Main Menu

Nah

Started by Thatfabulousalien, May 26, 2017, 05:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: NikF on July 09, 2017, 04:53:24 AM
I just invented the idea of fish caramels in an attempt to poke fun at the more unlikely/eclectic combos of flavours some people enjoy. ;D

I only bought one cheese. Nothing very exotic, just a traditional Scottish soft cheese called Highland Crowdie.
From another stall I bought a small jar of homemade tomato and chilli relish, which I'm hoping will be good with the cheese and some oatcakes. 8)

I can't remember eating Danish Blue. But today I saw some Lanark Blue and one other I've forgotten the name of. Maybe next time I'll get a small piece of that too. :)

Oh that sounds nice! I am sure they will go together very well. :)

NikF

Today is a gym day but also the once a month shave my head day. No guard on the clippers and so it ends up as short as it can be without using a razor. And it's the quickest haircut in the world - three or four minutes. ;D
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Crudblud

Yesterday evening my mother drove me to visit a Border Collie puppy for sale. The puppy was lovely, but the woman trying to sell it was bizarrely fascinating. She told us that the dog had come to live with her as of yesterday, from some place in Dorset, which is about a four-and-a-half hour drive from Sheffield, where we live and also where the woman lives. The puppy was obviously very much at home in that house, and was clearly attached to the woman, both behaviours I would only expect to see in a dog that had been settled somewhere for at least a few weeks, if not a few months. But she carried on with the tale, saying that she had not been forewarned of the puppy's mouthiness, which is not only common in puppies but in the Border Collie as a breed—their nipping comes from their herding instinct, as they are farm dogs bred for working with sheep and other livestock—and was so angry with the previous owner for this omission that she had broken off contact completely.

We asked to take the puppy out in the garden to see how it behaved when outside. Immediately we noticed several turds on the lawn, which had obviously been there for many days. The woman said "she only goes toilet on this part of the garden," and my mother said "I thought you only got her yesterday," and the woman said "Yeah, I did," as if it were not at all strange that the dog had learned to go in a particular spot in just one day. Then I asked to take her on the lead for a little walk on the pavement, and she said that was fine, and so I took her, but almost immediately the woman called to her, and the dog pulled to return, reinforcing once more the dog's attachment to her. She had said that the dog was very good on the lead, and for a very young Collie she wasn't bad, my previous Collie, Charlie (see the pet memorial thread), was probably worse at that age, but the woman seemed uneasy at the prospect of the dog being allowed to speak for itself, as it were.

When we returned inside the house, we naturally asked for the dog's veterinary documents showing that she had been fully vaccinated and so forth, but the woman said that she did not have them. She said once more that she would not talk to the previous owners, so I asked for their phone number, and she said "I highly doubt they'll tell you anything," and kept trying to deflect on further questioning, offering instead to "phone vets in their area," which I took as a good time to suggest that we leave. So we left, spending the return journey discussing approximately how much bullshit she'd been trying to feed us. All in all quite a fun Sunday evening, although I am concerned for that puppy which, while it didn't appear to have been abused in any way, certainly did not appear to be in capable hands. My theory is that the woman had purchased the dog from a farm at eight weeks, as is common for Collie pups, has now realised that she cannot handle it, and is too proud to admit this. If she had only been honest and presented the documentation I may well have given her the money and taken the dog, but there was clearly something very strange going on there.

NikF

Quote from: Crudblud on July 10, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
Yesterday evening my mother drove me to visit a Border Collie puppy for sale. The puppy was lovely, but the woman trying to sell it was bizarrely fascinating. She told us that the dog had come to live with her as of yesterday, from some place in Dorset, which is about a four-and-a-half hour drive from Sheffield, where we live and also where the woman lives. The puppy was obviously very much at home in that house, and was clearly attached to the woman, both behaviours I would only expect to see in a dog that had been settled somewhere for at least a few weeks, if not a few months. But she carried on with the tale, saying that she had not been forewarned of the puppy's mouthiness, which is not only common in puppies but in the Border Collie as a breed—their nipping comes from their herding instinct, as they are farm dogs bred for working with sheep and other livestock—and was so angry with the previous owner for this omission that she had broken off contact completely.

We asked to take the puppy out in the garden to see how it behaved when outside. Immediately we noticed several turds on the lawn, which had obviously been there for many days. The woman said "she only goes toilet on this part of the garden," and my mother said "I thought you only got her yesterday," and the woman said "Yeah, I did," as if it were not at all strange that the dog had learned to go in a particular spot in just one day. Then I asked to take her on the lead for a little walk on the pavement, and she said that was fine, and so I took her, but almost immediately the woman called to her, and the dog pulled to return, reinforcing once more the dog's attachment to her. She had said that the dog was very good on the lead, and for a very young Collie she wasn't bad, my previous Collie, Charlie (see the pet memorial thread), was probably worse at that age, but the woman seemed uneasy at the prospect of the dog being allowed to speak for itself, as it were.

When we returned inside the house, we naturally asked for the dog's veterinary documents showing that she had been fully vaccinated and so forth, but the woman said that she did not have them. She said once more that she would not talk to the previous owners, so I asked for their phone number, and she said "I highly doubt they'll tell you anything," and kept trying to deflect on further questioning, offering instead to "phone vets in their area," which I took as a good time to suggest that we leave. So we left, spending the return journey discussing approximately how much bullshit she'd been trying to feed us. All in all quite a fun Sunday evening, although I am concerned for that puppy which, while it didn't appear to have been abused in any way, certainly did not appear to be in capable hands. My theory is that the woman had purchased the dog from a farm at eight weeks, as is common for Collie pups, has now realised that she cannot handle it, and is too proud to admit this. If she had only been honest and presented the documentation I may well have given her the money and taken the dog, but there was clearly something very strange going on there.

Yeah, sounds like you called that one right. It all appears inconsistent and dodgy as hell. But on a more positive note, it's great that you feel ready to welcome a new little friend into your life. Good stuff.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

NikF

I'm off for a gentle run around the park and alongside the golf course. At some point I'll do this because it's more of a challenge outside than indoors at home or a gym. This guy is Steve Cotter. He does kettlebell instructional videos but also a lot of other stuff with a minimum of broscience -

http://www.youtube.com/v/gpTKt9Jwmuk

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proprioception

It's part of the reason I feel good. I think it's easy for some people to get all worked up about stuff in the course of an ordinary day, but there's no need to be that way. Sure, it takes time and patience, but those are always a worthwhile investment. Some dude cuts you off at a junction, gets your coffee order wrong, bruises your little ego on Twitter, craps in your hat? - stay calm. It's never worth losing your cool.
That video is only thirty seconds long. Give it a try? If you do, start with your eyes open. And stay calm. Everything's cool.  8)

Karl Henning

You know, I should benefit from taking that exercise up.

Quote from: NikF on July 11, 2017, 01:40:18 AM
[...] Some dude cuts you off at a junction, gets your coffee order wrong, bruises your little ego on Twitter, craps in your hat? - stay calm. It's never worth losing your cool.

You ain't kiddin'.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

NikF

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 11, 2017, 04:45:03 AM
You know, I should benefit from taking that exercise up.

Good stuff. And if you do, keep in mind that while keeping your balance is a success, the real goal is to always keep your cool throughout.  8)

Karl Henning

Quote from: NikF on July 11, 2017, 09:57:30 AM
Good stuff. And if you do, keep in mind that while keeping your balance is a success, the real goal is to always keep your cool throughout.  8)

Verily.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

NikF

Today it is a gym day. And it is foggy. In July? Well, it won't make the weights any heavier.
After my workout I'm meeting Iain (and his lovely model girlfriend :-*) at the Ichiban Noodle Bar for lunch.
Then I'm probably going to see another friend and colleague who is doing a job for a fashion retailer.
I don't know what I'm doing after that, although anything can happen. Anything. Zombie holocaust? Ninja swarm? Giant robot invasion? Ethel Merman mass hallucinations? You can never know for sure. But I won't see it in my way, regardless. 8)

Crudblud

Quote from: NikF on July 11, 2017, 12:44:00 AM
Yeah, sounds like you called that one right. It all appears inconsistent and dodgy as hell. But on a more positive note, it's great that you feel ready to welcome a new little friend into your life. Good stuff.

She never got back in touch either, so I guess she's really committed to getting a sucker to take that dog no questions asked. It worries me, because while in all likelihood the dog has had its vaccinations, any doubt on that front is a serious risk.

But yeah, the house feels so empty without a dog around. I'm currently looking into getting a rescue, but the homecheck procedure is pretty stringent, I'm not sure how it's going to be possible to convince them the small garden won't be a problem. From what I understand they're obsessed with gardens.

NikF

Quote from: Crudblud on July 11, 2017, 11:45:40 PM
But yeah, the house feels so empty without a dog around. I'm currently looking into getting a rescue, but the homecheck procedure is pretty stringent, I'm not sure how it's going to be possible to convince them the small garden won't be a problem. From what I understand they're obsessed with gardens.

It might indeed be that they're obsessed with gardens and that they think your garden too small. It might also be that they view any shortcoming in the size of the garden as an acceptable compromise when the home considered as a whole is a warm and loving one. It's hard to know. And there's not really anything you can do about it. All you can be sure of is that eventually you'll find yourself with a new friend.
Do keep us updated?

Crudblud

Quote from: NikF on July 12, 2017, 12:10:09 AM
It might indeed be that they're obsessed with gardens and that they think your garden too small. It might also be that they view any shortcoming in the size of the garden as an acceptable compromise when the home considered as a whole is a warm and loving one. It's hard to know. And there's not really anything you can do about it. All you can be sure of is that eventually you'll find yourself with a new friend.
Do keep us updated?

I guess it depends on whether they think quick and easy access to the Peak District national park and other countryside is a plus or not. When it comes to giving a dog plenty of safe off-lead running you're kind of spoilt for choice around here, so to me the garden is a total non-issue, but they can only rely on what they see for themselves. Today I'm feeling cautiously optimistic, but really the odds are not stacked in my favour. I will be posting more about it when there's news.

Ghost Sonata

Quote from: NikF on July 12, 2017, 12:10:09 AM
Do keep us updated?

My granny rescued a mutt named Fred whose idea of a garden was something on which to sit.  Preferred granny's potato plants most of all.  Most dogs have impressed me over the years as being intelligent creatures, one way or another (eg: I'm told our family dog, Chubby, saved my life as a toddler when I wanted to cross a road and he latched onto my diaper and refused to let go).  But not Fred; he died doing what he most enjoyed, chasing cars - he was obsessed with them. 
I like Conor71's "I  like old Music" signature.

kishnevi

Quote from: Crudblud on July 12, 2017, 06:03:52 AM
I guess it depends on whether they think quick and easy access to the Peak District national park and other countryside is a plus or not. When it comes to giving a dog plenty of safe off-lead running you're kind of spoilt for choice around here, so to me the garden is a total non-issue, but they can only rely on what they see for themselves. Today I'm feeling cautiously optimistic, but really the odds are not stacked in my favour. I will be posting more about it when there's news.

Good luck.  I must say that, as a Yank, the process you're having to go through is a bit boggling.   
This is how it works with my local Humane Society.  Apparently all that's needed is to pay the fee, pick the pet, and off you go.

http://humanebroward.com/adoptions/

aleazk

I started to typeset on the computer a set of very detailed notes (nearly three notebooks) on a subject in general relativity (called global methods) which I took five years ago when I was studying it (and a bit obsessed). The final goal would be to make those notes into a textbook. I think this is the right time for this because, with all the new stuff about colliding/merging black holes from the ligo gravitational waves detectors, likely there will be a new peak of interest on this from many young researchers. These methods are necessary to prove some very hard theorems that give some very general results about the dynamics of such systems. These results were obtained in the 1970s, mostly by S.Hawking, so there's nothing really very new (maybe except for some few things). Nevertheless, any researcher entering into the field of black hole mergers has to be familiar with these results since they provide the general big picture on which one further investigates the details. The theorems as well as the methods are presented in a book by Hawking which is infamously hard to read because it uses an awkward notation and redaction style. Worse, the proof of one of the most important theorems (the one that says that the resulting black hole stabilizes to a configuration that can be described by only three parameters, which are mass, angular momentum and charge, and which is called a Kerr black hole) is scattered in many different papers by different authors, where each contributed to solve some part of the proof. This theorem can actually be seen in the wave profile obtained by ligo, since the merging ends in a ringdown (in my opinion, that should be enough to give a Nobel prize to Hawking and all the other authors that contributed to that proof). My book aims to be more accessible and readable.

On the other hand, I have been also typesetting for some time now another set of notes with the hope to complete a very ambituous  book about mathematical quantum mechanics which goes from the basics to quantum gravity. I have two and a half chapters of eight so far, as well as several appendices which develop with some detail many topics that are needed for reading the book.

So far, progress is steady but somewhat slow. I wish I could do it faster.

NikF

Quote from: aleazk on July 12, 2017, 09:52:12 PM
I started to typeset on the computer a set of very detailed notes (nearly three notebooks) on a subject in general relativity (called global methods) which I took five years ago when I was studying it (and a bit obsessed). The final goal would be to make those notes into a textbook. I think this is the right time for this because, with all the new stuff about colliding/merging black holes from the ligo gravitational waves detectors, likely there will be a new peak of interest on this from many young researchers. These methods are necessary to prove some very hard theorems that give some very general results about the dynamics of such systems. These results were obtained in the 1970s, mostly by S.Hawking, so there's nothing really very new (maybe except for some few things). Nevertheless, any researcher entering into the field of black hole mergers has to be familiar with these results since they provide the general big picture on which one further investigates the details. The theorems as well as the methods are presented in a book by Hawking which is infamously hard to read because it uses an awkward notation and redaction style. Worse, the proof of one of the most important theorems (the one that says that the resulting black hole stabilizes to a configuration that can be described by only three parameters, which are mass, angular momentum and charge, and which is called a Kerr black hole) is scattered in many different papers by different authors, where each contributed to solve some part of the proof. This theorem can actually be seen in the wave profile obtained by ligo, since the merging ends in a ringdown (in my opinion, that should be enough to give a Nobel prize to Hawking and all the other authors that contributed to that proof). My book aims to be more accessible and readable.

On the other hand, I have been also typesetting for some time now another set of notes with the hope to complete a very ambituous  book about mathematical quantum mechanics which goes from the basics to quantum gravity. I have two and a half chapters of eight so far, as well as several appendices which develop with some detail many topics that are needed for reading the book.

It wont help you right now now, but "This too will pass". You'll get it done. :)

My day -
Rain. And I'm mowing the lawn today. *mumble grumble*

NikF

Karl Henning

Quote from: NikF on July 12, 2017, 11:14:52 PM
My day -
Rain. And I'm mowing the lawn today. *mumble grumble*

Yester even, at-times-torrential downpour, and flash floods. It was actually a curiously relaxing time, driving in this sonically immersive experience while playing Scarlatti on the car sound system. But it helped that I wasn't going far, nor was in any hurry. Cool was maintained, without strain.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

NikF

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 13, 2017, 02:23:56 AM

Yester even, at-times-torrential downpour, and flash floods. It was actually a curiously relaxing time, driving in this sonically immersive experience while playing Scarlatti on the car sound system. But it helped that I wasn't going far, nor was in any hurry. Cool was maintained, without strain.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reading that has gone some way to warm the cockles of my dark and cynical heart. Good stuff.  8)

bwv 1080

Quote from: aleazk on July 12, 2017, 09:52:12 PM

Cool, do you have a link to a general explanation, is this a set of solutions to the field equations? (I don't really know this stuff, but have enough of an interest in physics and math to learn to some precision what I dont know)