Ron's Talking's Compositions

Started by Rons_talking, June 04, 2017, 01:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rons_talking

Here is a new selection of my compositions (2-13-18) I continue to update them weekly. All have been composed in the past three years; some are lyrical and tonally oriented while others are more challenging.

Revising the interlude for the Sinfonia: https://soundcloud.com/ronald-roumanis/epilogue?in=ronald-roumanis/sets/sinfonia-18-for-11-players

Piano-wind quartet 1st piece: https://soundcloud.com/ronald-roumanis/apnowins?in=ronald-roumanis/sets/8-works-for-piano-and-4-winds

Finished on 2/4/18: https://soundcloud.com/ronald-roumanis/meditations-after-light
This is a work for 4 players that is quiet and calm in the Feldman/Webern sense (mostly ;))

Karl Henning

I'll check these out when not at the office (tech nannydom blocks SoundCloud).
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Crudblud

Some interesting harmonies and rhythms. I rather enjoyed the "La La Land" piece in particular, but at a glance there is consistency among your uploaded works. If there is an issue for me, it's that MIDI mock-ups made based on performing scores don't tend to make for convincing accounts. I would consider giving these a little fine detail work, but I don't know how flexible scorewriters are in terms of letting you go beyond the score and into the numbers actually controlling everything (i.e.: into all the decisions which, in a performance, would be made reflexively by the performer). If your software allows you to change note parameters and tempi on a granular level it's definitely worth taking a little time to fine tune the rendering, especially if it will be your main means of representing your work in audio form until recordings are are available. Please do not take this as a criticism of the compositions themselves, it's just something I tend to notice when confronted with this particular application of MIDI, that's all.

Lastly, congratulations on the upcoming performances, and best of luck in your future efforts.

Rons_talking

Thanks for the reply. As far as tempi and dynamics, my choices are limited in playback. But most of my music is not as full of markings as works of  a lot of modern composers. But your point is well-taken, and I'll see what I can add for the playback when I'm back home.

Robert101

Wow! I just listened to the piano moods and La-La land piece. Those piano works are great little miniatures; your harmonic shifts and lyrical passages are moving. Are you a jazz player? I didn't have time to listen to the last chamber pieces but look forward to listening to them. I like new music that still has a tonal sound at times. I hope to hear a recording of a good player on the piano work.

Rons_talking

Quote from: Robert101 on June 20, 2017, 08:27:48 AM
Wow! I just listened to the piano moods and La-La land piece. Those piano works are great little miniatures; your harmonic shifts and lyrical passages are moving. Are you a jazz player? I didn't have time to listen to the last chamber pieces but look forward to listening to them. I like new music that still has a tonal sound at times. I hope to hear a recording of a good player on the piano work.

Thanks 101...I know the fidelity of these recordings is not great but I'm glad you listened.  I hope you get a chance to listen to more :) .

ComposerOfAvantGarde

These pieces are delightful. I love the contrasts, the fast pace, keeps me on my toes. I feel I can say that for most of the works on the soundcloud page. :)

Robert101

I just listened to the Jungle symphony and really liked it (some parts were hard to hear), especially the second half. The mood shifts are so natural and evocative. Did you know Peter Racine Fricker? I saw the dedication.

The 9th Sonata was bad-ass. Really exciting in the outer movements. And the slow movement was lovely--again with the harmonic shifts. Nice work!

Karl Henning

Quote from: Rons_talking on June 13, 2017, 11:04:31 PM
Here it is...my Jungle Symphony for chamber orchestra.

What is the scoring?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Rons_talking

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 24, 2017, 06:50:04 AM
What is the scoring?

Flute, Oboe, Clar, B. Clarinet, Bassoon
Timp, Glock, Vibr,
Piano
Strings 2,2,2,2,1

I'm on the road and will post the score upon returning home.

Rons_talking

Quote from: Robert101 on June 23, 2017, 07:57:12 AM
I just listened to the Jungle symphony and really liked it (some parts were hard to hear), especially the second half. The mood shifts are so natural and evocative. Did you know Peter Racine Fricker? I saw the dedication.

The 9th Sonata was bad-ass. Really exciting in the outer movements. And the slow movement was lovely--again with the harmonic shifts. Nice work!

To answer your questions: Yes PRF was my first teacher after my Dad who was a jazz musician and composer. I was thinking about PRF when I wrote the ostinato that pop up from time to time. Thanks for the comments...

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Rons_talking on June 24, 2017, 07:04:36 AM
Flute, Oboe, Clar, Bassoon
Timp, Glock, Vibr,
Piano
Strings

I'm on the road and will post the score upon returning home.
I presume there aren't many string players required at all, because of the chamber proportions? Is it solo strings or something like two or three per part?

Rons_talking

Quote from: jessop on June 24, 2017, 04:29:15 PM
I presume there aren't many string players required at all, because of the chamber proportions? Is it solo strings or something like two or three per part?

2,2,2,1,1 would be satisfactory, though double that would be better. There's a lot of divisi. As I composed this while living on a remote island off the coast of western Canada (with no forthcoming performance plans) I was thinking in terms of "smallish" orchestra rather than chamber size. But that's flexible. ;)  I'm in the process of moving... probably to the Toronto area, and will have real musicians in the region.

Rons_talking

I've just updated a list of my piano music.
https://soundcloud.com/ronald-roumanis/sets/piano-music

Included are Sonatas 4, 8, 14, and the finale of 5. Plus some preludes, etc.
S4 is sort of neoclassical, S8 is 1 movment, kinda tonal but jarring as well. S 14 is craggy on the outsides, and S5 3rd is wacky.

I hope you listen and comment...

Karl Henning

Will do, but it may be the weekend.  Please do not take the delay as any discourtesy.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Rons_talking

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 28, 2017, 07:00:57 AM
Will do, but it may be the weekend.  Please do not take the delay as any discourtesy.

There's no deadline here ;).  No one wants an impatient listener!

bwv 1080

Nice, deserves some live musicians to play it

Robert101

I just listened to the Piano Sonata 4, which has some really good stuff in it. The 2nd Movement is spellbinding. I also like the finale. Has this been performed live?

Rons_talking

Quote from: bwv 1080 on June 29, 2017, 07:45:21 AM
Nice, deserves some live musicians to play it

Thanks! I'm not certain which piece you're referring to, but much of the piano music will be premiered this fall. I have only recently returned to an urban area after living on a remote island near the Alaska-Canada border for years...hence the automated performance.

Rons_talking

Quote from: Robert101 on July 07, 2017, 03:27:42 PM
I just listened to the Piano Sonata 4, which has some really good stuff in it. The 2nd Movement is spellbinding. I also like the finale. Has this been performed live?

Thanks! It should be performed reasonably soon, but I'm changing a few things a bit.