Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: T. D. on November 20, 2021, 02:03:19 PM
Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings were rather well-known, many recordings: https://sharonjonesandthedapkings.com
Pretty good as far as I can tell, but I don't listen to R/B or rock all that often.
Sorry, I had missed your (this) posting 'til now.  Thanks for that link.  Wow, I've never heard a version of "This Land is Your Land" like this one before!  8)

Quote from: Brewski on November 29, 2021, 03:54:33 AM
Love Kate Bush! Though I used to listen to her a lot, I haven't heard anything from her in some time. Thanks for posting the news about Big Boi (whom I don't really know, but the collaboration sounds interesting).

And love Sharon Jones, too -- may she rest in peace (pancreatic cancer). Spent a few New Year's Eves in Washington, DC, with her and the Dap-Kings -- glorious all around.

Now starting the day with an Indonesian group new to me, Senyawa, recommended by a friend in Bali (actually from Brooklyn, but now "marooned" in Indonesia due to COVID). Anyway, Senyawa combines traditional Indonesian style with more experimental vocals. Not sure I'll be listening to them every day 8) but enjoying as a diversion from all the Sondheim over the weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FtBHDXA2u8

--Bruce
I bet that those New Year's Eves were pretty special!

Is your friend unable to return home due to US Covid travel restrictions?  :(  How long have they been there for?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

bhodges

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 29, 2021, 04:17:13 AM
Is your friend unable to return home due to US Covid travel restrictions?  :(  How long have they been there for?

PD

He's been in Bali pretty much since the beginning of the pandemic. My take: He went there and now kinda likes the lifestyle. Doesn't seem to be in any hurry to return! Has a lovely apartment, a cool little motorcycle to get around, and (recently vaxxed) can now travel a bit.

--Bruce

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brewski on November 29, 2021, 06:22:52 AM
He's been in Bali pretty much since the beginning of the pandemic. My take: He went there and now kinda likes the lifestyle. Doesn't seem to be in any hurry to return! Has a lovely apartment, a cool little motorcycle to get around, and (recently vaxxed) can now travel a bit.

--Bruce
Oooh!  Upper 70's today.  Nice!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Carlo Gesualdo

Hello Extract of my OF cabbages and Kings legend of Bluesy noise sludge, whit former SWANS menber , thee most intense and ferocious Bassit, Carolun Master and excellent Blues singer, the drummer so progressive  and hammering it's not punk rock it's better the birt of a Behemot of a band

That give us E.P The veils things,
Face LP quite good Face, The reign far out!!!

Seem I NEVER GET  ANNOY BY THEM!

greg

Getting the random cravings to listen to certain songs from my album I released a few months ago. Maybe it just has certain things expressed that I haven't heard in other music before, why I keep re-listening, idk....

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kapsfQ6kWlnqtJmMHzQ1H4UXI8qJPgkU0
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

bhodges

This morning from the Washington National Cathedral, a moving half hour honoring Matthew Shepard (1976-1998), on what would have been his 45th birthday. Some beautiful singing from Imani-Grace Cooper, with pianist Daryl L.A. Hunt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWQpnuQwZt0

--Bruce

steve ridgway

Currently on Zodiac, the last of 18 Ambient Collective albums from archive.org. Selling a Mauricio Kagel CD on Discogs to someone by the name of Olivier has reminded me it might be time to come round to classical again. ;)

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SimonNZ

followed by:

a not quite seamless trasition

aligreto

Quote from: SimonNZ on December 06, 2021, 02:58:56 PM

followed by:

a not quite seamless trasition

Yes, a bit of a contrast in music styles there! But, hey, if it works... :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

SimonNZ

Jerry Lee Lewis - Country Songs For City Folks (1965)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SimonNZ on December 08, 2021, 01:53:36 AM

Jerry Lee Lewis - Country Songs For City Folks (1965)
I love the title of that album!  :laugh:  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

fbjim

"Computer World" by Kraftwerk.

I know Kraftwerk have a reputation for being ahead of the curve but I'm still extremely impressed that they not only wrote a song about the internet in 1981, but perceptively started it with the lyrics "INTERPOL and Deutsche Bank/FBI, and Scotland Yard".

George

Quote from: fbjim on December 08, 2021, 08:02:15 AM
"Computer World" by Kraftwerk.

I know Kraftwerk have a reputation for being ahead of the curve but I'm still extremely impressed that they not only wrote a song about the internet in 1981, but perceptively started it with the lyrics "INTERPOL and Deutsche Bank/FBI, and Scotland Yard".

I always loved the remix of Tour de France, but didn't dig deeper until they recently got into the Hall of Fame. I downloaded their 4 most critically acclaimed albums but I couldn't get into them. Maybe it was bad timing. I should try again sometime.

fbjim

Quote from: George on December 08, 2021, 10:51:59 AM
I always loved the remix of Tour de France, but didn't dig deeper until they recently got into the Hall of Fame. I downloaded their 4 most critically acclaimed albums but I couldn't get into them. Maybe it was bad timing. I should try again sometime.

Computer World is their most synth-pop album if you liked Tour de France. I do like listening to their entire discography- the amount of artistic growth they showed is amazing. Not that their earlier works are bad, but they're so different.

George

Quote from: fbjim on December 08, 2021, 12:28:28 PM
Computer World is their most synth-pop album if you liked Tour de France. I do like listening to their entire discography- the amount of artistic growth they showed is amazing. Not that their earlier works are bad, but they're so different.

Thanks, I have that one and will try it again in the near future.

steve ridgway

Kraftwerk's first four albums, Tone Float by Organisation, Kraftwerk, Kraftwerk 2 and Ralf & Florian are very odd, like electroacoustic or musique concrete in places. The group however have "withdrawn" them so they're only available as unofficial releases. Kristallo off that last album is really good - it's like the pair of them came really close to inventing techno. 8)

fbjim

I never quite understood why the first four albums were disowned. It's not like the remainder don't show remarkable growth but for such a historically important group, it's very interesting to see their career from start to (effective) finish.

steve ridgway

I believe they wanted to project the image that they had only ever been robotic synth operators.