Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Quote from: George on January 28, 2023, 06:51:17 AM

Argh, darn it. I just grabbed the 2cd version of this without even looking at it, thinking that it would be the two discs of outtakes from the 5cd set. I should know better by now. Only the second disc is outtakes. The first is just the "remastered" Time Out Of Mind album with the Lanois reverb etc dialed down, which I neither need nor want.

George

Quote from: SimonNZ on February 02, 2023, 06:47:39 PMArgh, darn it. I just grabbed the 2cd version of this without even looking at it, thinking that it would be the two discs of outtakes from the 5cd set. I should know better by now. Only the second disc is outtakes. The first is just the "remastered" Time Out Of Mind album with the Lanois reverb etc dialed down, which I neither need nor want.

The good news is they lowered the price on amazon considerably, so you can now get the 5CD set for only $74.52, which is almost half off the original price.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BKR6V1ZV/?coliid=I1488ZW5BXZ82Z&colid=T8TAKNFO1GQ5&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it#customerReviews
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Papy Oli

Continuing Planxty's discography in reverse chronological order - After the Break

Olivier

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on February 03, 2023, 01:48:29 AMContinuing Planxty's discography in reverse chronological order - After the Break

The Planxty concert which I attended where I took some sneaky photos and spoke to you about recently was the one to relaunch the group and to promote that album. You will notice that standing on Donal Lunny's left hand side is a traditional Irish flute player. His name is Matt Molloy and his presence in the band was a big surprise as it was not just the original Big Four.

Papy Oli

Quote from: aligreto on February 03, 2023, 01:56:43 AMThe Planxty concert which I attended where I took some sneaky photos and spoke to you about recently was the one to relaunch the group and to promote that album. You will notice that standing on Donal Lunny's left hand side is a traditional Irish flute player. His name is Matt Molloy and his presence in the band was a big surprise as it was not just the original Big Four.

Hi Fergus,
Thank you for that little factoid. Very enjoyable album so far. There would be some even stronger foot-tapping on my part if it weren't for the downstairs neighbour being in today.  8)
Olivier

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on February 03, 2023, 02:21:51 AMHi Fergus,
Thank you for that little factoid. Very enjoyable album so far. There would be some even stronger foot-tapping on my part if it weren't for the downstairs neighbour being in today.  8)

A good album that, Olivier  ;)

71 dB

JONNY L - 27 HOURS A DAY

Contains the drum 'n' bass banger "Lets roll" that samples George W. Bush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DktkXEfEWh8
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

drogulus

Not long after this was recorded there was a revolt in the band against Phil Lesh and his radical art project approach. When they started releasing their country tinged folky rocky albums their popularity exploded. I like this era best.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

aligreto

Bowie: Hours

This is a good album. It has a signature sound throughout which I like. The musicians play well and it is also well produced. I also like the overall tone of the album.

SimonNZ

SimonNZ

Perfect background-while-reading music. Which may be damning with faint praise.

Papy Oli

Planxty - Cold Blow and the Rainy Night.

Olivier

brewski

Found on a fun Twitter account called Threatening Music Notation, the score to Senbonzakura by White Flame(Kurousa-P), arranged for piano solo. You can hear it here.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

aligreto

Kate Bush: The Kick Inside

What a wonderful, and indeed precocious album!

SimonNZ

Quote from: aligreto on February 05, 2023, 03:24:25 AMKate Bush: The Kick Inside

What a wonderful, and indeed precocious album!

A desert island disc. Doesn't matter how many times I've heard it it's never tired.

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

brewski

Watching the Grammys and enjoying the show much more than usual, with Trevor Noah having a blast as the host. Yes, I wish the classical awards got the same primetime spotlight (they were awarded earlier in the day), but the energy level tonight is high, and I like many of those nominated this year.

-Bruce

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: brewski on February 05, 2023, 05:29:26 PMWatching the Grammys and enjoying the show much more than usual, with Trevor Noah having a blast as the host. Yes, I wish the classical awards got the same primetime spotlight (they were awarded earlier in the day), but the energy level tonight is high, and I like many of those nominated this year.

-Bruce
I caught some of it (came in towards the end alas) and have been watching some clips from it on youtube...trying to find a complete performance of Songbird/McVie tribute.  Enjoyed watching Bad Bunny perform (wish that I spoke Spanish); I had heard of the artist before but never heard any of his music.

Which performances did you enjoy Bruce?

By the way, I was delighted to find out that Bonnie Raitt received a Grammy for best song.  Apparently, she also received two others that night too.  As an aside, am I the only one having a hard time keeping up with all of the genres/categories that are out there these days?  :-[

And Beyoncé has now received more Grammys than Sir Georg Solti!  Wow!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Quote from: SimonNZ on February 05, 2023, 04:37:47 PMA desert island disc. Doesn't matter how many times I've heard it it's never tired.

Yes, a terrific album and one which, as you indicate, has stood the test of time very well.

brewski

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 06, 2023, 02:34:58 AMI caught some of it (came in towards the end alas) and have been watching some clips from it on youtube...trying to find a complete performance of Songbird/McVie tribute.  Enjoyed watching Bad Bunny perform (wish that I spoke Spanish); I had heard of the artist before but never heard any of his music.

Which performances did you enjoy Bruce?

By the way, I was delighted to find out that Bonnie Raitt received a Grammy for best song.  Apparently, she also received two others that night too.  As an aside, am I the only one having a hard time keeping up with all of the genres/categories that are out there these days?  :-[

And Beyoncé has now received more Grammys than Sir Georg Solti!  Wow!

PD

I also liked Bad Bunny! Knew the name, but not the music, and liked the staging with the giant puppet heads. Favorites were maybe Smokey Robinson and Stevie Wonder in "Tears of a Clown," and Lizzo , with her huge chorus. She also had some good remarks later in the evening, among some very positive, inclusive acceptance speeches during the night.

And yes, Bonnie Raitt, who looked so startled that she had won—especially given the other nominees. I was also really happy to see Samara Joy win Best New Artist. Just discovered her recently—a young jazz vocalist in the tradition of Sarah Vaughan—with a fantastic voice and likely a long career ahead.

I don't always watch the show—and of course, wish they included the classical and jazz awards in primetime—but alas, that's the state of "big music business" these days, and classical (especially) is not on the radar of most listeners. But much more to enjoy this time.

-Bruce