sense in home listening, because about 80 dB of dynamic range (~13 bit) is all you ever need** while in studio 24 bit has plenty of benefits for technical reasons. I chose FLAC for smaller file sizes. 320 kbps mp3 would have been even smaller files (about half of FLAC), but in theory with reduced sound quality althou 320 kbps mp3 is extremely transparent. FLAC gives me peace of mind.

** The dynamic range of human hearing for music listening in practice is only about 70 dB, because loud sounds raise temporarily the hearing threshold. Also, the listening environments set limitations: Even without the limitations of our ears the background noise level of the listening room, the hiss of audio equipment, the limits of sound pressure levels the speakers can reproduce without huge distortion... ...24 bit doesn't mean better sound quality, because the 16 bit versions have been dithered before truncation so that no distortion happens, only the quantization noise level raises and that's not a problem because it's still well below what we can hear in normal music listening.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

steve ridgway

I downloaded a 24 bit 96 kHz FLAC from archive.org and converted to Apple Lossless which left it 16 bit 96 kHz. It's still a large file though. If converting to 320 Kbps MP3 do you think it'd convert better better at 48 kHz rather than 44 being exactly half the original sample rate? It's only ripped from a crackly vinyl of Stockhausen so seems rather a waste of space as is. ;)

71 dB

Quote from: steve ridgway on November 21, 2020, 07:41:44 AM
I downloaded a 24 bit 96 kHz FLAC from archive.org and converted to Apple Lossless which left it 16 bit 96 kHz. It's still a large file though. If converting to 320 Kbps MP3 do you think it'd convert better better at 48 kHz rather than 44 being exactly half the original sample rate? It's only ripped from a crackly vinyl of Stockhausen so seems rather a waste of space as is. ;)

Yes, the "rule of thumb" is 96 kHz converts better to 48 kHz than 44.1 kHz, but that depents on the algorithm used. 96 kHz can be downsampled to 44.1 kHz with excellent quality using sinc interpolation, but you probably don't know how your mp3 converter does it so 48 kHz is the safe bet so yes, that's a good idea because it means only ~10 % bigger files.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Carlo Gesualdo

Trial of the Bow an Aussie duo that made two  extraordinary significant recording one E.p on full lenght called passage. If you find Dead can Dance deceiving and too mainstream a band for all fart I subject this band Trial of the Bow  : Passage full length and Ornamentation, have a nice day!

steve ridgway

Thanks, I've reconverted from 24/96 FLAC to 16/48 Apple Lossless and it's now 25% of the size. :)

SimonNZ

"P'ansori: Korea's Epic Vocal Art" - Kim So-Hee, vocals (1972)

SimonNZ

SimonNZ

SimonNZ

"Kalpana Improvisations" - Mrinal Sen Gupta, Lateef Ahmed Khan, Tirath Ajmani (1968)

George

George

SimonNZ

Played three times over the last three days. Always found it fascinatingly odd, but now really coming to admire it.

Carlo Gesualdo

Venom ''Black Metal''  >:D lol I am not even kidding folks I like this album, but not a super fan of black metal, this is more aa black-rolls albums , imagine mottorhead mix whit X  speed dark metal

SimonNZ

MN Dave

"The effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only of the shadow, but music of the essence." — Arthur Schopenhauer

SimonNZ

Brenda Lee - Grandma, What Great Songs You Sang (1959)