Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Paco Pena: Flamenco Puro Live

This presentation has all of the hallmarks of a live performance. The raw emotion of the singing, the sympathetic guitar playing and the exciting sound of the dancing all come through very well in electric performances. The audience certainly appreciated it all.

aligreto

The Red Army Ensemble: Cossack Patrol

What better way to follow a live flamenco session than with a hearty troupe of Cossacks singing in full voice. Absolutely wonderful, stirring stuff!

Carlo Gesualdo

Listening folks at home to CELTIC FROST
- Monotheist
- Into Megatherion

Had listen  too many time I am afraid to Morbid Tales like Into Pandemonium.

I always view Celtic Frost as avant-garde more than metal or symphonic metal, they were novelty now there still today, or it's my opinion.

There best albums I mention for a noob, hey, goodbye, take care, I'm only listening to this when want to wake up. It's secret have insomnia and  a hard time waking up too, but I got some CF.

aligreto

aligreto

The Police: Regatta de Blanc

They certainly had a different sound.

aligreto

Ketama: Songhai

This is an interesting album. I have been listening to some of my flamenco LPs recently. Ketama are a band rooted in and drawing upon the forms of flamenco, rhumbas and Latin and Spanish rhythms. It all comes through in an authentic but very modern sounding form. They are very successful in maintaining the inherent emotional and rhythmic integrities of the music. The bass player on the album is one Danny Thompson, whose name some will recognise.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on April 13, 2021, 02:07:28 AM
Ketama: Songhai

This is an interesting album. I have been listening to some of my flamenco LPs recently. Ketama are a band rooted in and drawing upon the forms of flamenco, rhumbas and Latin and Spanish rhythms. It all comes through in an authentic but very modern sounding form. They are very successful in maintaining the inherent emotional and rhythmic integrities of the music. The bass player on the album is one Danny Thompson, whose name some will recognise.
You do have quite a diverse and interesting music collection Aligreto; to be commended!  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Ravi Shankar: Raga Khamaj & Raga Lalit

I know very little about Indian music but I have heard a few Ragas in my time. They have a clearly defined form and musical progression that is instantly recognizable. It really does lend itself to very pleasurable and exciting listening particularly when presented by an excellent ensemble.

aligreto

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 13, 2021, 04:23:44 AM
You do have quite a diverse and interesting music collection Aligreto; to be commended!  :)

Thank you PD. A lot of this stuff would only be occasional listening and one tries to keep an open mind/ear.

Carlo Gesualdo

poste was deleted out of context wrong place sorry

aligreto

Wings Over America

I pulled this one off the shelf and I had planned to listen to one side only or perhaps two sides at the most. Well that plan was rapidly abandoned and I ended up listening to all six sides in a row. A waste of time one might say but it was an extremely pleasurable one. It is, for me, the wonderful stuff of happy memories of a carefree time when nothing else mattered but the music.
They were a wonderfully exciting and imaginative band in those early halcyon days of the 1970's and I would dearly have loved to have heard them live in their heyday but I was young and too poor then. But I now have all of the relevant albums to remember a one time, early, and fond obsession.  8)

Papy Oli

A very varied page there, Fergus !

I only ever listened to Band on the Run, nothing else. Maybe on the next exploration  8)
Olivier

SimonNZ

"McCartney 3" is getting rave reviews. I haven't heard it yet.

aligreto

Salamat and Nazakat Ali

These two brothers were apparently renowned in the world of North Indian classical music. They have very contrasting styles of singing. One is quite virtuosic while the other provides a more steady but very balanced approach. However, they blend very well together in a homogenous sound.

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on April 14, 2021, 05:25:17 AM

I only ever listened to Band on the Run, nothing else. Maybe on the next exploration  8)

All light and good fun, but good music and music making also.

aligreto

Quote from: SimonNZ on April 14, 2021, 07:32:02 AM
"McCartney 3" is getting rave reviews. I haven't heard it yet.

As a life long McCartney fan I was disappointed with it. There are some good songs on it but a lot of them are overly long and need a good edit. He is also singing in the wrong key for his voice at his age. The falsetto does not work for me anymore and when he drops down in tone on the album he actually still sounds quite good. Just my two cents worth.

MusicTurner

Marley - Catch a Fire (1973)

Again and again. This is great art ...  :)

vers la flamme

Quote from: MusicTurner on April 14, 2021, 09:20:16 AM
Marley - Catch a Fire (1973)

Again and again. This is great art ...  :)

Phenomenal album!

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

aligreto

Quote from: George on April 14, 2021, 03:20:28 PM

I was wondering how he jumped so high into the air and then I looked at his shoes and realized that he had a good start  ;D