Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: aligreto on April 15, 2021, 02:15:06 AM
I was wondering how he jumped so high into the air and then I looked at his shoes and realized that he had a good start  ;D

Hah!  ;D
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Carlo Gesualdo

GORE ''Slow death'' rare CD Nederland only , use to come whit a magazine, this is there perfect, neck snapping rendition in NY N.Y.C in 1992, I have it the CD Gold tainted,  artifact of brutal rock/crusty stuff/muddy sludge.

8)

P.s Common anybody here heard about this  loud stoner rock name GORE at least in Holland.That cold mechanical and ultra crushing repetitive riffs kills in a good way!!!

:laugh:[/u]

aligreto

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan: Qawwal and Party

This is an interesting mix of traditional and modern songs and sounds. The vocal presentations are very engaging and appealing and the rhythms are infectious.

George

George

steve ridgway

Art Zoyd - Symphonie Pour Le Jour Où Brûleront Les Cités. Interesting album - classical instruments apart from electric bass guitar, no vocals, no drums so it makes me wonder about what makes it rock rather than classical music. I'm thinking along the lines of 4 bar repetition of phrases, explicit rhythm marked out by the bass, limited chord progressions and maybe the compressed dynamics.

aligreto

Clifford T. Ward: Home Thoughts

I still like to give this one an occasional listen. It is a long time favourite of mine.

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

George

aligreto

Quote from: George on April 17, 2021, 02:35:23 PM

By far, my favorite Elton album.

Excellent stuff indeed. Happy listening.  :)

bhodges

Somehow I missed this live broadcast from Audra McDonald in June 2020, with Andy Einhorn at the piano, presented by Carnegie Hall. A mix of talk and song, and all great, but worth it solely for "(In My) Solitude" by Duke Ellington at 24:00—particularly poignant, given the year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O8kD97sj8Y&t=1548s

--Bruce

vandermolen

Avishai Cohen.
Really nice CD - kind of Arabic/Israeli + jazz with the Gothenburg SO.
I'm always on the look out for music that my wife and I both enjoy and that I'm not subjected to 'MUST WE LISTEN TO THIS NOISE?' whenever I play the CD.  ::)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on April 18, 2021, 09:20:09 AM

I'm always on the look out for music that my wife and I both enjoy and that I'm not subjected to 'MUST WE LISTEN TO THIS NOISE?' whenever I play the CD.  ::)

So she is not a Varese fan then, I assume?  ;D

Alek Hidell

Quote from: George on April 14, 2021, 03:20:28 PM

A very fine album, and it seemed he had found a way forward after There's a Riot Goin' On. But things kind of petered out after this ...

Played this the other day on Spotify while working at home:

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

George

aligreto

Tunisie Eternelle

This atmospheric presentation consists mainly of chants on Side A and dances on Side B. I particularly like the infectious rhythmic patterns throughout and the variety of instrumentation used. The ensemble is full sounding and the album has a great presence.

aligreto

Mikis Theodorakis: Zorba

There is some wonderful virtuoso bouzouki playing on this album. As it is dance music it is also foot tappingly good. It is a very enjoyable and entertaining album.

The new erato

The Weather Station: Ignorance.

Fascinating disc!