Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

CD 4:

Live at the Aragon Ballroom, Chicago, 16 Aug 1970
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

hat tip to Our Man in Chennai, a cracking album from 2021
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 09, 2022, 01:02:28 PM
hat tip to Our Man in Chennai, a cracking album from 2021

Same source, same vintage. Listened to this, too. Well off my beaten musical path, but thoroughly enjoyable.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aligreto

Electric Light Orchestra: Mr. Blue Sky The Very Best Of ELO

For those who do not know them, ELO were quite a unique sound in a particular point in time. If you are going to listen to these guys then crank up the volume on your system a tad for maximum enjoyment! The production and presentation levels of these songs are of the highest order which is a mark of the legacy of this band without  any doubt and something that they were noted for. These things are personal and every track on this compilation is excellent, really, but I particularly singled out "Telephone Line", "Living Thing", "Do Ya"  and the "10538 Overture". The perpetual drive and forward momentum of this music is a noticeable feature of this band's music making for me.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on January 10, 2022, 09:13:05 AM

For those who do not know them, ELO were quite a unique sound in a particular point in time. If you are going to listen to these guys then crank up the volume on your system a tad for maximum enjoyment! The production and presentation levels of these songs are of the highest order which is a mark of the legacy of this band without  any doubt and something that they were noted for. These things are personal and every track on this compilation is excellent, really, but I particularly singled out "Telephone Line", "Living Thing", "Do Ya"  and the "10538 Overture". The perpetual drive and forward momentum of this music is a noticeable feature of this band's music making for me.
Loved their "Out of the Blue" album!  :)  A personal favorite:  Mr. Blue Sky.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

foxandpeng

Winterfylleth
The Reckoning Dawn
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

George

Karl Henning

Quote from: aligreto on January 10, 2022, 09:13:05 AM

Always a fun band to revisit.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

George

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

T. D.

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 10, 2022, 11:24:25 AM
Always a fun band to revisit.
[ELO]
I really liked Eldorado back in the day, much more than their other albums.
But haven't listened in decades...ought to revisit!

aligreto

Quote from: T. D. on January 10, 2022, 08:29:30 PM
[ELO]
I really liked Eldorado back in the day, much more than their other albums.
But haven't listened in decades...ought to revisit!

A trip down Memory Lane.

aligreto

Another trip down memory lane, this time for me:

Carol King: Music

From this set:

The new erato

Streaming Heijira by Joni Mitchell and Scarlet's Walk by Tori Amos (a much underrated artist). Two superb albums.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: The new erato on January 15, 2022, 02:31:52 AM
Streaming Heijira by Joni Mitchell and Scarlet's Walk by Tori Amos (a much underrated artist). Two superb albums.
I haven't heard that album, but I do love a lot of her music.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

The new erato

Picked up this book: "Long Players: Writers on the Albums that Shaped Them" and a have a vague idea of listening to the 50 albums listed (streaming), though I suspect I won't like them all. I'm not sure it is a great book, but as a source of listening inspiration and ways into some albums I normally wouldn't consider, it may be vaulable.

To make it easy on myself, I'm easing into it by playing albums from two artists I love. Scarlet's Walk was new to me. Under the Pink is an all time favorite album I listen to frequently. I'm not very famailiar with Joni's later albums either, Blue being an eternal favorite.

aligreto

I am cross posting this album from the Jazz Thread in case some who visit here and do not visit there might be familiar with Chris Rea and may not be aware of this album.

Chris Rea: Hofner Blue Notes

I cannot say that I am familiar with the music of Chris Rea other than that now festive standard of his. However, I was given the opportunity to listen to this album with which I was very impressed. It is different, and, for those who like categorisations, a sort of cross over between jazz, blues and easy listening. I truly found it all to be really very interesting and engaging. The music making is really very good and the musicians create a wonderful atmosphere throughout the album. I do believe that this music warrants some attention, particularly in the relaxing/downtime mode. No vocals involved here.

George