George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

71 dB

Tabla Beat Science - Live in San Francisco at Stern Grove
Bhakta - Open Transmission
XL-Recordings: The Third Chapter - Breakbeat House
King Crimson - Red
King Crimson - Thrak
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Todd

Lana Del Rey covering Father John Misty's song Buddy's Rendezvous, followed by:

Father John Misty, I Love You Honeybear.  More good stuff.

Turns out I had heard Father John Misty once before.  He sang on one of the soundtrack songs to the first season of True Detective.  That and Ms Grant's cover hint at Father John Misty's style. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Todd

aligreto

Steely Dan: Aja

I know that some rate this album highly but, to be honest, I was quite indifferent to it. It is, undoubtedly, very well performed, but the individual tracks on this album were far too samey for me. There was not nearly enough variety of musical content for my liking. I felt that it was a variation on an original theme. I was just not engaged by it, unfortunately.

Todd

Father John Misty, God's Favorite Customer.  I've listened to all his releases under this pseudonym, so now I shall investigate his releases under his real name.

VonStupp

Neil Diamond
All-Time Greatest Hits, Deluxe

When the advent of cassette tapes and CD's came around, I sold all of my LP's, regrettably. My dad even installed an 8-track player in his car, although it often skipped, tangled, and dangerously heated up as we drove.

I replaced most of our popular music LP's with greatest hits collections, as I never felt I needed more for most of it. There are a few I haven't listened to, so I plan on visiting them over the next few weeks.

I am ribbed by most I know for enjoying Neil Diamond, but everything he sings shoots straight to my innermost soul (in a good way ;D). As a singer-songwriter, I appreciate the wealth of tunes, as well as the variety of instrumental backgrounds and musical styles across his songs, and Neil Diamond's singing seems genuinely invested at every moment.

This deluxe collection has more than enough from him without getting repetitive or inconsequential. I don't much care for Sweet Caroline anymore, as it has become a pervasive anthem, but I enjoy the great majority here aside from a few covers that have since done them better.

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

aligreto

Fleetwood Mac: The Dance [DVD]

What a fantastic show they gave! Excellent and totally committed performances from every member of the band and also from the support musicians.

aligreto

Quote from: VonStupp on June 23, 2022, 02:39:48 PM
Neil Diamond

When the advent of cassette tapes and CD's came around, I sold all of my LP's, regrettably. My dad even installed an 8-track player in his car, although it often skipped, tangled, and dangerously heated up as we drove.

I replaced most of our popular music LP's with greatest hits collections, as I never felt I needed more for most of it. There are a few I haven't listened to, so I plan on visiting them over the next few weeks.

I am ribbed by most I know for enjoying Neil Diamond, but everything he sings shoots straight to my innermost soul (in a good way ;D). As a singer-songwriter, I appreciate the wealth of tunes, as well as the variety of instrumental backgrounds and musical styles across his songs, and Neil Diamond's singing seems genuinely invested at every moment.

This deluxe collection has more than enough from him without getting repetitive or inconsequential. I don't much care for Sweet Caroline anymore, as it has become a pervasive anthem, but I enjoy the great majority here aside from a few covers that have since done them better.

VS

The quality of both Diamond's catalogue and performances stand the test of time for me.  :)

Papy Oli

Quote from: aligreto on June 22, 2022, 11:41:31 AM
Steely Dan: Aja

I know that some rate this album highly but, to be honest, I was quite indifferent to it. It is, undoubtedly, very well performed, but the individual tracks on this album were far too samey for me. There was not nearly enough variety of musical content for my liking. I felt that it was a variation on an original theme. I was just not engaged by it, unfortunately.

On the ignore list you go !  >:D :laugh:

A fair comment on the sameness, I like this album a fair bit but the mood has to be right to listen to it.

I think George is a big Steely Dan fan, he might able to recommend some other albums of theirs that might be in a different vein, if any.

Olivier

aligreto

Todd

Post Malone, Twelve Carat Toothache

George

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 24, 2022, 06:42:09 AM
On the ignore list you go !  >:D :laugh:

:D ;D :laugh:

QuoteA fair comment on the sameness, I like this album a fair bit but the mood has to be right to listen to it.

I think George is a big Steely Dan fan, he might able to recommend some other albums of theirs that might be in a different vein, if any.

My 2 favorite Steely Dan albums are Aja and Gaucho. If someone doesn't like Aja I would suggest starting at the beginning, as the 1st album is the one that is the least like Aja.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Todd

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Son House. Father Of The Delta Blues: The Complete 1965 Sessions.

KevinP

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on June 12, 2022, 06:56:57 PM
I must be one of the few musically-interested persons on the planet who never bought this album. The reason is simple: almost all the songs were played on FM radio so frequently that there was no need to buy it. I like the songs when I hear them, but over-exposure (and use in all kinds of contexts, such as Bill Clinton's presidential campaign) has dulled their appeal somewhat.

I never bought it either. The songs were indeed ubiquitous but also never really grabbed me. In more recent years I bought a compilation of theirs and if I'm being honest, I never spin it.

No hatred here, just a bit of apathy. 

KevinP

Quote from: VonStupp on June 23, 2022, 02:39:48 PM
Neil Diamond

Could not stand this guy when I was young. Easy listening schmaltz, and the radio station we listened to in the morning for school closings played it daily. And when he came up with that 'headed for the future and the future's now' song, replete with synthesiser effects, I laughed at how bad it was.

Last year, I bought this CD, the deluxe edition. I play it with some frequency.

(I'm surprised that a two-disc hits package doesn't include 'Headed for the Future', but I'm perfectly okay with that. Any about-face I did regarding Diamond probably wouldn't extend to that song.)

VonStupp

Quote from: KevinP on June 25, 2022, 03:34:40 PM
Could not stand this guy when I was young. Easy listening schmaltz, and the radio station we listened to in the morning for school closings played it daily. And when he came up with that 'headed for the future and the future's now' song, replete with synthesiser effects, I laughed at how bad it was.

Last year, I bought this CD, the deluxe edition. I play it with some frequency.

(I'm surprised that a two-disc hits package doesn't include 'Headed for the Future', but I'm perfectly okay with that. Any about-face I did regarding Diamond probably wouldn't extend to that song.)

My wife has especially been enjoying frequent playing of the deluxe as well. I see there is a 50th anniversary 3CD Greatest Hits collated by Diamond himself, but I don't think I will invest again.

Fun story. I don't know Headed for the Future at all. Giving it a quick listen, it sounds terrible!  :laugh:

I never saw his The Jazz Singer either, but it got scathing reviews. I think I will avoid both.   ;)

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."