Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LKB

Quote from: vandermolen on October 28, 2021, 10:30:56 PM
I went to the premiere of that film in London as a small boy.  0:)

I envy you that experience.  ;)

In 1964 l was a small boy in the US, so l had to settle for watching the film in a USAF theater full of adolescent girls... yuck!  :laugh:
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Karl Henning

Another album I hadn't listened to since I once owned it on vinyl. Dang! Forgot how tasty it is!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

aligreto

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 02, 2021, 11:19:27 AM
Another album I hadn't listened to since I once owned it on vinyl. Dang! Forgot how tasty it is!

I think that was his finest solo album simply because it was so consistently good throughout.

Karl Henning

Quote from: aligreto on November 03, 2021, 04:56:26 AM
I think that was his finest solo album simply because it was so consistently good throughout.

Inclined to agree, Fergus.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vers la flamme

Been jamming this album while driving today.

Soooo damn good. Name a better three-track opening to an album.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 02, 2021, 11:19:27 AM

Great music!
Jealous Guy was composed years earlier, around the time of white album.

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Karl Henning

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on November 03, 2021, 01:44:17 PM
Great music!
Jealous Guy was composed years earlier, around the time of white album.

Interesting. I knew that George, with his limited quota on Beatles albums, had accrued a backlog. It never occurred to me that John would ....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pohjolas Daughter

Kate Bush's "Director's Cut.  It's a reworking of some songs from the "Sensual World" and also some from "Red Shoes".  I had thought that it might just be reorchestrations of those songs but at least some of the songs also include updated lyrics (more contemporary and more of from an older person's view).  First run through here.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Daverz

Tommy February6: Sugar Me

https://www.youtube.com/v/hTTmYLMgyPU

Very catchy pop for those with a sweet-tooth.  For reasons I don't yet fathom, she seems to have a parallel alter-ego called Tommy Heavenly6, which is more sexy and "adult" with a more metal-oriented sound, in contrast to the "kawai" February6 incarnation.  She also was (is?) the singer for the group The Brilliant Green. 

Mirror Image

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 04, 2021, 12:43:10 PM
Kate Bush's "Director's Cut.  It's a reworking of some songs from the "Sensual World" and also some from "Red Shoes".  I had thought that it might just be reorchestrations of those songs but at least some of the songs also include updated lyrics (more contemporary and more of from an older person's view).  First run through here.

PD

I can't get into any Kate Bush post-The Sensual World and Director's Cut is no different sad to say. I wanted to like Aerial, but I found it difficult making it through the album. I thought "She's really lost her edge" and "The music isn't harmonically interesting any longer."

SimonNZ

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 05, 2021, 08:34:55 PM
I can't get into any Kate Bush post-The Sensual World and Director's Cut is no different sad to say. I wanted to like Aerial, but I found it difficult making it through the album. I thought "She's really lost her edge" and "The music isn't harmonically interesting any longer."

I'd broadly agree. There are plenty of tracks I like post Sensual World but loving the whole albums is harder. The exception might be 50 Words For Snow which I find is aging well whenever I occasionally return to it.

I might even listen to it again tonight to see if I'd still say that and why.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 05, 2021, 08:34:55 PM
I remember you saying that not long ago.  Are you a fan of her earlier Red Shoes album?  That's one that I recall having a hard time getting into at the time.

Quote from: SimonNZ on November 05, 2021, 10:13:45 PM
I'd broadly agree. There are plenty of tracks I like post Sensual World but loving the whole albums is harder. The exception might be 50 Words For Snow which I find is aging well whenever I occasionally return to it.

I haven't listened to that one yet.  With the weather getting cold here, seems like a good time to visit it.   :)

Had some fun yesterday checking out a couple of youtube videos.  Don't know why, but as a fan of the Game of Thrones series, I did a quick google and stumbled across a (to me anyway) very cool video sponsored by Fender---yes, though folks.  They, apparently, designed a special line of guitars inspired by the different families from GOT.  They recreated the theme to the series and had some very cool and surprising contributors to the concert with some amazing "shredding".   :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i0a7RDPkM8

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Latest listening:

The Eagles' Long Road Out of Eden, Disc 1.

This double-album has been growing on me.  I was lucky and found it for a buck.  Favorite songs in particular from Disc 1:  the opening "No More Walks in the Wood"...Wow!  Amazing unaccompanied opening harmonies.  No easy find trying to think of rock groups with those talents (and no auto tune pitch correct) these days.  Just blew me away.

Followed by more of a rocking song:  "How Long" (written by the very talented J.D. Souther) and then the song "Busy Being Fabulous".

Will put on Disc 2 in a bit.

By the way, not surprisingly, the recording sound quality of this album is just gorgeous; I wouldn't expect anything less from these guys.  8)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

George

The Smiths - Hatful of Hollow

Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique

George

SimonNZ

Quote from: SimonNZ on November 05, 2021, 10:13:45 PM

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 06, 2021, 05:12:36 AM

I haven't listened to that one yet.  With the weather getting cold here, seems like a good time to visit it.   :)

I played it again today and feel more certain than ever inrecpmending it.

A remarkable journey from darkness to light with a particularly successful understated jazzy backing.

The 13 minute "Misty" on it own is worth the price of purchase.

edit: attempting another listen of Ariel. I'd forgotten the second track was her reading out the numbers of pi to however many places. I hadn't forgotten that the third track is a gushing declaration of love for her song in the form of a cod Elizabethan lute song.

Karl Henning

Quote from: SimonNZ on November 06, 2021, 11:51:09 PM
edit: attempting another listen of Ariel. I'd forgotten the second track was her reading out the numbers of pi to however many places.

I'm apt to agree with Wm Carlos Williams, that anything is suitable material for poetry, but the need to make it good poetry remains.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 07, 2021, 03:45:02 AM
I'm apt to agree with Wm Carlos Williams, that anything is suitable material for poetry, but the need to make it good poetry remains.
;D

As I recall, I preferred the thematic nature and execution of the second CD much, but need to revisit it/them.  I wasn't keen on the song for Bertie, but that could also be due in part that I don't have children, so I suspect that I can't appreciate it as well as someone who is a parent.  The pi was sung in an interesting fashion I think.  Wonder how long it took her to memorize all of those numbers?  :-\

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 07, 2021, 04:09:15 AM
;D

As I recall, I preferred the thematic nature and execution of the second CD much, but need to revisit it/them.  I wasn't keen on the song for Bertie, but that could also be due in part that I don't have children, so I suspect that I can't appreciate it as well as someone who is a parent.  The pi was sung in an interesting fashion I think.  Wonder how long it took her to memorize all of those numbers?  :-\

PD

In its way, a feat, indeed.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA