Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve ridgway

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 24, 2021, 05:40:03 AM
Did you rip all of your CDs to a hard drive(s?) and are listening through headphones or a music streamer?

Yes, I use personal music players with headphones or plugged into an iPod dock.

Carlo Gesualdo

Listening to OF CABBAGES & KINGS, Th mystical band  one of the first pure sludge whit a blue-rock intonation,  they got a blues singer Caroline Master, that is very good female vocalist  and guitarist,and big dude bass behemoth, sir Algis Kyzis one of the uttermost powerfull pummel bass bass  and Ted Parson a drumming killing machine very thigh playing

Have The veils things E.P finally and Face LP first LP in analogue.Both E.P 1987 and Face LP contain  power & might, musical yet crusty, melodic lead guitar. classical  overtone.

Starling, Lighthouse of the 80'' only rare footage exist from them. Try them there Bluesy sludgerock ultra confrontational. You may or not like this kind of stuff but those whom like em like em a lot.

Carlo Gesualdo

Hello folks, It's Being a while post  some stuff, here on this non-classical Tread. I'm listening to FOETUS a ratter old rock/noise /blues band, The album call Rife or corruptus rife, It  ,it's featured Norman westberg of Swans fame and Algis Kysis of Swans too and the mythological monolithic band of Blues/ sludge very heavy stuff yet not metal.

It Happen to be a classic of it's own league, love this album, very confrontatonal sometime creeps yet musical.

Have a good night, I will post same more in the classical  tread, since no one like my non-classical.

Me the boy gone to the surgeon dentist they pull out 4 teeth by god mean it was painfully for 3 full day, I agonize on my bed cry of pain litherally, today I had a force major Head Ache, it was heal even whit  prescriptions  of heavy painkillers was really that bad was not enough as pain was awful hardcore I felt liker  was dying of pain, but the good new is I'm alive   ;)

SimonNZ

Bob Dylan - Tell Tale Signs

Both discs.

Not jut one of the essential Bootleg Series releases, but one of the essential Dylan albums, period

George

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 02, 2021, 01:22:23 AM

Bob Dylan - Tell Tale Signs

Both discs.

Not jut one of the essential Bootleg Series releases, but one of the essential Dylan albums, period

Yeah, I am primarily a sixties Dylan fan, but I really enjoyed that set. A shame the third disc was only on the expensive Deluxe Edition.

Have you heard the new bootleg set? I sampled some on Spotify and it didn't grab me.

Now playing:

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Pohjolas Daughter

Currently on:  Tears for Fears' Tears Roll Down (Greatest Hits 82-92)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

George

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 02, 2021, 07:51:11 AM
Currently on:  Tears for Fears' Tears Roll Down (Greatest Hits 82-92)

PD

Nice one!

SimonNZ

Quote from: George on October 02, 2021, 06:00:13 AM
Yeah, I am primarily a sixties Dylan fan, but I really enjoyed that set. A shame the third disc was only on the expensive Deluxe Edition.

Have you heard the new bootleg set? I sampled some on Spotify and it didn't grab me.

Now playing:

So far I've only heard random tracks available on Dylans own channel on YouTube but I thought the Infidels stuff with Mark Knopfler sounded great. The Empire Burlesque stuff much less so wishing there more things like demos from that album or other options that strip away the appalling 80s production overkill everything was given on that one.

Re Sting: I remember how crushing disappointed I was when The Soul Cages came out after having so loved the ambition and multi-genre influences of Nothing Like The Sun.

George

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 02, 2021, 01:26:16 PM
Re Sting: I remember how crushing disappointed I was when The Soul Cages came out after having so loved the ambition and multi-genre influences of Nothing Like The Sun.

I can understand that.

In my case, Soul Cages has always been a source of serene consolation for me.

SimonNZ

Quote from: George on October 02, 2021, 07:03:47 PM
I can understand that.

I have nothing objectively against it. Many of the songs are quite fine. But at the time I had assumed he would continue the trajectory of jazz and world influences further, reinforced in my mind by his releasing Nada Como El Sol where he sings Nothing Like The Sun songs in Spanish and Portuguese.

Haven't actually played The Soul Cages in a very long time. Might give it a listen later tonight.

vandermolen

Ordered this inexpensive CD (£7.99 new) having really enjoyed hearing a track on the radio yesterday. I was sure that it would be download only. Even my wife should enjoy it:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: George on October 02, 2021, 07:03:47 PM
I can understand that.

Sounds interesting.  Any particular songs that you like on it George?  I'll see if I can either find it online or via library or store.

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 02, 2021, 01:26:16 PM
So far I've only heard random tracks available on Dylans own channel on YouTube but I thought the Infidels stuff with Mark Knopfler sounded great. The Empire Burlesque stuff much less so wishing there more things like demos from that album or other options that strip away the appalling 80s production overkill everything was given on that one.Re Sting: I remember how crushing disappointed I was when The Soul Cages came out after having so loved the ambition and multi-genre influences of Nothing Like The Sun.

Didn't know that Dylan had his own youtube channel!  Will try and find the recording(s?) with Mark Knopfler as I enjoy both of their work.  :)

Quote from: vandermolen on October 03, 2021, 12:58:20 AM
Ordered this inexpensive CD (£7.99 new) having really enjoyed hearing a track on the radio yesterday. I was sure that it would be download only. Even my wife should enjoy it:

What was the track that you had heard Jeffrey?

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

George

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 03, 2021, 04:06:55 AM
Sounds interesting.  Any particular songs that you like on it George?  I'll see if I can either find it online or via library or store.

I love the whole album and always listen to the whole thing.

Here's the first song: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mrUMCYwZpi4

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: George on October 03, 2021, 06:12:40 AM
I love the whole album and always listen to the whole thing.

Here's the first song: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mrUMCYwZpi4
Thanks George, I'll check it out later.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vers la flamme

Nonstop listening in the car this past week:

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on October 03, 2021, 12:58:20 AM

Looks very interesting, Jeffrey!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

George

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 03, 2021, 02:49:06 PM
Nonstop listening in the car this past week:

By far, my favorite release by this amazing band! 

vers la flamme

Quote from: George on October 03, 2021, 03:58:00 PM
By far, my favorite release by this amazing band!

It's a damn good one. So many great songs.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 03, 2021, 03:42:28 PM
Looks very interesting, Jeffrey!

+1. Looks interesting. I need to get the disc!

Mirror Image

NP:

Fleetwood Mac: Tango in the Night

After Tusk, I'd say Tango in the Night would be my second favorite Fleetwood Mac album. Great songs, musicianship and production.