Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 27, 2022, 03:12:30 AM
Will have to give it a clean up and see what kind of "treatment" I gave it when I was younger!  ::)

PD

Played to death, I would imagine  ;D

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on January 27, 2022, 05:40:10 AM
Played to death, I would imagine  ;D
Maybe loved to death?

But, seriously, I did give it a clean (after making the mistake of looking at it in good sunlight....gulp!  Cringe!) and despite my maltreatment of it, it does sound surprisingly good!  Some small clicks throughout but so far anyway (just finished Side 1), no skips, loud pops and very enjoyable to listen to...and I had some fun occasionally singing alone with it--no need to read the lyrics either.  ;)

Either hadn't realized (or had forgotten) how much JT also played on that album (acoustic guitar).  Beautiful tapestry of a house complete with a cow in the yard on the inside.  Looking at the credits on the back, I noticed "Tapestry Hand-Stitched by:  Carole King" [photos of her working on it inside the album].  ;D  I hope that she still has it!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

aligreto

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 27, 2022, 08:05:05 AM

Either hadn't realized (or had forgotten) how much JT also played on that album (acoustic guitar). 

PD

One of the reasons that it is so good  ;D
King and Taylor had a very good working relationship back then.

George

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Walls and Bridges, John Lennon.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on January 27, 2022, 09:24:02 AM
One of the reasons that it is so good  ;D
King and Taylor had a very good working relationship back then.
There was a special which PBS aired recently (I missed it alas; might be able to watch it online).  I believe that is was a combo of interviews and also a concert.  Looks like it's now on HBO>  https://www.caroleking.com/news/carole-king-and-james-taylor-documentary-just-call-out-my-name-coming-hbo-max

You might enjoy this:  https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/01/entertainment/carole-king-james-taylor-songs-backstory-film/index.html

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 28, 2022, 03:27:25 AM
There was a special which PBS aired recently (I missed it alas; might be able to watch it online).  I believe that is was a combo of interviews and also a concert.  Looks like it's now on HBO>  https://www.caroleking.com/news/carole-king-and-james-taylor-documentary-just-call-out-my-name-coming-hbo-max

You might enjoy this:  https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/01/entertainment/carole-king-james-taylor-songs-backstory-film/index.html

PD

Thank you for that PD.
I did watch a show recently which was a live gig in one of the venues that they played in back in the 1970s. It also featured Danny Kortchmar and Russ Kunkel. I think that one was on Netflix but I cannot honestly remember.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on January 28, 2022, 05:27:11 AM
Thank you for that PD.
I did watch a show recently which was a live gig in one of the venues that they played in back in the 1970s. It also featured Danny Kortchmar and Russ Kunkel. I think that one was on Netflix but I cannot honestly remember.
You''re welcome.

I suspect that it was at the Troubadour.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 28, 2022, 06:52:24 AM

I suspect that it was at the Troubadour.

PD

Yes, I believe that I hear the faint twinkling of a small bell there in a distant cerebral grey cell.  ;D
Either way, it was a wonderful performance from all concerned.  8)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on January 28, 2022, 07:32:01 AM
Yes, I believe that I hear the faint twinkling of a small bell there in a distant cerebral grey cell.  ;D
Either way, it was a wonderful performance from all concerned.  8)
You still have some of your grey cells?  Lucky you!  ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

aligreto

Bert Jansch: Jack Orion

This is a fine album which displays nice guitar work by Jansch. He is ably assisted on a number of tracks by John Renbourn. This combination produces an interesting sound with the fusion of their different styles.

KevinP

aligreto

Kate Bush: Hounds Of Love

Bush is a very definite talent and a unique voice. There are a number of very strong tracks on this album. On this occasion I am listening to the remastered version which includes bonus tracks. A stand out for me amongst those for me is Under The Ivy. Naturally, as an Irish person, I can naturally readily relate to Bush's personal connections to Ireland and the expression of that connection through elements in the Jig of Life and Hello Earth; also My Lagan Love on the remastered album. She definitely inherited an Irish gene or two.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on February 03, 2022, 10:33:02 AM
Kate Bush: Hounds Of Love

Bush is a very definite talent and a unique voice. There are a number of very strong tracks on this album. On this occasion I am listening to the remastered version which includes bonus tracks. A stand out for me amongst those for me is Under The Ivy. Naturally, as an Irish person, I can naturally readily relate to Bush's personal connections to Ireland and the expression of that connection through elements in the Jig of Life and Hello Earth; also My Lagan Love on the remastered album. She definitely inherited an Irish gene or two.

Love that album!  Which are the bonus tracks and what are they like?  Under The Ivy and My Lagan Love are certainly ones.  I just have the original CD version.  And what do you think of the differences in sound between the two albums?

Hope to listen to some music later on this evening; busy day here (made a big pot of soup between yesterday and today) and need to run some quick errands too before the weather gets bad.

Happy listening!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

George

Great piano playing here. Great singing of course, too.

aligreto

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 03, 2022, 11:05:29 AM

Love that album!  Which are the bonus tracks and what are they like?  Under The Ivy and My Lagan Love are certainly ones.  I just have the original CD version.  And what do you think of the differences in sound between the two albums?

Hope to listen to some music later on this evening; busy day here (made a big pot of soup between yesterday and today) and need to run some quick errands too before the weather gets bad.

Happy listening!

PD

I fear that my choice of words may have inadvertently misled you, PD. I actually own only the remastered version so I am not in a position to comment on any sound improvements or not, unfortunately.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on February 03, 2022, 02:03:10 PM
I fear that my choice of words may have inadvertently misled you, PD. I actually own only the remastered version so I am not in a position to comment on any sound improvements or not, unfortunately.
Ah!  O.k. then, I'll do some googling later.  :)

By the way, I also love her recording of Jig Of Life on it. 

Quote from: George on February 03, 2022, 12:33:56 PM

Great piano playing here. Great singing of course, too.

I don't know that specific album George, but I do love her singing and musicianship!  I have Nina Simone:  Released and Nina Simone at Newport, at the Village Gate -- and Elsewhere.

PD

Pohjolas Daughter