Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Karl Henning

Ian Anderson, Homo erraticus. Don't mind saying that I enjoy this as much as the "classic Tull albums."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Szykneij

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 17, 2021, 11:29:22 AM
Ian Anderson, Homo erraticus. Don't mind saying that I enjoy this as much as the "classic Tull albums."

I saw him live at the Blue Hills Pavilion early this past year. Great show! Combined live performances with some excellent video. He was supposed to perform at the Chevalier venue in September, but the concert was understandably cancelled. Too bad, because that hall is in walking distance to my home.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Old San Antone

Quote from: SonicMan46 on December 28, 2020, 08:17:19 AM
Tony Rice, famed bluegrass guitarist, singer, composer dies on Christmas day at 69 years of age!  Born in Danville, VA near the North Carolina border and lived in Reidsville, NC at the time of his death, both w/i an hour's drive from me.  I've been a bluegrass fan for decades and Tony was such a force in the genre (and others) - own about 8 or so of his albums, love them all but a favorite is the one mentioned below in the short NPR bio synopsis, i.e. J.D. Crowe and the New South - pics below of the young Rice w/ Ricky Skaggs - put together a Spotify playlist of 6 of his early albums - listening now.  Dave :)

There is a great YouTube show hosted by Bryan Sutton called Me and his Guitar.  Tony Rice was a major force in the Bluegrass and Americana community and his death is a huge loss.  R.I.P. Tony.

stingo

The Dollyrots - A Little Messed Up

[asin]B003S89854[/asin]

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

MN Dave

I'm inside all the time so today it was a workout to New Wave Essentials on Apple Music.
"The effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only of the shadow, but music of the essence." — Arthur Schopenhauer

SimonNZ

Ice-T's Original Gangster (1991) ((thirty years!!)

Desert Island Disc. Is there a rap album out there that comes close to it? Please tell me if there is.

steve ridgway

Quote from: MN Dave on January 24, 2021, 08:37:02 AM
I'm inside all the time so today it was a workout to New Wave Essentials on Apple Music.

What do Apple consider New Wave Essentials? Spizzoil, Rikki And The Last Days Of Earth, Cabaret Voltaire?

George

Quote from: MN Dave on January 24, 2021, 08:37:02 AM

From the looks of your avatar, it appears your workouts are really helping you keep the weight off.  :D

SonicMan46

Quote from: Old San Antone on January 23, 2021, 06:53:20 PM
There is a great YouTube show hosted by Bryan Sutton called Me and his Guitar.  Tony Rice was a major force in the Bluegrass and Americana community and his death is a huge loss.  R.I.P. Tony.

Hi San Antone - we last saw Tony Rice 'live' probably just before his last performances - was in Boone, NC at Appalachian State University - of course, his great baritone voice was long gone (see quote below) but his guitar playing was still spectacular.  Dave :)

QuoteRice's singing voice was a distinctive baritone. In 1994 he was diagnosed with a disorder known as muscle tension dysphonia and as a result was forced to stop singing in live performance. A 2014 diagnosis of lateral epicondylitis ("tennis elbow") made guitar playing painful and Rice's last performance playing guitar live was his induction into the International Bluegrass Music Hall of Fame in 2013. (Source)

Old San Antone

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 25, 2021, 09:47:12 AM
Hi San Antone - we last saw Tony Rice 'live' probably just before his last performances - was in Boone, NC at Appalachian State University - of course, his great baritone voice was long gone (see quote below) but his guitar playing was still spectacular.  Dave :)

Yes, I knew about his vocal health problems.  In his IBMA Hall of Fame induction speech he alluded to Allison Krause's struggles with the same thing.  That speech is very moving since he goes on to use some techniques which allowed him to speak in his natural voice but it took much effort (11:30). 

His speech starts around the 9 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/v/ZBzGDa5DAjE

SimonNZ

Bob Dylan - Knocked Out Loaded (1986)

"Brownsville Girl" aside I find that while undemanding and perhaps even as the title suggests phoned in while drunk and stoned I still feel it plays nicely and doesn't deserve its persisting negative rating.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Old San Antone on January 25, 2021, 03:37:21 PM
Yes, I knew about his vocal health problems.  In his IBMA Hall of Fame induction speech he alluded to Allison Krause's struggles with the same thing.  That speech is very moving since he goes on to use some techniques which allowed him to speak in his natural voice but it took much effort (11:30). 

His speech starts around the 9 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/v/ZBzGDa5DAjE

Thanks for posting - a moving speech.  Dave :)

DavidW

George

SimonNZ

SimonNZ

A deeply strange and glorious album that one.

After however many listens I still don't have the measure of it.

How do you rate it?