Main Menu

Nah

Started by Thatfabulousalien, May 26, 2017, 05:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thatfabulousalien

Nah
Not interested aye?  8)

kishnevi

You are already in Saturday down there, right? Which means tomorrow is Sunday... which means you have assignments due on Sunday?   ???
Isn't the concept of "the weekend" known to Australia?

NikF

An early start to the day by beginning 'Mickey Baker's Complete Course in Jazz Guitar'

[asin]0825652804[/asin]

I spent a couple of hours with it and although it felt kind of like being dropped in the deep end that's okay, because I'm not easily intimidated by things. And it'll make a nice contrast to my trapeze lessons later this afternoon.
So that's my random daily, personal adventures and stuff for today. ;D
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Mirror Image

Quote from: NikF on May 28, 2017, 07:24:56 PM
An early start to the day by beginning 'Mickey Baker's Complete Course in Jazz Guitar'

[asin]0825652804[/asin]

I spent a couple of hours with it and although it felt kind of like being dropped in the deep end that's okay, because I'm not easily intimidated by things. And it'll make a nice contrast to my trapeze lessons later this afternoon.
So that's my random daily, personal adventures and stuff for today. ;D

Very cool. In some respects, I could be considered a jazz guitarist, but I certainly don't claim to be one because I'm just not that good. Speaking of tutorials, books, and such, I remember working my way through a good bit of a book by Mick Goodrick titled The Advancing Guitarist that helped me out earlier on, but I couldn't even recall what I learned from it now. The thing is, whenever you've played for as long as I have, you tend to forget things easily and I've probably written more pieces that I've forgotten about than I actually remember. :)

NikF

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 28, 2017, 07:42:42 PM
Very cool. In some respects, I could be considered a jazz guitarist, but I certainly don't claim to be one because I'm just not that good. Speaking of tutorials, books, and such, I remember working my way through a good bit of a book by Mick Goodrick titled The Advancing Guitarist that helped me out earlier on, but I couldn't even recall what I learned from it now. The thing is, whenever you've played for as long as I have, you tend to forget things easily and I've probably written more pieces that I've forgotten about than I actually remember. :)

That's interesting. Do you play often? I knew you played guitar, but not about the jazz. :) Also, it's good that I have a potential source for info if I want advice or an insight into a particular aspect of what I'm learning? ;D
I'm also working through the Fred Noad book with a classical guitar. But I've been meaning to make a start on the jazz one for some time now. I'm already finding it challenging, but that's cool with me. 8)
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Mirror Image

Quote from: NikF on May 28, 2017, 08:01:53 PM
That's interesting. Do you play often? I knew you played guitar, but not about the jazz. :) Also, it's good that I have a potential source for info if I want advice or an insight into a particular aspect of what I'm learning? ;D
I'm also working through the Fred Noad book with a classical guitar. But I've been meaning to make a start on the jazz one for some time now. I'm already finding it challenging, but that's cool with me. 8)

Oh yes, I still play quite a bit. When I practice these days, I'm mostly working on pieces or trying to come up with some new ideas. I'm not sure how much help I can be to you as I've had other people approach me for lessons and I had to turn them down because I really haven't the slightest idea of what I'm doing on the guitar most of the time. :) It's certainly flattering to have those few people approach me for lessons, though. If you couldn't tell already, I'm quite modest about my own playing and talent, but pretty much anyone is a better player than me. That's cool that you're learning classical-style playing, because that's very helpful to learn, especially when it comes to fingerpicking. I'm not too good with my fingers and still use a plectrum.

NikF

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 28, 2017, 08:20:22 PM
Oh yes, I still play quite a bit. When I practice these days, I'm mostly working on pieces or trying to come up with some new ideas. I'm not sure how much help I can be to you as I've had other people approach me for lessons and I had to turn them down because I really haven't the slightest idea of what I'm doing on the guitar most of the time. :) It's certainly flattering to have those few people approach me for lessons, though. If you couldn't tell already, I'm quite modest about my own playing and talent, but pretty much anyone is a better player than me. That's cool that you're learning classical-style playing, because that's very helpful to learn, especially when it comes to fingerpicking. I'm not too good with my fingers and still use a plectrum.

That you still play and practice and try to come up with ideas - all of that is good and positive. I believe it important to move forward. At least, that's what I always try to do in everything. And I never quit.
Yeah, the finger picking, it's something else. I got bits and pieces from Danny Gatton and Joe Pass - the former using a combo of guitar pick and then the remaining fingers technique adapted from banjo rolls. I find it flexible as hell and at least twice as difficult ;D But as I said, it's all cool. And it helps keep me from hanging around street corners.  :laugh:
Anyway, keep enjoying playing.  8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: NikF on May 28, 2017, 08:38:47 PM
That you still play and practice and try to come up with ideas - all of that is good and positive. I believe it important to move forward. At least, that's what I always try to do in everything. And I never quit.
Yeah, the finger picking, it's something else. I got bits and pieces from Danny Gatton and Joe Pass - the former using a combo of guitar pick and then the remaining fingers technique adapted from banjo rolls. I find it flexible as hell and at least twice as difficult ;D But as I said, it's all cool. And it helps keep me from hanging around street corners.  :laugh:
Anyway, keep enjoying playing.  8)

That's very true and I'm glad to hearing you're enjoying playing. That's the most important thing. Yep, the technique with the plectrum and fingers is referred to as hybrid picking and I should really work on that because there's some passages that are difficult to play with just the plectrum. Guys like Wes Montgomery and John Abercrombie, however, only use their thumbs and that's quite difficult to do, but I do find that you have much more control whenever you're using your fingers.

TheGSMoeller

NikF

Today a small mystery was solved.
During the hot days of summer my ex used to leave a bowl of water by our gate for passing dogs and another on garden wall for cats. I've continued to do so this year, but I was disappointed to find the bowl for dogs was being stolen. Then today came a knock at the door courtesy of a guy bearing the stolen bowls. He had a sidekick - a wild eyed border collie - who was identified as the thief. ;D

XB-70 Valkyrie

I am authoring yet another peer-reviewed scientific paper, and uh, well doctor, for all the good it will do me I may as well  ***** ** ** ** ***!

In a recent conversation, my aunt actually was shocked to find that scientific journals don't PAY me for these articles!

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

aleazk

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on May 30, 2017, 07:16:07 PM
I am authoring yet another peer-reviewed scientific paper, and uh, well doctor, for all the good it will do me I may as well  ***** ** ** ** ***!

In a recent conversation, my aunt actually was shocked to find that scientific journals don't PAY me for these articles!

Ha, indeed... and let's not start talking about those journals that, in addition, actually ASK YOU TO PAY THEM if you want your article to be  published!  :laugh: >:(

NikF

Woke, weighed myself (159lbs - but I want to see how I feel at about 150-153 now), lifted weights followed by 3x3 minute rounds on the heavy bag, buzzed hair (number 0 - no guard on clippers), showered and shaved, put on a new (fitted ;)) white T-shirt, filled water bowls in garden for wandering cats and dogs, left broadband connection open (for wandering illegal downloaders? ;D), up the hill to a local shop and bought a pint of milk, walked along the road drinking the milk directly out the carton because I'm as common as muck, entered the park, said "Hi" to the guy trimming topiary, found an empty bench and started to read my book ('Girl, 20' by Kingsley Amis), realised I forgot to put on sunblock, watched a dog run past that had a tail like a propeller, started to feel the sun on my freshly shaved head, left the park, went to the deli (steak sandwich and a tomato and feta salad), down the hill, waved to my amateur violinist neighbour driving by, washed hands, eat, tea (Co-op 99), shower, and now considering a single malt and some jazz in the garden or if it's too warm then more tea and an episode of 'American Gods'.

XB-70 Valkyrie

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

NikF

Today at short notice (and out of the goodness of my dark heart) I set up a medium format slide projector for an art student's installation. Her mother was there and it was obvious she liked me, but she got all flustered and awkward about it. ;D The venue had a coffee bar and so I took her in there and got her to write her number on a napkin because I don't always carry a phone.
It was a nice night and so I walked home, including passing a group of feral street urchins and then further up the road a staggering drunk dude who couldn't hold a tune.
Now I'm sitting and drinking a (Talisker) single malt ahead of my date with Julie London in the 'What Jazz are you listening to now?' thread.

NikF

Yesterday I was supposed to meet my friend but we had to rearrange for today. So this morning we went and tried out a few guitars in order to start narrowing down the choices available to me. Afterwards we met his new-ish girlfriend (his latest pixie/Edie Sedgwick clone ;D) for lunch. We settled for a humble cafe and the waitress - nearer my age than theirs - took their orders first and then looked at me, rolled her eyes and almost begrudgingly asked "And what about you?" Charming. :o I don't know what I did to deserve that. ??? I've never met her before in my life. :laugh:
So I just said "Any chance of a cup of tea, please?" I got it along with a spinach and onion omelette. We ate, we left, Iain put his nymphet in a taxi and then helped me remove some stuff from my house. A thrill a minute, veritable adrenaline rush, exotic lifestyle, well worthy of documentation.

drogulus

I was thinking I'd sure like to be that guy, except I hate mowing the lawn.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

NikF

What is today? Today is shoe shine day. Once a week it takes me anywhere between about 40 to 60 minutes depending on how many pairs I am shining. I have two identical pairs of these boots (and much like work cameras, there's a third pair still boxed ;D) in rotation -

- along with a brown pair of boots and a black pair of brogues. But the black boots are sturdy, look good with a leather jacket, and receive compliments from women. Bonus: they also lend themselves nicely to splashing in puddles and if required, running away from the cops.
I might look like crap, but my boots are always cool. 8) Shoe shine day. :)

vandermolen

Quote from: NikF on May 30, 2017, 03:49:59 PM
Today a small mystery was solved.
During the hot days of summer my ex used to leave a bowl of water by our gate for passing dogs and another on garden wall for cats. I've continued to do so this year, but I was disappointed to find the bowl for dogs was being stolen. Then today came a knock at the door courtesy of a guy bearing the stolen bowls. He had a sidekick - a wild eyed border collie - who was identified as the thief. ;D
Excellent!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

NikF

Quote from: Neil Asuolubaftaht on June 06, 2017, 07:38:54 PM
I'm going to a Bill Frisell concert tonight!!!  ;D ;D ;D

I'm so thrilled about it, I just got my tickets  8)

Cool. Hope you enjoy it. Let me know if he plays a Telecaster?

Other news:

(Not my photo)

This is the pond I run around in the mornings. I always count the ducks (nine) to make sure they're all there ;D and then make my way to the path just visible here on the left, where I run sprint intervals. At this time of year the good weather means a variety of people use that path too, so tomorrow (after going to vote!) I'm going to try out the purpose built hill trail and see if it's quieter.