Author Topic: Henning's Headquarters  (Read 787219 times)

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
Re: Henning's Headquarters
« Reply #8100 on: March 31, 2020, 03:46:06 PM »
Gotcha. What sounds are you using for playback? Default Sibelius sounds or something different?

Just the Sibelius sounds lib.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #8101 on: March 31, 2020, 04:06:10 PM »
This is "only" soft-core news, especially given the fact that orchestras' life is on hold indefinitely, but there is true potential, and it warmeth my heart:

An old friend (on the phone today, we recalled that we go back 30 years) who leads a good community orchestra, and who has seen, and not forgotten, White Nights has struck up a collaboration with a dance school nearby. So he has asked me for a 10 or 12-minute "vignette" from the ballet which he will pass on to the dance school director with the query, "does this inspire you?" With an idea to perform that portion of the ballet with dancers.

Now, years since, when I showed a bit of White Nights to my friend (I'll call him Carl) One of the numbers I showed him is Scene 2, A Walk in the Meadows, which is scored for strings alone.  Cut to the present, and for whatever passel of reasons, he needs a 10-12 minute extract from the ballet which is for strings alone, or strings plus non-concertante piano. I am too gratified by the thought of a performance, to let the project founder on such a point, so . . . I realize that Scene 3a, Nastenka at the Bridge will adapt quite easily for strings plus non-concertante piano; so that's what I am working on, today.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #8102 on: March 31, 2020, 04:24:10 PM »

Coincidentally:

Right now, listening to Karl Henning’s instrumental music. One of the pieces is for percussion, all the others feature the clarinet, either solo or in combination with other instruments - lots of variety!

- Square Dance op 71 is for clarinet quartet.
- Murmur of Many Waters op 57 is for percussion ensemble.
- Canzona ... & Gigue op 77 are for clarinet and organ.
- Fragments of « Morning Has Broken » op 55 is scored for violin, clarinet and piano.
- I Sang to the Sky, & Day Broke op 55 and Out in the Sun op 88 are for winds (the excellent New England Conservatory Wind Ensemble).
- Three Things That Begin with ‘C’ op 65a - Cats, Clouds, Canaries are scored for viola and clarinet.
- Irreplaceable Doodles op 89 is for solo clarinet.

The composer plays in 5 of these pieces. This is a fun disc. I like the way the music makes place for different feelings, different layers of musical communication. The music is ‘on the move’, not staying very long in one place, ready to advance to the next statement. It reminds me of Stravinsky’s Jeu de cartes in its epigrammatic demeanor. When it’s said, it’s said. No lingering. I found the same quality in the choral works I listened to last week.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #8103 on: March 31, 2020, 04:27:54 PM »
Fort apprécié, mon ami!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #8104 on: March 31, 2020, 05:23:16 PM »
Mais de rien  ;).

I like to understand how a piece of music is built, its language, and what means are used to convey its message.  Harmony and conciseness are two qualities I value highly. I like music that appeals to the intelligence, not just the emotions.

Later this week (or next) I will listen to your Passion According to St John. I feel it is appropriate for the times we are living in.

Online edward

• Veteran member
  • Hello, little man. I will destroy you.
« Reply #8105 on: Today at 07:20:22 AM »
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
 -- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #8106 on: Today at 07:53:44 AM »
Many thanks!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA