Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary Wanderer

'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Solitary Wanderer

'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

George

bhodges

Hexnut: (self-titled debut CD, Karnatic Lab Records).  This group is based in Amsterdam, and I loved their live performance a few weeks ago at the MATA Festival.  How to classify them?  They bill themselves as a sort of hybrid of "classical, jazz, metal and improv," and as weird as it sounds, it works surprisingly well.  The five musicians are really, really excellent, headed by Ned McGowan, a marvelous flutist.  Right now: "Wood Burn," that sounds like Bach and Andriessen carousing with a jazz band, swirled with a bit of sheer noise.

--Bruce

Scriptavolant

Some nice Penderecki here, especially "Utrenja (ewangelia)"..chilling. Every time the percussive sequence starts, I feel the need to watch my back.

And the Wendy Carlos stuff as well is ok.

rubio

I just love this record. It's totally addictive if you like acoustic guitar. I saw them live in Sheffield last year, and it was one of the best concerts I have attended lately. This duo is really charming on stage, and the crowd were just crazy about them. The woman plays flamenco style, while the man plays ordinary acoustic guitar, and they knock the guitar in order to add the percussive element. Awesome!

"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Bogey

Various tracks from the Hot Fives and Sevens (JSP Records) .

EDIT: Though I am an Orioles/Rockies fan, I could not resist tuning in the Yankees/Red Sox game....there will be time for Satch later. ;D
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

Quote from: Bill on April 22, 2007, 04:52:36 PM

EDIT: Though I am an Orioles/Rockies fan, I could not resist tuning in the Yankees/Red Sox game....there will be time for Satch later. ;D

Thanks for the reminder... :D

rubio

"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Solitary Wanderer

Bogey

Quote from: Robert on April 23, 2007, 08:31:12 PM
What do you think Bill??? WHOA.....

A great transition album to the Wayne Shorter run....absolutely worth havng on the shelf so long as you have a "decent" amount of Miles already....which we know you do ;D.  Hancock's playing is out of this world on this one IMO.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Quote from: George on April 24, 2007, 05:19:53 PM

Well, I just felt 11 years old again.  What a memory lane this just brought on George.

George

Quote from: Bill on April 24, 2007, 05:38:15 PM
Well, I just felt 11 years old again.  What a memory lane this just brought on George.

:)

I recommend cranking it up to 11!  8)

Daverz

Recent Lp purchases (though the pics are CD covers):

bhodges

Man, I thought I was the only person on this whole board who likes Robyn Hitchcock.  Love The Selecter as well...

--Bruce