Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 04, 2022, 03:10:01 AM
Ah!  O.k. then, I'll do some googling later.  :)

By the way, I also love her recording of Jig Of Life on it. 

PD

Cheers, PD. It is a great track.

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

George

Every Saturday morning, my girlfriend picks three artists to listen to, often based on their birthday month, and I choose the albums. These are this weeks picks.

aligreto

Chris Rea: Dancing Down the Stony Road

I played this wonderful 2CD set over the past couple of days. It contains great songs, truly wonderful and heartfelt singing [with a most suitable voice] and playing.

Big hat tip to Olivier [Pappy Oli] for steering me in this direction.

Papy Oli

Quote from: aligreto on February 07, 2022, 05:55:16 AM
Chris Rea: Dancing Down the Stony Road

I played this wonderful 2CD set over the past couple of days. It contains great songs, truly wonderful and heartfelt singing [with a most suitable voice] and playing.

Big hat tip to Olivier [Papy Oli] for steering me in this direction.

Glad you liked it, Fergus. One of my personal top favourites indeed.
Olivier

Pohjolas Daughter

Steve Winwood's Arc of a Diver.  On LP (I cleaned it this morning.).  It was a Christmas present from a friend.  Really enjoying it (now about half-way through Side 2).  I knew two of the songs on it, but I'd never heard the whole LP before now.

And it cleaned up quite nicely!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on February 09, 2022, 05:04:03 AM
Dire Straits

A classic!  ;D

One of my favorites.  I'm continually amazed at how excellent her song writing and interpretation skills are..choice of other people's works and amazing collaborations.  and the sound is excellent too!  I can't recommend this album highly enough.

Emmylou HarrisRed Dirt Girl

A sample for you.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z56qqu7u2BU

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on February 09, 2022, 10:28:28 AM
Excellent, PD. You might like this live version if you do not already know it:

https://www.youtube.com/v/JE_sUN_M7p0
I did see at least one video uploaded with Mark Knopfler and almost linked to that; however, I thought that I would share the original album release with you instead.  Thanks though for that imbed--I did enjoy it!

And, most of all, I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed that song.  There are other gems on that album, but that's probably my favorite.  The poignancy of going from "...but one of these days I'm gonna swing my hammer down away from this red dirt town.  I'm gonna make a joyful sound."

To (at the end):  "Now the stars still fall on Alabama.  Tonight she finally laid that hammer down without a sound in the red dirt ground."

Can't believe that this album is now 22 years old either!

As an aside, I know that she and Mark Knopfler made at least one album together; it's on my Wish List.  :)

Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 09, 2022, 10:42:57 AM

And, most of all, I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed that song.  There are other gems on that album, but that's probably my favorite.  The poignancy of going from "...but one of these days I'm gonna swing my hammer down away from this red dirt town.  I'm gonna make a joyful sound."

To (at the end):  "Now the stars still fall on Alabama.  Tonight she finally laid that hammer down without a sound in the red dirt ground."

Yes, PD I thought that it was an excellent song, excellently delivered. It captured quite a lot; there is a whole world in there. To me, the utter futility and despair of it all was that the brother never got further than Viet Nam: I was standing there with her when she got the telegram. A whole life and world shattered right there!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on February 09, 2022, 11:45:44 AM
Yes, PD I thought that it was an excellent song, excellently delivered. It captured quite a lot; there is a whole world in there. To me, the utter futility and despair of it all was that the brother never got further than Viet Nam: I was standing there with her when she got the telegram. A whole life and world shattered right there!
Yes, Fergus.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

George

Cash Unearthed - 5CD box set

Found a copy of this in a used shop today and (despite the loud mastering) am really enjoying it!

LKB

Quote from: aligreto on February 09, 2022, 11:45:44 AM

There is a DVD called, " Down from the Mountain. It is essentially the record of a benefit concert held in Nashville back in 2000, given by many of the musicians who feature in the film O Brother, Where art Thou?

ELH participated, and at one point was filmed woodshedding on Red Dirt Girl in the green room while waiting to go on stage.  8)
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

SimonNZ

...and, jawdroppingly, cuts off that fine performance mid lyric to check on baseball scores.

LKB

Quote from: SimonNZ on February 10, 2022, 11:15:09 PM
...and, jawdroppingly, cuts off that fine performance mid lyric to check on baseball scores.

Addictions ( if you want to call it that ) inspire that sort of reflex. Anyway, there's an entire universe of compulsive behaviors worse than a need for baseball.

And she did get the album out, after all.  :D
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: LKB on February 10, 2022, 09:50:03 PM
There is a DVD called, " Down from the Mountain. It is essentially the record of a benefit concert held in Nashville back in 2000, given by many of the musicians who feature in the film O Brother, Where art Thou?

ELH participated, and at one point was filmed woodshedding on Red Dirt Girl in the green room while waiting to go on stage.  8)
Sounds like a good DVD!  I have the soundtrack to Oh, Brother; it's a good one!  Trying not to laugh now thinking of "The Soggy Bottom Boys"!  :D

Quote from: SimonNZ on February 10, 2022, 11:15:09 PM
Oh, noooo! lol

And I should add for Fergus' benefit as well as anyone else here who didn't know and might be interested, Emmylou Harris also wrote "Red Dirt Girl".  :)

PD

p.s.  Haven't listened to Wrecking Ball (the album) in a while; think that that will be part of my afternoon listening.
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Quote from: LKB on February 10, 2022, 09:50:03 PM

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 11, 2022, 03:47:02 AM

And I should add for Fergus' benefit as well as anyone else here who didn't know and might be interested, Emmylou Harris also wrote "Red Dirt Girl".  :)

PD

Thank you both.

I did not know that she had written the song, PD, but I somehow assumed that she did; so no surprise there.

SimonNZ

Wrote the whole album, in fact. At Daniel Lanois urging.

And it's a desert island disc.

I was also lucky enough to see her on the tour for the album, which was a great show.