Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 03, 2021, 05:05:37 PM
NP:

Fleetwood Mac: Tango in the Night

After Tusk, I'd say Tango in the Night would be my second favorite Fleetwood Mac album. Great songs, musicianship and production.

Always nice to see love for Tusk!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 03, 2021, 05:11:09 PM
Always nice to see love for Tusk!

Indeed! A hugely underrated album. They just couldn't have done it without Lindsey Buckingham and, believe it or not, Christine McVie, IMHO. Of course, Stevie Nicks was a vital songwriter in the band, but I think a lot of the times the music itself couldn't have happened without Buckingham's fingerprints.

SimonNZ

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 03, 2021, 04:06:55 AM

Didn't know that Dylan had his own youtube channel!  Will try and find the recording(s?) with Mark Knopfler as I enjoy both of their work.  :)

At the moment you can try out all 25 tracks of the 2cd set here:

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_km9O8m-IQ8KO33eOX15KIUmuTA4WyZuAw

I actually picked up a copy of the 2cd set on the way home today and am looking forward to more listening and also the reading. Wish I had the disposable cash for the big box - I was already feeling guilty just with this.

A detail some might want to know: there are seven songs that overlap with the Bootleg 1-3 collection, but in each case they are a different outtake or from a different stage of the songs evolution. You won't be duplicating material with the 2cd set if you already have that earlier box.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 03, 2021, 08:20:43 PM
At the moment you can try out all 25 tracks of the 2cd set here:

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_km9O8m-IQ8KO33eOX15KIUmuTA4WyZuAw

I actually picked up a copy of the 2cd set on the way home today and am looking forward to more listening and also the reading. Wish I had the disposable cash for the big box - I was already feeling guilty just with this.

A detail some might want to know: there are seven songs that overlap with the Bootleg 1-3 collection, but in each case they are a different outtake or from a different stage of the songs evolution. You won't be duplicating material with the 2cd set if you already have that earlier box.
Thanks Simon!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on October 03, 2021, 12:58:20 AM
Ordered this inexpensive CD (£7.99 new) having really enjoyed hearing a track on the radio yesterday. I was sure that it would be download only. Even my wife should enjoy it:

This album is a delight, Jeffrey, thanks! I snagged the mp3 album for five clams on Amazon.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

NP:

Kate Bush: Hounds Of Love (2018 Guthrie remaster)

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

vers la flamme

George

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 04, 2021, 01:21:13 PM
Underrated album from one of my favorite bands. (Too slick?)

I can see how some see it as too slick, but for me, the production/recording is impressive. You can hear everything so clearly and the music is equally impeccable..

Mirror Image

Steely Dan's Gaucho is fantastic. I don't give s*** what anyone says. Such a distinctive sound they had. Love their use of jazz mixed with pop rock.

Mirror Image

NP:

The Police: Synchronicity

From this set -

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 04, 2021, 01:09:41 PM
NP:

Kate Bush: Hounds Of Love (2018 Guthrie remaster)

Great album re the original.  No idea about the remaster.  Do you know the two well and if so, any comments?  And on what format are you listening to them?  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

George

Mirror Image

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 04, 2021, 05:35:53 PM
Great album re the original.  No idea about the remaster.  Do you know the two well and if so, any comments?  And on what format are you listening to them?  :)

PD

I own the original mastering and the remaster from James Guthrie (via the Kate Bush remastered box set). There's not a huge difference between the original and remaster. I like the remaster because some of the details from the original album that were kind of buried originally seem to have more clarity now. It's little details like this, but, honestly, the original sounds great, so I don't think it's worth the upgrade, but I'm kind of a Bush enthusiast or, at least, I was when I was collecting her music several years ago. I still like her music, but I don't listen to it much.

George

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

George

aligreto

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on October 09, 2021, 02:26:39 AM
Obviously riveting listening  :laugh:  :laugh:
Must admit, something along those lines also crossed my mind.  :D ;)

Which reminds me that I would do well to fix my morning coffee before proceeding further on this forum, least I forget what I've been reading--and typing!  :-[

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

George