Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: SimonNZ on January 27, 2023, 02:48:14 PMYes, seen both. Angel heart is a film I like very much, and now that you've mentioned it would like to see again. Great noirish atmosphere and sense of otherness. Great soundtrack (and clever and subtle incorporation of dialogue on the soundtrack album within the music).

Live and Let Die I havent seen since I was a teenager, and would hesitate to watch again now. I did enjoy the guys at the Kill James Bond podcast mercilessly pulling it apart and giving it the worst score of all the Bond films acording to their criteria (Smarm, Cultural insensitivity, Unprovoked violence, Misogyny).

Have you seen the TV show Treme?

I haven't seen the show, and will look for it. I have been at Treme all the time around 1997-2007.

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

drogulus

David Crosby wrote Wooden Ships with Paul Kantner. Crosby did a famous version with CSN. Kantner did a killer version with the Jefferson Airplane.

The key is the spontaneous sounding harmonizing, quite unlike CSN. The other element is Jorma's evil insect guitar and Jack's bass of doom. It actually sounds like the end of the world.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

George

SimonNZ

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on January 28, 2023, 06:48:10 AMI haven't seen the show, and will look for it. I have been at Treme all the time around 1997-2007.

I'll be very interested to hear what you make of it.

Were you in New Orleans at the time of Katrina?

SimonNZ

George

Quote from: SimonNZ on January 28, 2023, 04:51:18 PMFirst thoughts?

I have not heard more than a dozen or so tracks, but:

It's mastered loud, CD 5 was already released, ugly artwork, but some stunning stuff on the first three discs.

George

Listening to the album, not the commentary, I just liked the image.

SimonNZ

Patti Smith with Tom Verlaine

RIP TV

(only now do I wonder if those initials were why his band had the name Television

Mookalafalas

Quote from: George on January 28, 2023, 06:51:17 AM

Just snagged a copy of this after seeing some good reviews. Actually, I'd somehow missed Time Out of Mind. Got that and listened today, for homework, I guess. Was a huge BD fan, but for me he's been pretty hit-and-miss the last 40 years or so...
It's all good...

KevinP

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on January 28, 2023, 06:48:10 AMI haven't seen the show, and will look for it. I have been at Treme all the time around 1997-2007.

Treme is a great show. Was just thinking I should give it a second viewing.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: SimonNZ on January 28, 2023, 04:50:36 PMI'll be very interested to hear what you make of it.

Were you in New Orleans at the time of Katrina?

I thought that it was a typical poor, rough neighborhood. There's nothing fancy while there are some cheap sandwich shops.
I was an undergrad student in Lafayette LA (Cajun area) 1994-6, grad student in NEw Orleans 97-2002, and professor in a town 1 hour from New Orleans 2003-7. During Katrina, I was without power for a week and it was so hot and painful.

Runaway Jury, and Tightrope are the movies based on New Orleans too, but the location is not very significant in the movies.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Taraf de Haïdouk - Turcoaicà angali.

Karl Henning

Quote from: George on January 18, 2023, 12:38:14 AMSteve Miller Band - Book of dreams
David Bowie - Let's Dance
Supertramp - Breakfast in america
Rush - Moving pictures
I've really enjoyed revisiting Book of Dreams. I once felt that it was less good than its predecessor, but I am no longer of that opinion.

TD:

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Papy Oli

Planxty - The Woman I Loved So Well

Olivier

Mookalafalas

Found a thing on spotify: Before Bob Dylan: 100 Recordings Drawn from the Folk, Blues, country, rock and roll traditions which would... (etc. etc.).
    gobsmacked.
It's all good...

Todd

Trying a new to me member of the Albanian invasion.  She's no Dua Lipa.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

aligreto

Babatunde Olatunji: Love Drum Talk

This album is all about the infectious rhythms of African music. The lyrics of the songs leave a lot to be desired but it is not about that. The vocals and harmonies also lend to the atmosphere on the album.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: SimonNZ on January 28, 2023, 11:06:02 PMPatti Smith with Tom Verlaine

RIP TV

(only now do I wonder if those initials were why his band had the name Television

Excellent band. The relationship bet two guitars reminds me of the Rolling Stones, but with a nice space.