Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Quote from: Alek Hidell on August 01, 2021, 04:01:15 PM
Hm, interesting. Never heard of it (or Julius Lester for that matter). Judging by the fact that it's on Vanguard, and by his appearance, I'd guess it to be avant-garde jazz. What is it, Simon? and what's it like?

I hadn't heard of him before yesterday, but he's got a fascinating biography. Outside all his other activities he made two albums for Vanguard, this being the second. Its blues in the Lightning Hopkins style, about half in the "talking blues" tradition, most with a strong Black Power message though somehow subdued in delivery and the occasional humorous anecdote. Recommended.

That was catalogue number VSD 79261 - now I'm listening to the next number along:

Junior Wells - Coming At You (1967)

Alek Hidell

Quote from: SimonNZ on August 01, 2021, 04:17:22 PM
I hadn't heard of him before yesterday, but he's got a fascinating biography. Outside all his other activities he made two albums for Vanguard, this being the second. Its blues in the Lightning Hopkins style, about half in the "talking blues" tradition, most with a strong Black Power message though somehow subdued in delivery. Recommended.

Interesting. Thanks!
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: SimonNZ on August 01, 2021, 04:17:22 PM
I hadn't heard of him before yesterday, but he's got a fascinating biography. Outside all his other activities he made two albums for Vanguard, this being the second. Its blues in the Lightning Hopkins style, about half in the "talking blues" tradition, most with a strong Black Power message though somehow subdued in delivery and the occasional humorous anecdote. Recommended.

That was catalogue number VSD 79261 - now I'm listening to the next number along:

Junior Wells - Coming At You (1967)

When I was a junior high school student, I was a big fan of Junior Wells and Buddy Guy. I should listen to their music again!

Carlo Gesualdo

Hello folks out there on GMG friend, follower , enemy, , stranger space aliens grey and green, and that about it I'm listening to the first HALO ,called : Subliminal Transmition this there utter most sludgy, this is an Aussie industrial doom metal band , similar to GODFLESH & SWANS, this stuff kills lol  8)

Hello my beloved Aussie friend on GMG, I love the Aussie specimen, very nice folks , I work whit them once, and there women do flirt there not scared , there super sweet,  ;D

bhodges

Found a fun bit of footage from Dwayne Dopsie and the Zydeco Hellraisers, filmed in 2015 in Cahors. Fantastic accordion playing from Dopsie, and great washboard by Vincent Doucet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ0tWZEBN68

--Bruce

The new erato

Listene to a lot of Wishbone Ash in the car yesterday. They really kick ass on a Long car drive!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brewski on August 02, 2021, 08:08:47 PM
Found a fun bit of footage from Dwayne Dopsie and the Zydeco Hellraisers, filmed in 2015 in Cahors. Fantastic accordion playing from Dopsie, and great washboard by Vincent Doucet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ0tWZEBN68

--Bruce
Bruce,

I haven't seen Dwayne Dopsie perform before, but I did get to see Rockin' Dopsie, Jr. perform (in NOLA--if my brain is remembering correctly--a number of years ago).  Have you seen DD and the ZH before?   :)

Love Cajun and Zydeco music...the food...the people......It's all good!  ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Carlo Gesualdo

Dissecting Table of Japan, super cool , super destroy band of art school industrial/ death whiteout metal love this band a lots.

I am looking for a similar band called Mental Destruction from sweden but only have on song of a compilation, they were really good, anyone has there  first released  CD and can copied them for me , in sweden?

aligreto

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Alek Hidell

Quote from: George on August 07, 2021, 08:01:37 AM

Ha, I had the hots for Pat Benatar when I was in high school (early 1980s) - but, alas, she had to go for Neil Giraldo instead. :D
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

bhodges

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 03, 2021, 12:41:59 AM
Bruce,

I haven't seen Dwayne Dopsie perform before, but I did get to see Rockin' Dopsie, Jr. perform (in NOLA--if my brain is remembering correctly--a number of years ago).  Have you seen DD and the ZH before?   :)

Love Cajun and Zydeco music...the food...the people......It's all good!  ;D

PD

(Sorry, missed this -- I've been traveling a bit!)

Rockin' Dopsie, Jr. is also incredible. I haven't heard him as often as Dwayne, but recall a memorable snapshot: Years ago, during the French Quarter Festival, we passed a pleasant, somewhat unassuming home with an open garage door. With maybe 2 or 3 other musicians, Rockin' was performing, right there on the street.

And yes, I've heard Dwayne and the crew live maybe 5 or 6 times over the years. He is one of the best accordion players I have ever heard in my life, and his band are equally talented. (He's recruited some terrific washboard players.)

And as for your last sentence, yes, yes, YES.  ;D

--Bruce

Carlo Gesualdo

TREPONEM PAL

Why do I like  the first 3 Treponem Pal
How does they sound like  Early Voivod meet Godflesh meet Ministry

Listen to youtube  there performance are always very intense, watch Treponem pal live in 1993 complete show in Sheffield England, and Treponem Pal live 1995 complete show, this is outstanding The singer is such a performer, the musicians are machines, they totally awesome, my favorite is  Aggravation  album follow closely by Excess and Overdrives, the eponymous album is real good too

Carlo Gesualdo

The wild Swan

My favorite song's are!

Flower of England
This is the worst year of my life
No Bleeding

Great band  :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brewski on August 10, 2021, 08:23:35 AM
(Sorry, missed this -- I've been traveling a bit!)

Rockin' Dopsie, Jr. is also incredible. I haven't heard him as often as Dwayne, but recall a memorable snapshot: Years ago, during the French Quarter Festival, we passed a pleasant, somewhat unassuming home with an open garage door. With maybe 2 or 3 other musicians, Rockin' was performing, right there on the street.

And yes, I've heard Dwayne and the crew live maybe 5 or 6 times over the years. He is one of the best accordion players I have ever heard in my life, and his band are equally talented. (He's recruited some terrific washboard players.)

And as for your last sentence, yes, yes, YES.  ;D

--Bruce
Traveling?!  What's that?!  ???  It sounds vaguely familiar.

And cool stories!  :)

PD

p.s.  Have you ever heard Rosie Ledet before?
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Derek Bell: Carolan's Receipt

Derek Bell was a harpist with the internationally renowned Irish group The Chieftains so his pedigree is well established there. He was also a multi-instrumentalist and musicologist. O'Carolan [1670 – 1738] was a renowned blind Irish harper and composer whose music is still regularly played in my country. Derek Bell was one of the great exponents of O'Carolan's music.

Carlo Gesualdo

Quote from: aligreto on August 12, 2021, 07:11:07 AM
Derek Bell: Carolan's Receipt

AWESOME finds not awesome , but in caps lock
:)
Derek Bell was a harpist with the internationally renowned Irish group The Chieftains so his pedigree is well established there. He was also a multi-instrumentalist and musicologist. O'Carolan [1670 – 1738] was a renowned blind Irish harper and composer whose music is still regularly played in my country. Derek Bell was one of the great exponents of O'Carolan's music.

bhodges

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 11, 2021, 10:11:33 AM
Traveling?!  What's that?!  ???  It sounds vaguely familiar.

And cool stories!  :)

PD

p.s.  Have you ever heard Rosie Ledet before?

Hehe, yes, now that I'm vaccinated, am resuming travel (cautiously).  ;D

And yes, we heard Rosie Ledet at either JazzFest or the French Quarter Festival a few years ago. Another gem!

--Bruce

bhodges

From last night on Colbert, Jennifer Hudson sings "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman" with help from Jon Batiste and Colbert himself (!). Later in the show she channeled Aretha Franklin in "R.E.S.P.E.C.T.," with a big contingent of chorus and brass. I have high hopes for Hudson's new movie about Franklin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHQy5wu18uI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE8anQxVm7A

--Bruce

SimonNZ

The Cleanliness And Godliness Skiffle Band - s/t (1968)