Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Started off with a bit of Patricia Barber's Café Blue (unmastered)--borrowed from a friend; great album (and wonderful job remastering it!), but too mellow to start the day (a bit tired here too), so put on that Master of the Mandolin Sam Bush--his Ice Caps:  Peaks of Telluride (live from the Telluride Bluegrass Festival).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

André

Torch songs with the glorious voice of Eileen Farrell. Farnon's arrangements are great, too.

George

Quote from: André on December 11, 2020, 08:44:35 AM

Torch songs with the glorious voice of Eileen Farrell. Farnon's arrangements are great, too.

I bought this one earlier this year for a few bucks used. I didn't really connect with it. Should try it again, soon.

Pohjolas Daughter

Earlier today:

Devils & Dust - Bruce Springsteen

Listened to the CD side today; will try the DVD side soon (never had one of these 2-sided things before but had heard of them).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SimonNZ

71 dB

Tangerine Dream - The Sessions VI

[asin]B08JF5K73G[/asin]
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

71 dB

EFMD 2019 - Klangtraube

[asin]B086JXGCX7[/asin]

George

71 dB

Kitaro - Astral Trip

I borrowed this from a friend not knowing what to expect.
First time listening to Kitaro and I liked this a lot! So wonderfully balanced music. Sounds like Japanese Tangerine Dream!  0:)

[asin]B00J0YACBO[/asin]

SimonNZ

Joni Mitchell - Miles Of Aisles (1974)

this live double was the first Joni album I owned and immediately had me rushing out for the rest of her discography, and I'm pleased to hear on a recent episode of the My Favorite Album podcast that this is the guest Kim Richey's pick and for the same reason

vandermolen

Niraj Chag
Mud Doll:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

SimonNZ

Beatrice Dillon - Workaround (2020)

Wire magazine's Album Of The Year

Guardian review

71 dB

Spotify: Guster - Look Alive

Just noticed this band has released this in 2019. I don't know if this is a grower, but it doesn't sound like their strongest effort. Pretty messy. Their "old acoustic" sound is married with modern pop sound. The songs seem all over the place. Their best days where two decades ago when they released their third album "Lost And Gone Forever".

I have been a little bit absent. I have been doing my own things and avoiding online boards. I have been learning to listen to music again. I even discovered a "guilty pleasure" band, Air Supply, an Australian band that made really suckery soft rock ballads masterfully some 40 years ago. Very banal music, but so well done one can't stop listening!  ??? Unfortunately their albums are insanely hard to get! Just my luck. Well, a best of combilation then...

...I was even able to enjoy Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra finding it a magic piece of music! I feel quite good. So, don't be surprised to hardly see me on this board. If my happiness is elsewhere I better stay away...

SonicMan46

Tony Rice, famed bluegrass guitarist, singer, composer dies on Christmas day at 69 years of age!  Born in Danville, VA near the North Carolina border and lived in Reidsville, NC at the time of his death, both w/i an hour's drive from me.  I've been a bluegrass fan for decades and Tony was such a force in the genre (and others) - own about 8 or so of his albums, love them all but a favorite is the one mentioned below in the short NPR bio synopsis, i.e. J.D. Crowe and the New South - pics below of the young Rice w/ Ricky Skaggs - put together a Spotify playlist of 6 of his early albums - listening now.  Dave :)

QuoteTony Rice could seemingly do it all: sing, compose, play spot-on rhythm. But it was his guitar solos that just astounded audiences and fellow musicians alike. He was idolized by bluegrass and acoustic music fans in large part because he was determined never to let them down. Rice died on Christmas morning at the age of 69. His death was first announced by the International Bluegrass Music Association. David Anthony Rice was born in Danville, Va., on June 8, 1951. His father was a welder and the family moved to Los Angeles, where the youngster got into bluegrass. His first big influence was guitarist Clarence White and the Kentucky Colonels. At the age of 19, Rice moved back East to play professionally, eventually joining banjo player J.D. Crowe's band, the New South. In 1975, they released the landmark album, J.D. Crowe and the New South. Its progressive sounds marked a dramatic shift in bluegrass and the album became so iconic among fans that it was known simply by its record label catalogue number: Rounder 0044. (Source)

SimonNZ

T. D.

SimonNZ

The Sabri Brothers and Ensemble ‎– Qawwali - Sufi Music From Pakistan (1978)

Carlo Gesualdo

Well, tonight folks I am listening to dark sludge that is doomy from Pau France, French side of Basque country, and love thee album currently listening on Crucial Blast label.

There mostly  snail tempo slow and loud very loud, stoner-ish ,very enjoyable, what the album name wait I check it out for you're pleasures: Deadmen tell no tales 5 song two full CD's album, destiny is this double album is a a classical of genre it's mostly instrumental but it's dark whispering of a French female singer, hit a black metal aesthetic I recommended this following group for thos that like kilometric long song's of sludge/doom/black or whatever this is good stuff.