Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Irvin Mayfield - live performance at his jazz club in the Royal Sonesta Hotel on Bourbon Street in New Orleans - after dinner tonight we wandered into this hotel jazz place and this performer w/ his band was appearing (a Grammy winner & other awards - Wiki Article HERE - no cover charge, just drinks - stayed for the whole show!  The group was just wonderful - Mayfield on the trumpet w/ trombone, piano, bass, & drums - all performers excellent - he has released about 10 CDs - I own none but would be curious if others may know him?  Thanks -  :D

Franco

Agree with your list, although Billy Cobham has never interested me as much as the others.

Ed Blackwell
Billy Higgins

Both played with Ornette Coleman and were understated but excellent drummers.

Paul Motian (especially with Bill Evans)
Roy Haynes (amazing he's 80 and still going strong)

Two more great drummers.

Franco

Quote from: James on March 18, 2010, 09:24:57 AM
Cobham is one of the main ones, a great drummer ..a freak of nature ... check out his work in Mahavishnu Orchestra and his solo album Spectrum, revolutionary - he cast a very large shadow over modern drumming ...

Oh I am well familiar with his playing, I owned all of the Mahavishnu Orchestra LPs from when they first came out, and heard most of his his own groups, and much of his work with others - I recognize his obvious talent and technical ability. 

But, his style is not what I prefer over a more nuanced kind of playing. 

Plus, aside from Weather Report and early Return to Forever, I am not a huge fan of fusion jazz in general.  For example, I much prefer Tony Williams with '65-'68 Miles Quintet than his own group, Lifetime.

Franco

Quote from: James on March 18, 2010, 09:42:27 AM
His playing is very nuanced ... keep listening.

Pass; I don't need to listen to Billy Cobham anymore - there's too much else out there that I either enjoy more or have not yet heard. 

His legacy is securely intact without needing my involvment.

Franco

Quote from: James on March 18, 2010, 10:05:38 AM
Absolutely. I was just trying to set you straight, probably just another brain fart on your part (hey it happens!)... but he's a monster with a very advanced, dynamic and nuanced approach...anyone with ears can hear that.

I've noticed  that you often feel the need to suggest that when someone does not share your opinion it is due to their ignorance or failure to adequately appreciate one of your champions.

There are times when two well-informed and discerning people simply don't share an opinion.  Hey, it happens, and when it does it is usually best to agree to disagree.

bhodges

Quote from: SonicMan on March 17, 2010, 07:30:03 PM
Irvin Mayfield - live performance at his jazz club in the Royal Sonesta Hotel on Bourbon Street in New Orleans - after dinner tonight we wandered into this hotel jazz place and this performer w/ his band was appearing (a Grammy winner & other awards - Wiki Article HERE - no cover charge, just drinks - stayed for the whole show!  The group was just wonderful - Mayfield on the trumpet w/ trombone, piano, bass, & drums - all performers excellent - he has released about 10 CDs - I own none but would be curious if others may know him?  Thanks -  :D

Mayfield is terrific.  (And I got to chat with him briefly last year, also at the Sonesta!)  A few years ago we had an incredible experience in New Orleans, at the top of the World Trade Center there, where Mayfield had opened up a new club (not sure it's still open, alas).  The stage was in front of a wall of glass overlooking downtown.  Mayfield did a "trumpet-off," taking turns with fellow trumpeter Kermit Ruffins that was just sensational.

--Bruce

karlhenning

Quote from: Franco on March 18, 2010, 09:52:01 AM
His legacy is securely intact without needing my involvment.

There is great freedom in twigging that.

karlhenning

Quote from: Franco on March 18, 2010, 10:25:24 AM
I've noticed  that you often feel the need to suggest that when someone does not share your opinion it is due to their ignorance or failure to adequately appreciate one of your champions.

Yes, witness that classic Jamesism:

QuoteHis playing is very nuanced ... keep listening.

karlhenning

Kaiser

Re: jazz drummers.......I have quite a fondness for Tony Williams myself. His ability to push/pull the pulse in any given performance is fascinating. I also rate Billy Cobham very highly. His style was certainly influenced by his "drum corps" training, but I've heard him play in a restrained and sympathetic way also. I have a Mose Allison record he played on from the early 70's that shows a real sensitivity to the music and is not characteristic of his "fusion-y" style at all. One of my favorite un-sung jazz drumming heroes would be Grady Tate. That guy was a class act all the way. Connie Kay too. Really beautiful, thoughtful playing from both of those drummers.
-------- Chris
"Music is organized sound" - Edgard Varese

Kaiser

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 18, 2010, 10:58:01 AM
Thread duty: Apostrophe (')

The crux of the biscuit, indeed!  ;D
-------- Chris

George

First spin and thus far, I am enjoying it.

Harpo

Quote from: bhodges on March 18, 2010, 10:31:13 AM
Mayfield is terrific.  (And I got to chat with him briefly last year, also at the Sonesta!)

We were very impressed with Mayfield and all he's accomplished to promote American jazz, at the age of only 31. His "Playhouse" at the Royal Sonesta is a very welcome respite from the beer-soaked parade down Bourbon Street (which could be renamed Beer Street?). His New Orleans Jazz Orchestra just won a Grammy for best large jazz ensemble, and several of the artists we heard were on that album.

We went back on Thurs. to see an excellent lady singer, Johnaye Kendrick, who, along with her bass player, sang on the Grammy album (Book One).. I, an infrequent drinker, had a really good cocktail, too: pineapple mojito--fresh pineapple, mint, lime,champagne and rum. 
If music be the food of love, hold the mayo.

George

Kaiser

And I'm listening to this stone cold sober too! Still a great record any way you cut it..........

George

Quote from: Kaiser on March 19, 2010, 06:11:54 PM
And I'm listening to this stone cold sober too! Still a great record any way you cut it..........

In case you didn't know...

SonicMan46

Another pleasant & outstanding post-dinner music encounter in New Orleans last night - went to the lounge in the Ritz-Carlton Hotel where Jeremy Davenport was performing w/ a trio (piano, bass, drums, and him on the trumpet) - he also sings (in a voice similar to Bobby Darin) - did mostly standards w/ of course plenty of jazz encores from all the band members - three nights of excellent music and all at 'hotel' venues - can't beat the amount of talent in this town!  :D

Harpo

Quote from: SonicMan on March 20, 2010, 07:07:18 AM
Another pleasant & outstanding post-dinner music encounter in New Orleans last night - went to the lounge in the Ritz-Carlton Hotel where Jeremy Davenport was performing w/ a trio (piano, bass, drums, and him on the trumpet) - he also sings (in a voice similar to Bobby Darin) - did mostly standards w/ of course plenty of jazz encores from all the band members - three nights of excellent music and all at 'hotel' venues - can't beat the amount of talent in this town!  :D

I agree that the music has all been great. Even our hotel bar pianist has toured internationally with Harry Connick jr. In fact, many of the musicians we heard have college degrees in jazz and have been affiliated with the Marsalis family and Harry Connick Jr. Irvin Mayfield's jazz orchestra just won a Grammy. However, we have never encountered so many drunken "revelers"--sometimes six deep at the bar, even at the Ritz Carlton. Sort of like a college frat party multiplied by 1,000,000.  Are they having fun yet??
If music be the food of love, hold the mayo.