Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

aligreto

An Introduction to Asia

This one has a very varied palette and features both instrumental and vocal music from as far afield as Yemen to Sri Lanka and practically everywhere in between. It is a mix of traditional and modern music. The instruments used are also interesting.

Carlo Gesualdo

Grinding early sludge music of the following band

Of Cabbages and Kings there first e.p , harsh noisy, proggy/relentless/brutal , are such keywords.

I wonder if I am the only person on GmG that his aware of this music long defunct band, but show skills I happen to have two more album The Reign, and another later one.

Have a nice day folks.

aligreto

Ravi Shankar: Homage to Mahatma Gandhi & Baba Allauddin

The technical skill ability of Shankar as a musician is unquestionable but what I find when relistening to the opening track of this album [his homage to Mahatma Gandhi] is a depth of emotion that I have not sensed before. There is an interesting progression, via the introduction of rhythm throughout Side A, towards lively and very exciting displays instrumentally. This is a display of technical brilliance on a very difficult instrument to play. I would repeat the same sentiments when considering Side B, Shankar's homage to Baba Allauddin who was Shankar's guru. Yes, there are wonderful technical skills on display throughout this album but there is also a deeply felt sense of spirituality. It is all very pleasant on my ear.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: aligreto on April 05, 2021, 08:46:49 AM
This recent 4XLP purchase

has prompted me to re-explore an unfrequented section of my vinyl collection.

Kohachiro Miyata: Shakuhachi

I start with this offering which is certainly very visceral and is definitely thought provoking. The performance is wonderful in its delivery of both the music and the emotion inferred.

Glad you like the album ! (Somehow the pic of album doesn't show up on my iPad. Maybe it's only me).

Quote from: aligreto on April 05, 2021, 06:33:18 AM
Paco Pena: Flamenco

Yes, wonderful music and wonderful, exciting and engaging playing.

I don't know about him. I will look for the recording.

aligreto

Wakeman: The Six Wives of Henry VIII

This album is still a perennial favourite with me.

aligreto

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on April 07, 2021, 06:56:44 AM

I don't know about him. I will look for the recording.

You must be young, and I mean that as a compliment , :) because back in the day he made endless recordings. He would be well known to old timers like me. You should have no trouble finding something of his out there.

Mirror Image

NP: John Zorn - Gnosis: The Inner Light

aligreto

José Greco and company: Danzas flamencas

This is a presentation of very authentic sounding flamenco dancing and singing. The vocals are heartfelt and the accompanied sound from the guitar, dancing feet and castanets are all very atmospheric.

aligreto

Dade Krama: Ancestral Music of Africa

This one is interesting for the rhythmic patterns and the percussion instruments used. The various instrumentation used is primitive but very effective and interesting and always enhances the sense of the primordial. The vocal elements, never overbearing, also enhance the relevant atmosphere considerably.

bhodges

Prince - "Welcome 2 America," the title track from an album he recorded in 2010, which will be released in July. Link in the article below, from The Guardian. Based on this single, I suspect most fans will be ecstatic.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/apr/08/lost-prince-album-welcome-2-america-to-be-released-in-july

--Bruce

aligreto

Ó'Riada Sa Gaiety

Seán Ó'Riada is a well known Irish composer. His roots were very much firmly based in the traditional music and culture of Ireland. So much so, that he took the time to create, participate in and perform with an ensemble of traditional Irish musicians. He was an inspirational figure in many ways on the Irish musical scene both during and after his lifetime. This album is a record of a renowned performance.

71 dB

Air Supply - Love and other Bruises

Last December I discovered this Australian soft/yacht rock band and to my surprise realized I really like their music. :o I practically spent January and February to get as many of their albums on CD as possible. Their first 4 albums (1976-79) are really difficult to get, but the third one named "Love and other Bruises" with 10 track is a "best of compilation" of the first two. This one I managed to buy on ebay is another compilation named "Love and other Bruises" with 12 tracks (6 tracks each from the first two albums). Confusing? Yes. It took me a while to sort all of this out for myself...
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

aligreto

Dembo Konte & Kausu Kuyateh: Simbomba

I like this one. It makes for easy listening yet it is still very atmospheric. The vocal couplings and harmonies are very interesting as is the sound world of the instruments used.

aligreto

Dembo Konte & Kausu Kuyateh: Tanante

This is another offering from this duo which makes for easy listening. The ground bass in the musical accompaniment is almost mesmeric and it just transports you to another place.

Iota

An album I like, but the standout song for me always, was also by far the simplest, "4 + 20". Time just seemed to stop when that track started.

aligreto

Robbert & Anja Van Lint: Hemel En Aarde Kunnen Vergaan, Vrolijke Musici Blijven Bestaan

Apparently I have been listening to some Dutch Medieval Folk Music. Perhaps someone can enlighten me. Either way, it is all good fun.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Iota on April 10, 2021, 11:07:48 AM

An album I like, but the standout song for me always, was also by far the simplest, "4 + 20". Time just seemed to stop when that track started.

A hard-hitting track with great storytelling too.
Olivier

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter