Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DizzyD

T. Rex, "Ballrooms of Mars". Haven't heard that in ages.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

aligreto

Johnny Cash: Solitary Man

This album is essentially an album of covers. Cash wrote three and co-wrote one of the fourteen songs on the album. I really liked the tone of this album. Cash' voice has changed due to illness and the presentation of the various songs appear to have an introspective aspect to it. His version of "I Won't Back Down" is a song that I have admired since I first heard it; intonating his attitude of defiance. The title track, "Solitary Man", is also a very fine song which is given a very fine performance. I found the Mercy Seat" to be another powerful performance.

steve ridgway

Art Bears – The World As It Is Today. I'm in the mood for some discomfort listening. ;)

Todd

coffee

Quote from: aligreto on July 06, 2022, 08:20:00 AM
Johnny Cash: Solitary Man

This album is essentially an album of covers. Cash wrote three and co-wrote one of the fourteen songs on the album. I really liked the tone of this album. Cash' voice has changed due to illness and the presentation of the various songs appear to have an introspective aspect to it. His version of "I Won't Back Down" is a song that I have admired since I first heard it; intonating his attitude of defiance. The title track, "Solitary Man", is also a very fine song which is given a very fine performance. I found the Mercy Seat" to be another powerful performance.

"Mercy Seat" is amazing. The thing about Cash was that in a sense he could hardly sing, but it's amazing to hear his renditions of these songs and realize that he had some kind of vocal control that made him an amazing performer. Rick Rubin also deserves a lot of credit for finding songs and arrangements that really showed off what Cash could do in his old age.

Liberty for the wolf is death for the lamb.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Smile - It's El Gran Combo, El Gran Combo.

SimonNZ

coffee

Liberty for the wolf is death for the lamb.

aligreto

Quote from: coffee on July 09, 2022, 03:54:00 AM
"Mercy Seat" is amazing. The thing about Cash was that in a sense he could hardly sing, but it's amazing to hear his renditions of these songs and realize that he had some kind of vocal control that made him an amazing performer. Rick Rubin also deserves a lot of credit for finding songs and arrangements that really showed off what Cash could do in his old age.

I must admit that years ago I would not have listened to this music. However, now I appreciate what Cash brings to the table.

Todd

aligreto

Lou Reed: Live in Italy

I was never convinced by Lou Reed. This album did nothing to convince me otherwise. The accompanying band is really very solid but his own personal performances leave quite a lot to be desired. The band is very upbeat and rocking in these performances but Reed himself is quite dead pan with a distinct lack of energy and drive in a live situation. The exception is "Betrayed" where his performance is better than the average here. I also particularly like "White Light-White Heat". His version here of "Walk On The Wild Side" was reasonably faithful to the original version even if it was taken at quite a pace! I am sure that Reed fans may well really like this album. It is not for me, however.

SimonNZ

Quote from: aligreto on July 12, 2022, 11:12:32 AM
Lou Reed: Live in Italy

I was never convinced by Lou Reed. This album did nothing to convince me otherwise.

Have you heard the 1989 New York album? I was bowled over by that one when it came out and still largely am.

A few years later someone played me the 1973 Berlin, which had much the same effect.

I'll concede that many of his other albums can be at best hit and miss. He should name more albums after cities, I guess.

I think now I might try and play New York again later today.

San Antone

Re: Lou Reed

A person either gets him or not.

As mentioned New York is excellent.

Other albums I think highly of

Transformer
The Blue Mask
New Sensation
Songs for Drella
The Raven

IMO he is among a handful of great Rock lyricists, and his song craft is perfectly fitted to his words. 

SimonNZ

I really like Songs For Drella, but it seems to be a tough recommendation for others, I've found.

Transformer for me sounds like great a-side singles and filler b-sides.

Imo everyone should at least once in their life hear the one-of -a-kind fuck-you-to-the-audience live album Take No Prisoners

for any who haven't heard it, here is the TNP 17-minute "Walk On The Wild Side":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF2slFeD1mE

KevinP

This cult gem from 1970.

The first time I heard him (this album) was an interesting clashing of 'WTF is this??' and 'I like this!'

He first recorded in 1954 (as Little Jerry), created the Swamp Dogg identity in 1970, and is still recording.

He's quite a maverick. I once bought a new CD of his and when I opened it, there was an old US dollar bill. (According to Amazon reviewers, it wasn't just mine.) That's very much his style.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

KevinP

Quote from: KevinP on July 12, 2022, 02:27:08 PM
This cult gem from 1970.

The first time I heard him (this album) was an interesting clashing of 'WTF is this??' and 'I like this!'

He first recorded in 1954 (as Little Jerry), created the Swamp Dogg identity in 1970, and is still recording.

He's quite a maverick. I once bought a new CD of his and when I opened it, there was an old US dollar bill. (According to Amazon reviewers, it wasn't just mine.) That's very much his style.

Turns out that today is his 80th birthday.

aligreto

Quote from: San Antone on July 12, 2022, 11:57:51 AM
Re: Lou Reed

A person either gets him or not.

Yes, I understand that. I do not rule out any appreciation sometime in the future as I have changed my mind, over time, with regarding two or three artists.

QuoteAs mentioned New York is excellent.

Other albums I think highly of

Transformer
The Blue Mask
New Sensation
Songs for Drella
The Raven

IMO he is among a handful of great Rock lyricists, and his song craft is perfectly fitted to his words.

Thank you for the recommendations.