Eurovision

Started by vandermolen, May 14, 2017, 12:12:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

My daughter is in Kyiv so I thought I'd watch it through. Rather enjoyed the show. Delighted that UK didn't come last with 'nul points' and good for Portugal for winning for the first time. Very loyal of Australia to give the UK 12 points. I liked the yodelling song from Romania, the French and Danish entries although I was surprised that Italy didn't win with their very catchy song - maybe the dancing gorilla wasn't a good idea. Delighted that Brexit doesn't mean that we are thrown out of Eurovision as well.
Am sure you were all watching.
8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Spineur

Ridicule ?

vandermolen

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on May 14, 2017, 12:37:41 AM
Anything crazy this year?

Winny Puhh , from several years back have stuck with me. I still love them, great, hilarious and absurd band!  8)
Thanks for reply. Thought this could be a 'nul points' thread. The yodelling Romanian entry is worth watching.

https://youtu.be/TtJw_CLQCUw
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Que

Turner

Hope your daughter enjoyed Kiev, Ukraine is actually worth it as a travel destination in many ways.

vandermolen

Quote from: Turner on May 14, 2017, 04:30:10 AM
Hope your daughter enjoyed Kiev, Ukraine is actually worth it as a travel destination in many ways.
Thank you! She is working there for nine months for Medecins sans Frontieres.
We are going to Kyiv to see her in a fortnight's time. Just me, my wife and my 85 year old mother-in-law. Should be an adventure. I'm really looking forward to seeing Kyiv for myself.

Turner

Quote from: vandermolen on May 14, 2017, 04:49:15 AM
Thank you! She is working there for nine months for Medecins sans Frontieres.
We are going to Kyiv to see her in a fortnight's time. Just me, my wife and my 85 year old mother-in-law. Should be an adventure. I'm really looking forward to seeing Kyiv for myself.

Interesting, there are some museum sights as regards classical music too, though with a very local touch. When I was there, the outdoor cafe inside the big Lavra was lovely and unpretentious, one of many nice memories. Have a good trip!

vandermolen

Quote from: Turner on May 14, 2017, 05:26:15 AM
Interesting, there are some museum sights as regards classical music too, though with a very local touch. When I was there, the outdoor cafe inside the big Lavra was lovely and unpretentious, one of many nice memories. Have a good trip!
Thank you again! I'm making a note of the cafe as my wife and mother in law constantly need to drink coffee. My daughter is booking tickets for the ballet and I'm looking at the classical concerts too.

vandermolen

Quote from: Que on May 14, 2017, 02:53:31 AM
Brits want to quit Eurovision: poll.

I think no comment is necessary.....

Q

love the idea that the UK entry should really have been titled 'Never give up on EU' as it was clearly a thinly-disguised  love letter to our erstwhile European partners.

vandermolen

Before this thread disappears I thought I'd post this charming article. The Italian entry Occidentale's Karma sung by Francesco Gabbani, which I think should have won - it is certainly a very catchy song, mentions the book 'The Naked Ape' by the zoologist/anthropologist Desmond Morris, whom I remember presenting TV programmes like 'Zoo Time' when I was a child. I assumed that Desmond Morris must have died years ago but not only is he alive and well at 89 but he is also a fan of the song - and the singer Francesco Gabbani, who dances with a gorilla during the song, visited Desmond Morris in Oxford earlier this year and wrote a charming Facebook posting about it:

http://wiwibloggs.com/2017/04/03/francesco-gabbani-meets-desmond-morris-the-zoologist-who-inspired-occidentalis-karma/184953/

And here's the song:

https://youtu.be/xmpc3fcrNJQ

Hollywood

I watched it, usually just to see how Austria does. I also liked the Romanian yodel song which I thought was not very Roamnian-like but more likely a song better suited coming from Austria, Switzerland or Germany.

I was also keeping my best friend back in Los Angeles up to date with the contest live via SMS. Unforztunately Austria ended up in 16th place (last year was 13th). Being half spanish I was really feeling bad for Spain who remained in last place throughout the contest. This year it was interesting to see how many countries, especially from eastern Europe, were singing in english. Back when the Eurovision Song Contest started (and for many years to come) everyone was singing in their native languages. The last holdout that you could always count on singing in their native language was France but this time their entry was in french and english. I almost fell off the sofa when I heard english in their song. Vive la différence!  8)
"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

Jo498

I never cared for the ESC but I think it really lost the little point it had when almost everyone started singing in English.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

vandermolen

Quote from: Hollywood on May 16, 2017, 10:55:45 PM
I watched it, usually just to see how Austria does. I also liked the Romanian yodel song which I thought was not very Roamnian-like but more likely a song better suited coming from Austria, Switzerland or Germany.

I was also keeping my best friend back in Los Angeles up to date with the contest live via SMS. Unforztunately Austria ended up in 16th place (last year was 13th). Being half spanish I was really feeling bad for Spain who remained in last place throughout the contest. This year it was interesting to see how many countries, especially from eastern Europe, were singing in english. Back when the Eurovision Song Contest started (and for many years to come) everyone was singing in their native languages. The last holdout that you could always count on singing in their native language was France but this time their entry was in french and english. I almost fell off the sofa when I heard english in their song. Vive la différence!  8)
I rather liked the Austrian song which was early on in the show. I think that it's nice too if the artists sing in their own language, like Francesco Gabbani in the very catchy 'Occidentale's Karma' although he does, at one point, sing 'Singing in the rain' in English.

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on May 14, 2017, 12:12:20 AMDelighted that Brexit doesn't mean that we are thrown out of Eurovision as well.
Good idea, let's ask UEFA too. :-)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Another disastrous year for the UK entry (26/26)
However, I'm sure that our Dutch Havergal Brian admirers will have been celebrating the Netherland's victory this year.
8)

DaveF

Quote from: vandermolen on May 20, 2019, 12:28:56 PM
Another disastrous year for the UK entry (26/26)
However, I'm sure that our Dutch Havergal Brian admirers will have been celebrating the Netherland's victory this year.
8)

Breaking news: Thanks to an incorrect application of the Duckworth/Lewis scoring system, combined with one judge forgetting that travelling anticlockwise from Clapham North to Mornington Crescent violates the rules of Słobodanski's Third Amendment, we're even more firmly in last position than we thought we were.

And your Brian comment led me to wonder whether the Dutch entry had perhaps been a cover version of The Defiled Sanctuary.  Sadly not.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Papy Oli

Quote from: DaveF on May 23, 2019, 01:13:50 AM
Breaking news: Thanks to an incorrect application of the Duckworth/Lewis scoring system, combined with one judge forgetting that travelling anticlockwise from Clapham North to Mornington Crescent violates the rules of Słobodanski's Third Amendment, we're even more firmly in last position than we thought we were.

Spiffing post, Old chap... there I sit guffawing at the mentions of Duckworth/Lewis and Mornington Crescent...

I say, I AM now properly British ...merde alors...  :laugh:   8)

Olivier

Sef

Quote from: DaveF on May 23, 2019, 01:13:50 AM

And your Brian comment led me to wonder whether the Dutch entry had perhaps been a cover version of The Defiled Sanctuary.  Sadly not.
This made me smile (a lot)! Thank you.
"Do you think that I could have composed what I have composed, do you think that one can write a single note with life in it if one sits there and pities oneself?"

vandermolen

Royaume Uni, Nul Points again last night!

A music contact friend posted me this, from an earlier contest. I found it hilarious (contains bad language):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTgCLfYdRo4

Herman

I haven't watched this ever in my life.

What I did notice this time around is more people claimed to be watching it with great, UN-IRONIC interest than ever before, either due to lockdown fatigue or to pressure from social media. Or both.

Used to be a given that the various acts were basically terrible and only to be watched tongue-in-cheek. Now people seemed to be wholly seriously invested in this.